Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Playstation 3 Over 2 grand!!!!

Playstation 3 Over 2 grand!!!!
AUCTIONDONKEY
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 02:58 PM

We are now less than 24 hours from Playstation3 being released. The lines of people camped out to get one continue to grow at stores across America. The game system will be released tonight at midnight at some stores. Everybody else gets them Friday morning. People waiting have been shot by bb guns! Of course eBay sales are brisk! Over 2 grand a piece!!!!

Cool Techie Gadgets: Sony Playstation 3 is the Coolest new Techie Gadget you absolutely Can't F*cking get your hands on!!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 03:02 PM

anyone stupid enough to pay that much is well... stupid.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 03:02 PM

5 exclamation points = must see thread

AUCTIONDONKEY  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
5 exclamation points = must see thread
Only 4 !!!!

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 03:13 PM

Therefore, this thread is not must-see.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 03:13 PM

The big no no for me is when the user name matches the thread subject.

AUCTIONDONKEY  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 03:17 PM

PS3 Campers, Reporter Shot at in Kentucky! Thankfully, only a BB gun!! With that said, PS3 camping stories are becoming stranger and stranger by the minute, as local Kentucky news station WKYT was recording a segment on campers outside of Best Buy when someone rode by in a truck, fired off several rounds from a BB gun and drove off before police could arrive.

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 03:19 PM

That's just strange... why the heck would anyone even want a PS3?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
That's just strange... why the heck would anyone even want a PS3?
Ba da Bing

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 03:32 PM

I know a Best Buy manager and have access to 3 of them if I want them....

Nah, I'll pass.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 03:33 PM

And then Rickey's PM box exploded.

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by AUCTIONDONKEY View Post
We are now blah blah blah
Do you work for ebay?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2006, 03:39 PM

Are there any cool games supposed to be out for the PS3 at launch? I mean, what is everybody rushing to buy this for? Are they paying $600 just to own a really cool CPU?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

AUCTIONDONKEY  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ink View Post
Do you work for ebay?
NO!!!

Just have a really bad addiction...

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2006, 03:45 PM

I haven't even opened Gears of War yet.

/yawn

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Are there any cool games supposed to be out for the PS3 at launch? I mean, what is everybody rushing to buy this for? Are they paying $600 just to own a really cool CPU?
From what I understand, the PS3 is actually a good "deal" since a standard Blu-Ray player will cost $900 by itself and you get a Blu-Ray player + gaming console for $599 when you get a PS3.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2006, 03:51 PM

So it's Blu-Ray fans who are buying them all?
Chuck
___

AUCTIONDONKEY  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 03:54 PM

PlayStation 3 hopeful buyer injured trying to buy console in Wisconsin

WEST BEND, Wis. — A person was injured Thursday morning outside a Wal-Mart department store racing for a chance to buy one of 10 coveted video game systems the store will put on sale Friday.
An assistant manager announced to a crowd of about 50 people that the store was only going to receive about 10 of the Sony PlayStation 3 game consoles and the store official placed 10 chairs outside of the store, police said.

At the signal, the customers were told to run to try to occupy one of the chairs to be able to buy the system at 12:01 a.m. on Friday.

A 19-year-old man ran into a pole and struck his head, injuring himself. He was taken to the hospital for treatment, police said.

AUCTIONDONKEY  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
From what I understand, the PS3 is actually a good "deal" since a standard Blu-Ray player will cost $900 by itself and you get a Blu-Ray player + gaming console for $599 when you get a PS3.

Consumers are getting a lot more than they bargained for with the PlayStation 3, according to analyst firm iSuppli.

The cost of manufacturing and materials for the low-end, 20-gigabyte version of the console comes to $805.85, iSuppli said in a report Thursday. That means that for every PS3 Sony sells for $499, it will lose $306.85 on components alone. Marketing and advertising costs would then boost the actual cost to Sony higher.

The PS3 with the 60GB hard drive comes with a manufacturing and component bill of $840.35. Since it sells that version of $599, the component bill exceeds the retail price by $241.35, iSuppli said.

A Sony representative would not comment on the PS3's manfacturing costs.

The research firm's final estimates are in line with others from earlier in the year. In February, a scan of analysts' estimates put the manufacturing and material costs for the PS3 between $725 and $905.

