Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which iBook model are you going to purchase, and Why?

Which iBook model are you going to purchase, and Why?
rian_hall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2001, 04:06 PM

I'm just curious which iBook model people are thinking about buying and why. I'll start.

First of all, I am a VERY cost conscious person (nice way of saying that I'm cheap). Anyway, I decided I'm going to get the DVD model with a separate VST portable CD-RW. Why?

1.) I also have an iMac and PC at home, and I like to maximize my external devices so I can use them on as many computers as possible. The portable VST drive can be used as either a USB device for Firewire (my iMac is pre-firewire). Therefore, My imac can accept it as is, and my PC just needs a firewire controller card. My only complaint, it is not bus powered and is a little slower than the CD-RW Apple is offering.
Cost of the drive, about $300.00.

2.) Why DVD? Well, look at the specs. All iBook models have either 64MB or 128MB of RAM on the motherboard. That means if the max. ammount of RAM you can install in the $1,200.00 model is 576MB where as the others can go up to 640MB of RAM. This was a bad decision on Apple's part. They should have stayed with 128MB for ALL models. Cost of the computer, about $1,500.00. Plus I get an extra 128MB of RAM for free if I go to someplace like MacZone.

So for about the same as what Apple is offering for the Combo Drive model, I can get the same basic computer with 256MB of RAM minus DVD Burning (Not interested in that feature). The big exception here is I can reuse my CD-RW with my other computers.

Anyway, That is my decision. What about yours?

[This message has been edited by rian_hall (edited 05-31-2001).]

[This message has been edited by rian_hall (edited 05-31-2001).]

hotani
Senior User
May 31, 2001, 04:51 PM

Which iBook Model Did You Order and Why?

------------------
iceBook DVD 384
Darwin 1.3/OS X 10.0.3/OS 9.1
download free hotani web template
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

jog
Forum Regular
May 31, 2001, 08:23 PM

DVD version too; have a G4/400 and like burning at 12x for CD-R and 10x for CD-RW

Stebahan
May 31, 2001, 08:49 PM

I think I ordered the one that is powered by a potato.

rian_hall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2001, 09:03 PM

Very Sorry for starting this tread. I did not search the threads before I started. DUH!!

Again. Sorry

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2001, 09:05 PM

Well i actually already bought the DVD version.... My reasosn are;

I need more than a CD I am such a movie Buff I HAVE TO HAVE a DVD player.......

Also it has 128MB soldered for a max of 640 ram!!!!!!

CD-Rw is unnecesary I have an external Que! FW CD-RW. while burning on the Go is cool i dont need it.......

DVD-CD-RW is hella-cool but again i dont need it and its 300 more expensive.........

So, all In all the DVD version I think its the best one of them all......
Works fro everything I want it to....

Oh and by the way the iBook Combo; DOES NOT offer DVD burning only DVD-read AND CD-RW

------------------
Be happy Be Cool Be Different, but be yourself...

[This message has been edited by RodriCO2000 (edited 05-31-2001).]
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

playboyguy
May 31, 2001, 09:41 PM

Me i ordered the one that filled w/ naked women pics of course!

Skaught24
May 31, 2001, 10:11 PM

Me, I ordered the base model (CD and 64 Megs). It came with freee 128 mb but I will order a 256mb chip very soon.

I already own a DVD Rom for my television, and I don't think I would use the DVD option very much. Plus, I am also going to buy an external CD-RW sometime later this year. I have come to realize that most computers are now no longer long term investments, so being able to carry over as many external drives will be a plus for me.

Anyway, it is a great computer and I am very pleased with it. (Been playing a lot of Pod racer and Unreal Tournament!)

C'ya!

------------------
"10 percent of computer users are Mac users, but remember,
we are the top 10 percent." - Douglas Adams 1952-2001
"10 percent of computer users are Mac users, but remember,
we are the top 10 percent." - Douglas Adams 1952-2001

todrain
Senior User
May 31, 2001, 10:42 PM

I am still undecided, but it is between the DVD and the combo. I travel a lot for work (or at least used to... not sure with my new postition if I'll be leaving Dallas as much as I used to) so the DVD is important, plus I can use it on my other TV in the other room with the AV cable.

I think I'd like the Combo, but for $300 more I can get an external burner that is MUCH faster... plus it would be a second drive (You can never have enough things running at once.) and like the originial post said, I can use it on multiple machines.

It would be nice to burn CDs on the road, but 99% of the time, it would be a home-based thing, and I can use my external firewire HD for backup.

Someone help point a flaw in my logic so I can justify the combo, please!

Cake
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2001, 12:31 AM

I'll get the combo, but only when it comes in colors.

[This message has been edited by Cake (edited 06-01-2001).]

Cake
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2001, 12:33 AM

excuse my stutter!

[This message has been edited by Cake (edited 06-01-2001).]

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2001, 10:00 AM

Already received my combo iceBook. This was based upon being tired of carrying around all the extra modules, necessary connectors, cards, etc. needed with a PowerBook. Its got it all! It was recommended by Weight Watchers! Any model you choose will be the right decision. Cheers.

------------------
hello
AGAIN
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

Rand88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2001, 10:28 AM

Hey!
I just got my iBook DVD model yesterday and I love it! I still have my 1999 iMac DV, and have been transfering files most of the day. I love this computer. They keyboard is fantastic! I installed an extra 256MB, which was a snap! This computer is a little rocket too! Mac OS X does run somewhat slow, but just don't use it unless you have too. I don't have any reason to use it other than to see what it's like. This is a very stable computer too! IE crashed once and that was the only problem I have had yet. Screen is awsome too! Great for DVD's. I also like how quiet it is, can't tell if its on or off unless the DVD-ROM is spinning. Great computer! =D

I hope this helps.
Jon

Forum Links
Forum Rules