Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Have You Gotten Your Wisdom Teeth Out?

View Poll Results: Well?
Poll Options:
Yup, hurt like a bugger 22 votes (16.18%)
Yup, didn't hurt that bad 49 votes (36.03%)
No, they're still there 53 votes (38.97%)
I hate you 12 votes (8.82%)
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll
Have You Gotten Your Wisdom Teeth Out? (Page 2)
Kilbey
Baninated
Dec 24, 2004, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
I got flamed when I posted that I got a new PowerBook. And when I got my iBook...

If you'll notice, you don't get flamed for what you say, more for how you say it.

The use of "..." and the overuse "that said" are your achilles heel. It used to be your spelling. But simply put, your posts are difficult to read.

Back on topic: I'm glad you have a good dentist and that your oral surgery went well. You should expect top service for medical treatment.

Kilbey
Baninated
Dec 24, 2004, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
"You can swallow a pint of blood before you get sick."

all 4 out. it's true.
Arg. It took me a few seconds to place the quote. I am highly disappointed in myself.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2005, 07:50 PM

Well I got all 4 out yesterday. Surgery wasn't too bad since I was knocked out with the gas and the IV. Immediately after wasn't too bad but the bleeding was pretty bad so I had to have those gauze pads in my mouth and this led to swelling and I look like the ****in Easter Bunny right now. I have ice on it and hopefully the swelling will dissipate soon. I'm not scheduled to work until the 4th so I should be fine.

I didn't get any of the good medicines though

Link
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2005, 07:59 PM

While I've never had wisdom teeth out (mine grew in just fine, thank god), I did have a molar disintegrate and have to be pulled out (it broke when they tried to put an isolator thingy on it!)

Yes, that hurt like a bitch, and so did pulling out the remains with a pliar. Geez.

Then they stithced the gum in that spot so it'd heal, but it still bled a lot -- I was dumb enough to go eat (and HUNGRY) right after ,hhahahahahha.

That was one heck of a dinner
Aloha

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2005, 08:14 PM

I've been told I was born with only one wisdom tooth. I think it came in when I was twenty or twenty-one. I was told it would have to be removed, but to the surprise of everyone, it moved away from the rest of my teeth instead of closer to them.

Bet David Letterman wishes the gap between his teeth were where mine is.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 1, 2005, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
I look like the ****in Easter Bunny right now.
Pics?

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jan 1, 2005, 08:39 PM

I was in the Marines in 83 and was told all had to come out. I don't recall how long it took, but nothing worked as far as pain went, and I too remember the chisel, since a few came in sideways or something. The guy doing the work actually split the sides of my mouth, which took weeks to heal. I've broken, sprained and cut many parts of this body, but I think that procedure has always topped the list for the pain quotient.

I remember before we started I noticed what I now know to be ammonia ampules taped to the post next to me. The doc, when asked what they were said "well it gets pretty rough in here sometimes..."

Kikaida
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2005, 11:45 PM

1. Pre-surgery valium. Mmmmmmm.....nice.
2. Laughing gas. Literally made me laugh uncontrollably (or so my wife testifies)
3. The sound/pressure or your tooth being broken into chunks. Unforgettable.
4. "Waking up" to the oral surgeon making jokes about the "barb" in your tooth.
5. Post-op pain before you're allowed to take your first percocet.
6. Spitting out pools of blood. Hourly.
7. Swelling, soreness, numb pain, when I can take my next percocet?
8. Mint pistachio ice cream.
9. Stitches falling out prematurely.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 2, 2005, 08:34 AM

Pfft, they knocked my butt out with a IV soup. I don't think I could stand the sound of my tooth being broken into chunks.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2005, 08:49 AM

Well my mouth still hurts a bit every now and again, but other than that, a week and a half later and I'm fine. Stopped taking T3s around last Monday, all's good. Hmm man sounds like all you guys had to have way more done than I did... I love my mouth.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by RobOnTheCape:
I was in the Marines in 83

And I notice as of this post, you have exactly 83 posts. This matchup of numbers makes me extremely happy today.
Genius. You know who.