Console makers typically sell the consoles for less than the actual cost. These companies make up for the subsidized boxes by selling game software at a premium.

Components also get cheaper over time, a la Moore's Law. Earlier this year, Ken Kutaragi, who heads up Sony Computer Entertainment, said that in 1999, the processor and the graphics chip inside the PlayStation 2 took up 239 square millimeters and 279 square millimeters in surface area, respectively, which made the chips relatively large (and hence relatively expensive). By 2004, the two chips were condensed into one that took up just 87 square millimeters, almost a sixth the size.

Merrill Lynch has said the PS3 manufacturing and materials cost could drop to $320 in three years.

Still, the Sony subsidy on the PS3 is somewhat high, compared to the Xbox 360. The hard drive-equipped Microsoft game console now has a manufacturing and materials cost of $323.30. The box sells for $399, which is $75.70 above the component costs. When it launched, the manufacturing and materials costs for the box came with a component bill between $501 and $525.

The higher costs for the PS3 are largely driven by the expenses associated with the Blu-ray Disc drives and the custom chips used inside the machine. The Blu-ray drive costs $125, while the Cell microprocessor likely costs about $89. The reality synthesizer, a graphics chip from Toshiba designed for the PS3, comes to $129.

"The reason why the PlayStation 3 is so costly to produce is because it has incredible processing power," iSuppli analyst Andrew Rassweiler said in a statement. "If someone had shown me the PS3 motherboard from afar without telling me what it was, I would have assumed it was for a network switch or an enterprise server."

The power supply included in the unit costs $37.50, about double the price of the ones that go into PCs.

Microsoft also includes customized silicon in the Xbox 360, and the software giant participated in their design but the Xbox 360 chips are more closely related to existing processors.

The PS3 chips are somewhat distinct. Sony, Toshiba and IBM hope to defray costs by selling the Cell processor to other manufacturers. Toshiba plans to use a version of the Cell in TVs, and one workstation maker has agreed to put it into its computers. History, however, shows that it's a tough sell. Sony also hoped to get the Emotion Engine, the graphics chip from the PS2, into other computers. It didn't find takers.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by AUCTIONDONKEY View Post
PlayStation 3 hopeful buyer injured trying to buy console in Wisconsin

WEST BEND, Wis. — A person was injured Thursday morning outside a Wal-Mart department store racing for a chance to buy one of 10 coveted video game systems the store will put on sale Friday.
An assistant manager announced to a crowd of about 50 people that the store was only going to receive about 10 of the Sony PlayStation 3 game consoles and the store official placed 10 chairs outside of the store, police said.

At the signal, the customers were told to run to try to occupy one of the chairs to be able to buy the system at 12:01 a.m. on Friday.

A 19-year-old man ran into a pole and struck his head, injuring himself. He was taken to the hospital for treatment, police said.
And the lawsuits will ensue...

Rumor
Nov 16, 2006, 04:15 PM

It's sad that people can sue because their stupid.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 04:39 PM

Yeah looks like the machine is ~$840 in parts and they sell it for only $499, taking a huge hit compared to the XBOX 360 whose parts only cost a few dollars less then what they sell it for.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2006, 04:45 PM

For $200 you can buy an XBbox HD-DVD player and hook it up via USB if it's high-def movies you want.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 04:46 PM

But it's not Blu-ray...

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 04:46 PM

IF I can get a PS3 tomorrow I will likely not even buy a game as I have more than enough with the 360 now and I really just want the damn blu-ray player right now.

Rumor
Nov 16, 2006, 04:49 PM

Blu-Ray = Betamax

AUCTIONDONKEY  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 04:51 PM

Electronic Arts today helped kick off the launch of the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system with perennial hits Madden NFL 07, Need for Speed(TM) Carbon and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 07. Each of these stunning high-definition titles has been custom-created for the PLAYSTATION 3 to take advantage of the advanced power of the CELL processor and the motion-sensitive SIXAXIS(TM) controller. On December 5th, EA will add to its PLAYSTATION 3 portfolio with the release of EA SPORTS(TM) Fight Night Round 3 and in the months that follow, several more games including NBA STREET Homecourt and Def Jam.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 04:56 PM

I think everyone's buying them to resell on eBay, not to play.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Blu-Ray = Betamax
You need to travel back 2 years when they sounded the least bit clever.

