Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Can't locate a network...

Can't locate a network...
Alezone
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2004, 06:29 AM

I have been using my powerbook with its airport card to connect to internet (at home through AirPort, at school through wireless network). But recently my computer can't seem to find a network anymore. Neither at home nor at school. It's a titanium... i opened it up and check whether it was securely plugged it... it was. And I update my computer all the time with all the security updates apple provided. Sometimes it can pick up the signal, but only for a few seconds, and if I clicked to join, it shows error message. Trying using the setup assistant, and it can't find a network either.

what's the problem? it's really annoying when my PB battery is dead, and now my wireless is dead as well... it's not a laptop anymore
"You don't lead by hitting people over the head... that's assault, not leadership."

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2004, 07:02 PM

try another location that u know there is a network runing

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 7, 2004, 10:25 PM

Amazingly, my first thought for your problem is the exact thing that was mentioned in an adjacent post. I believe your AirPort card's antenna connector has popped out. I don't have a PowerBook, but you can look up how to get at the AirPort card. When you have it open to that point, check the antenna cable connection-I'll bet it is loose or out completely, and if you pop it back in all will be well. BEFORE YOU PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER, use a small piece of masking tape to keep the connector from popping out again.

Your card itself could also be loose, so ensure that it's fully inserted and held by its clips.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Alezone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 07:22 AM

I tried everything... unplug the airport card, unplug the antenna, plug them back and make sure everything is secure... sitting right next to the Airport Base Station.. no signal. Tried it at school and home, various location. To make sure the airport and wireless stations are working fine, i have someone using PC and Mac laptops sitting next to me...

The weird thing is, after I unplug everything, and i can STILL turn on the Airport... (I suppose it should say "No Airport Card is Found" ??? rather than "No network is selected"??)

I'm so frustrated. And now i can't even see any network anymore.

Dead wireless, dead battery...

I want to buy a new laptop because of these reasons... :S so disappointed...
"You don't lead by hitting people over the head... that's assault, not leadership."

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 10, 2004, 02:41 PM

It sounds like the driver has crapped out. Try loading the latest AirPort software and see if that helps.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mchladek
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2004, 02:53 PM

I'm running into a similar problem, but a little more odd. I can connect just fine at home--anywhere in the house. However, I can't connect anywhere else: school and two local coffeeshops I visit frequently. I have tried nearly every possible place both at school and the coffeeshops. I get no signal whatsoever, although I know I should be able to; people on iBooks just like myself have three bars of signal just two feet away.

I've checked the card, antenna, my network settings are on automatic. Although I believe this started happening when I upgraded to 4.1. Any way of reverting to older software? Thanks!

Alezone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2004, 03:29 PM

^^^ that's exactly what my problem is... i don't remember when it started though....

mchladek
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 04:10 PM

Well, here are a few more things I've tried to no avail: repairing permissions, running fsck, trashing airport prefs, reinstalling airport 4.1 after trashing the drivers and framework, creating a new user to see if it was a user-specific issue (it's not), updating OS to 10.3.7.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Alezone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2004, 04:12 PM

I gave up already... i hope there's a recall on this... even if we don't have apple care, and the dead battery issue...

m3
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2004, 12:23 AM

I am having the same problem.

What specs are your powerbooks?

Mine's a 667 mhz Titanium with an original airport card.

Perhaps it's something with the 4.1 software and the original airport card?

I wish i knew how to revert back to the previous AirPort software...

Alezone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 24, 2004, 05:19 AM

^^^ mine is 667 Titanium with original airport card as well....

m3
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2004, 06:01 PM

Fun.

so it's definitely something with that generation/original airport card.

Forum Links
Forum Rules