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2005, 05:33 PM

I had mine taken out in '97 under sedation and local anaesthetic. I remember nothing of the op but the aftermath was horrible. They forgot to tell me I was allowed paracetamol before the heavy duty painkillers kicked in, leading to hours of pain and drooling blood into a bowl.

The reason it was so bad was that I had 5 (yes, 5) taken out. I had an extra mini-tooth under the one on the bottom right of my jaw, which they had to dig around for apparently. That side of my face was HUGE!. What's even stranger is that I've had X-rays since that show yet more wisdom teeth on their way. Yippee.

biscuit

cheerios
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2005, 01:24 AM

all 4, vicoden knocks me on my ass. Got em out, had the roomie drive me home, slept for 36 hrs straight. I'd wake up, Juan'd put a cup of water & another pill in my hand, I'd take it & go back to sleep. wheee... Totally amused by the little squirt-gun thingy to clean the sockets out w/ though...
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 3, 2005, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by cheerios:
vicoden knocks
You wont want Percocet then.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2005, 04:09 PM

My dentist has been telling me to get mine out for over a year. I really should get around to that sometime this year. I think they're starting to get angry with me over there. Angry people poking me with sharp metal objects just doesn't seem like a good scene.

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2005, 07:38 PM

glad i got them out and done with !

LeftWingLock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2005, 09:31 PM

The dentist told me to get all four out when I was 16 but my dad was too cheap to pay for it. I'm 34 now and they are still in there and haven't caused me any problems so I guess it can wait.
Half The People I Know Are Below Average

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 3, 2005, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by joltguy:
My dentist has been telling me to get mine out for over a year. I really should get around to that sometime this year. I think they're starting to get angry with me over there. Angry people poking me with sharp metal objects just doesn't seem like a good scene.
Get a second opinion.

And if you don't like the person you see you should really change offices. And make sure you tell them why you are leaving so they have a chance to try to change their approach with their remaining patients.

cheerios
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2005, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
You wont want Percocet then.
I'll keep that in mind, then, if I ever am in a position to pick pain meds out
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2005, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
Get a second opinion.

Yeah, my Mom's dentist hassled her for 30 years to get hers out and the never gave her one bit of trouble... he retired and she still has them. There's so few cavities needing filling and teeth needing pulling these days that I think dentists are desperate to 'make' work for themselves.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2005, 02:14 AM

Started life with 3, still have 2 left.
The 2 in the upper jaw are waaay up there, and just fine where they are. The one on the right side of my lower jaw was basically horizontal and just poking through the gumline. I was okay with that situation for years, until it started to get infected.
So I had it out under sedative and Novocain. Lots of Novocain. I was offered the option of general anesthesia, but would have had to spend a longer time in the recovery room.
The dentist tried to break up my tooth with a drill, but finally had to resort to a chisel. He must have stitched it up good and tight, because I had very little bleeding. But the jaw swelled right up and hurt like a b i t c h. Hallelujah for Percocet and weed.
Since I only had the one tooth removed, I didn't have to give up solid food. Just had to chew very carefully.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

kellybelly
Jan 5, 2005, 10:02 PM

I've had one removed; the upper-left one. It had come in most of the way and its removal was a last-minute decision at a routine dentist appointment. One shot and a couple of jabs later and it was out. I went to work later that day.

I never had a tooth form on the upper-right; the two on the bottom are still there. The left one hasn't cut through yet, and the right one is about 1/4 of the way out, partly under a flap of gum.

My dentist kept trying to refer me to the oral surgeon to have them taken out, but I've been hesitant since they don't bother me. Once in a great while my jaw will ache, and I'm pretty good at cleaning the one that cut through. I'll get 'em pulled when they're a problem.

I'm no stranger to getting teeth pulled. When I was a kid I had to have some of my baby teeth pulled before they were ready, in order to encourage my adult teeth to start coming in. Then when the corresponding adult teeth grew in (the first premolars), I had to have them pulled. My teeth are too big to all fit in my mouth so some of them had to go.
kellybelly.net
12" Powerbook G4 Rev. C | 1.33GHz | 768Mb RAM | superdrive
5G 60GB iPod (black) | 3G 40GB iPod

Forum Links
Forum Rules