Rumor
Nov 16, 2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
You need to travel back 2 years when they sounded the least bit clever.
They?

Anyhow, I just think that Blu-Ray will end up not doing so well cause of the name. People are on a HD craze and buy anything that has HD in it.

It doesn't matter to me which wins. It was stupid to split the industry in the first place.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2006, 10:43 AM

This is crazy Boston.com is reporting that police needed to quell a crowd trying to by the PS3.

What I don't get is that if people just waited a couple of months,i.e., after Christmas you can just walk in to a best buy and pick one up.
Michael

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2006, 10:49 AM

Resistance is apparently the big launch title. In Europe, where the launch has been delayed until March, there's a good chance that MGS4 will also be a launch title, and that should really help things there.

But the attachment rate in Japan is only 0.98, and that's the highest estimate anyone has put forth. That means that over half the people who bought the PS3 last week didn't buy anything else: no extra controllers, no HD cables, and not even any games. Most of these are probably flippers, buying the console just to sell it overseas on eBay for thousands of dollars, but still: over half? That's crazy.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
What I don't get is that if people just waited a couple of months,i.e., after Christmas you can just walk in to a best buy and pick one up.
That won't work if you are wanting to resell them on eBay. You will only get top dollar if you have them right now as the supply/demand is outrageous.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2006, 12:52 PM

Something doesn't make sense.

If you check the "Completed Auctions" on eBay for the PS3, they're all over the place. $1499, $2500, etc. Now, if youcheck the "Buy It Now" list over the last few days, there are PS3s MUCH less than that - $1000, $1200, even $799. So are these $2500 wins bogus bids?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 12:55 PM

Here's a crazy thought -- PS3 sellers are sabotaging other auctions until they sell their own.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2006, 12:59 PM

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 01:04 PM

I don't understand why you'd wanna ruin a good account with that kind of stupid bid.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2006, 01:06 PM

Maybe he's pissed and wants to screw other people from selling theirs. Or he is some average joe that doesn't like the fact that PS3's are going for that much on eBay.

Or he's an idiot and tried to place an actual bid of $8,900.00.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2006, 01:13 PM

That seller deserves it for writing the item description in Symbol.
Chuck
___

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 01:19 PM

nice

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Anyhow, I just think that Blu-Ray will end up not doing so well cause of the name. People are on a HD craze and buy anything that has HD in it.

It doesn't matter to me which wins. It was stupid to split the industry in the first place.
In sales numbers with the PS3 alone by christmas there will be more Blu-ray players and disk sales than HD-DVD.

Yes it was stupid for this war to begin with but again, HD-DVD doesn't really offer any advantages over blu-ray on paper.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2006, 01:26 PM

In sales numbers with the PS3 alone by christmas there will be more Blu-ray players and disk sales in the hands of Chinese bootleggers than HD-DVD.
Fixed.™
Chuck
___

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
That won't work if you are wanting to resell them on eBay. You will only get top dollar if you have them right now as the supply/demand is outrageous.
I'm not talking about people trying to make a quick buck, but rather parents who must at all odds and cost get the latest and greatest for their children for Christmas. Instead of waiting 3 days in line (as some have reportedly done) wait three months and you can have one, no muss no fuss. Beside, how many games are actually available for the PS3 that take advantage of the new components? People will probably end up waiting a few months for games anyways.
Michael

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 03:11 PM

Fixed.™
Well they are selling them to somebody so what is the difference on who gets what money?

Shawn Grimes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2006, 04:07 PM

I saw one about an hour ago sell for $6,700. That is just nuts. The buyer's name was "momof4psychokidz" or some such nonsense. People are retarded.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Nov 17, 2006, 04:27 PM

In my state a guy was shot while waiting for the electronics store to open. A couple of kids wanted to rob him of his PS3 cash.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2006, 04:41 PM

Well they are selling them to somebody so what is the difference on who gets what money?
That Chinese bootleggers are going to be sitting around pissed that nobody wants their $700 investments rather than watching Blu-Ray movies, so they don't really help the format.
Chuck
___

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2006, 09:21 AM

does this mean i can get a ps2 for like $20

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Oneota
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2006, 03:37 PM

This is the best eBay auction I've seen in awhile:

eBay: Sony PlayStation 3 PS3 60GB IN HAND FREE OVERNIGHT (item 120054509305 end time Nov-18-06 14:13:26 PST)

...and that's only because of the story at the end:
i went out wednesday afternoon to the local walmart to start camping out. when i got there, there were already 12 people ther so i got in line being number 13. i talked around and found out the first 6 people there had been there since monday, total hardcore nerds all planning to keep them. bragging about how only they should get the system since theyve been there the longest. how they are so dedicated and how if you dont want to do the time, you shouldnt get a system. generally being complete assholes. good for them. we had a hours to pass so we became friends and played some cards and whatnot. the 6 guys in front kept to themselves and didnt associate with the rest of us. we were cool with each other leaving the line to get food, bathroom, smoke, etc since we all knew each other and as long as they were back in 30 minutes. i was about to leave to go buy some KFC for a good number of us and when i stepped out of line, one of the nerds shouted that if i left, i would lose my spot. the other guys told him that they were vouching for me and that i was just getting food but those 6 assholes didnt care. they said i leave, i lose my spot and that was the rules and they would call the manager (they had his number) to come out and enforce it. i said whatever and stayed in line.

a few hours later, the manager came out and told everyone that there were only going to be SEVEN available. they have them in their store and theyre not getting anymore. he told the people after # 7 they should leave if they wanted to not waste their time. me being number 13 should have left but i didnt, i wanted to stick around for a little bit more. everyone else left except me and the 7 other people that were getting it for sure. so the day goes on and i try to make friends with the nerds. i play mario kart on the ds with them and talk to them about the games they were getting. about an hour or 2 later, i tell im gonnna head home since im 8 in line and theres only 7 ps3s. one of them made some stupid joke about if i leave the line then i aint getting back in!! har har. so as im about to leave, i tell them im going to the vons next door and if any of them wanted any food or coffee and id bring it back to them. one of them said yea and all the rest like sheep followed and said yes too. they were gonna give me money but i told them it was on me since theyve been out here since monday. the 7th guy in line wanted some food and coffee and i told him id buy some for him also.

so i go to vons and buy 8 coffees, some food, and some x-lax laxatives. i bring it to my car and put some laxatives in 6 of the coffees and seperate them from mine and #7s. i pull back to walmart and bring all the drinks and food upfront. i give #7 his stuff and then the coffees with laxatives to the 6 nerds annd wish them good luck and go back to my car. i park it around the corner so i can still see them.

about 30 minutes later, #2 and 3 in line get up and it seemed like they were yelling to the other nerds. they both ran into walmart. seconds later (i guess all nerds have the same biology) #5 gets up and runs across the parking lot and into the trees and bushes somewhere. #1 is scrounging for this portapotty type thing he'd brought with him but he is squirting everywhere and all over his pants and their sleeping bags. he runs into walmart. at this time, i start my car and drive back to the walmart to claim my spot in line. when i get there #4 and 6 are gone but i dont know where. #7 is laughing his ass off so hard and i just smile at him. i call up 5 of the other people that i had made friends with that were in line with me ( i had their phone numbers cause i was gonne buy to food for everyone) and told them to get back to the walmart ASAP and get in line. Meanwhile, me and #7 threw all their **** into the parking lot and i claimed my spot as #1, him as #2. 4 and the people i had called arrived and got in line just as 1 of the nerds came running back and got #7. he started yelling saying they need their spots back. we all told them to **** off, out of spot, out of line. it was all of us against him so he didnt say ****. the nerds came back and tried to start some **** but we just laughed, we told them it was their rule and to go **** themselves and clean the **** off their pants. the called security and security came. security man was like WTF is that ****in smell and looked at the nerds with **** all of them and kicked them off the grounds screaming LMAO. so that is how i got my ps3.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Oneota View Post
This is the best eBay auction I've seen in awhile:

eBay: Sony PlayStation 3 PS3 60GB IN HAND FREE OVERNIGHT (item 120054509305 end time Nov-18-06 14:13:26 PST)

...and that's only because of the story at the end:
That is priceless

Forum Links
Forum Rules