Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Saddam to be Hanged before New Year?

View Poll Results: Will Saddam be Hanged before New Year?
Poll Options:
Yes - He'll be Hanged before 1 Jan. 2007 25 votes (67.57%)
No - He won't be Hanged before New Year 12 votes (32.43%)
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll
Saddam to be Hanged before New Year? (Page 2)
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2006, 11:23 AM

But, like posted above, Mr Saddam commited some crimes whose penalties he perfectly understood, and no Iraq citizen is above Iraq law. Perhaps if you are proposing eliminating the death penalty for future criminals, that's fine, but the measuring stick of current criminals is very clear.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Have you even HEARD what he allowed his sons to do? They'd go joyriding, pull some girl off the street, rape her, gangbang her, then shoot her.
Real cute.
Regimes not behaving nicely? STOP THE PRESS!!!
You really don't get out much.

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2006, 12:33 PM

anyone know where i can see the whole execution video? I only find up to the point where the rope goes around his neck...then the video stops.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
But, like posted above, Mr Saddam commited some crimes whose penalties he perfectly understood, and no Iraq citizen is above Iraq law. Perhaps if you are proposing eliminating the death penalty for future criminals, that's fine, but the measuring stick of current criminals is very clear.
I am not sure if you were replying to my post, but I will assume so.

I am against death penalty. However, justice had to be done by the people of Iraq, which is far more important to me than debating on the death penalty. On the other hand, the "people of Iraq" is not a monolithic entity, as it includes at least 2 major ethnic groups. From this sentencing, and especially the choice of the date, it is not clear to me if all Iraqis were represented (I may be wrong in this regard). However, having the hanging done today was a political move which will have repercussions.

Hussein had to be tried and condemned in my mind without a doubt. That he was put to death today is bound to make more troubles. As was explained by the media this morning, his death set today is an insult to another group of Iraqis, as well as many non-Iraqi muslems. This will aggravate the situationb, unfortunately.

This suggests also that more chaos in Middle East may have unforeseen advantages; dividing to better conquer is not out of fashion yet. So yes, I suspect the purpose of choosing today as the date to execute Saddam Hussein is an interested act with benefits going beyond Iraq's borders.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Yes, I'm aware of his (and his family's) crimes. That's why I'd have come up with something more inventive than hanging.

I find it interesting how you are a tough guy Republican on many issues that likes to rant about Liberals and takes a tough stance on things that often comes across as over-the-top, while you are soft on the death penalty and eating animals...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2006, 02:10 PM

Is "hanged" actually a word?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2006, 02:31 PM

Nope Mr. Gramer Polis.

arng1
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2006, 03:09 PM

All of my buddies over in the sandbox have been celebrating all day.

Blasphemy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2006, 07:22 PM

I'm surprised he bit it. I did not expect it to get this far this quickly.

Atomic Rooster
Dec 30, 2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Blasphemy View Post
I'm surprised he bit it. I did not expect it to get this far this quickly.
Yes and they made him a martyr so he gets an automatic pass to heaven along with 72 virgins.

So I'm suspicious of the prime minister when he says Saddam got what he deserved. Or do they not believe in what they say they believe.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
anyone know where i can see the whole execution video? I only find up to the point where the rope goes around his neck...then the video stops.
The whole video is here:

http://one.revver.com/watch/130549

Forum Links
Forum Rules