Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Manually placing video on a 5G?

Manually placing video on a 5G?
keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Dec 4, 2005, 10:52 AM

I'm running 10.2.8 so I can't use iTunes to install videos or buy videos from iTunes (10.3.9 or higher required). I've downloaded a couple videos offered here by fellow MacNN'ers but can't figure out how to get them on my iPod.

I tried placing the iPod in disk mode and just dragging and dropping the videos onto the drive, but that didn't work.

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2005, 03:44 PM

It needs to be part of the iTunes library. I haven't found a way to do it manually. Videos are treated almost exactly like songs, just well, with video. :-)
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

crooner
Senior User
Dec 4, 2005, 03:48 PM

keekeeree,
is there a specific reason (necessary and incompatible software, etc.) you are still using 10.2.8? Tiger is one heck of an OS.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

keekeeree  (op)
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Dec 4, 2005, 04:15 PM

Yeah, I've thought about making the jump to Tiger, but Apple only sells it on DVD and the B&W G3 (with a G4 Sonnet) I have doesn't have a DVD drive. Seems silly to me to spend $130 for an unusable DVD just get a sales receipt and the UPC code just to send in to Apple with even more money to have Tiger on a set of CDs.

And honestly, right now there isn't anything that 10.4 offers that makes it a must-have for me over 10.2.8 other than full compatibility with my iPod (video & contacts). Hell, then to get the "free" apps that ship on a mini I'd have to spend another $80 to get iLife. After it's all said and done, that's half the price of a new Mac mini. And if I don't want to wait for the CDs, I could buy an external DVD-ROM, then I would be up to the price of a new Mac mini.

Apple used to advertise that upgrading your OS was like getting a new computer for only $99. Hell...now I can practically get a new computer for the price of the OS.

But I don't want a new computer. I want the new OS and I want to do it simply.

Well, that's not entirely true. I do want a new computer. I'll probably be getting a new iBook or Powerbook in the next month, but I've heard that the OS that ships with new computers these days are hardware specific, leaving me in the same damn boat I am now if I want to upgrade the PowerMac.

Anyway...after all that, right now what I really want to do is play with my new iPod by playing a couple of classic Apple ads on it just to show off the capabilities. This isn't life or death, just fun.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2005, 05:56 PM

Well, you could at least get 10.3.x. You can find it relatively cheaply now that tiger's out. I'm still using 10.3.9 without any problems. I'm waiting until I buy my next computer to move to Tiger.

crooner
Senior User
Dec 4, 2005, 07:31 PM

I can see (somewhat) your logic for not wanting to take on the investment required to move to Tiger. Icruise has a very good point, however, regarding good deals on Panther (10.3).

It just seems a shame to not be able to take full advantage of the great things your new iPod can do!

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2005, 11:14 PM

I'd think that the iPod stores its movies in the same hidden folder as the music, so it should be possible to just make this folder visible in the Finder (search the OS X forum or macosxhints.com for instructions on how to set the invisible bit via Terminal, or use one of the free tools from www.versiontracker.com ) and copy the films over manually.

I'm not sure if the 'Pod needs to register the available songs in some sort of central file, though, so this may not work...

wingchuner
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2005, 11:41 PM

iPod Disk
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19890

You should be able to use this. Transfer on and off Music/Video/Picture files.
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow's a Mystery,
Today is a Gift...
Which is why it is called the Present.
AIM- klovesrae

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2005, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
I'm not sure if the 'Pod needs to register the available songs in some sort of central file, though, so this may not work...
Yes. The "central file" is the iTunes database, updated on the iPod by iTunes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules