Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The appearance of "Desktop Folder"

The appearance of "Desktop Folder"
Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2002, 04:35 AM

Have more people here that "Desktop Folder" is created randomly in the home folder?

McDriver
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2002, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by Sharky K.:
Have more people here that "Desktop Folder" is created randomly in the home folder?
I got a desktop folder in my home folder I thought it's supposed to be there. Eeeh what do you mean btw

and on this issue I know I have the people behind me. Far, far behind me

El Pre$idente
Banned
Nov 3, 2002, 05:23 AM

Pretty stupid. Someone sends you a file over iChat and the desktop folder opens even though the file is on the desktop!

The same thing happens when I connect two Macs over ethernet. A folder pops up with an alias to the network drive that is already on my desktop.

Sharky K.  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2002, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by McDriver:

I got a desktop folder in my home folder I thought it's supposed to be there. Eeeh what do you mean btw
Not "Desktop" but "Desktop Folder"

I found out what the problem is. Chimera downloads to "Desktop Folder" until the download is complete and put it in the Desktop

McDriver
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2002, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by Sharky K.:

Not "Desktop" but "Desktop Folder"

I found out what the problem is. Chimera downloads to "Desktop Folder" until the download is complete and put it in the Desktop
If I open the Desktop Folder in my home directory it displays all the files I have on my desktop. I am of the firm believe that it is the same folder actually. The desktop is just like any other folder in that respect. Am I missing something here?

and on this issue I know I have the people behind me. Far, far behind me

Jan Van Boghout
Nov 3, 2002, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by McDriver:

If I open the Desktop Folder in my home directory it displays all the files I have on my desktop. I am of the firm believe that it is the same folder actually. The desktop is just like any other folder in that respect. Am I missing something here?
You should really read the posts better�

The folder that appears is named "Desktop Folder" , and it's not the folder named "Desktop".

Vanquish
Nov 3, 2002, 03:31 PM

maybe a bug in the newest Chimeara nightly ?

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2002, 03:52 PM

well, in os 9 the desktop was an (invisible) "Desktop Folder"... maybe some developer(s) missed that in os x the desktop is now simply named "Desktop"...?

(correct me if i�m wrong btw.)
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Forum Links
Forum Rules