Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do Cats Normally Attack Chicken Hawks?

Do Cats Normally Attack Chicken Hawks?
MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2009, 06:11 AM

Was at my mother's house and saw a big-ass chicken hawk/buzzard attack my mother's hen. The chicken was screaming for her life and somehow the pet cat got into the melee with the chicken hawk.

The chicken hawk tried to fly away with the hen but couldn't lift off because the chicken hawk was carrying the hen as well as dragging the cat. Not sure if the cat came to the rescue of the hen (they don't like each other) or was the cat attacked by the hawk too.

It was hard to tell if the hawk was holding the cat or was the cat holding onto the hawk. So, the cat gets free and has a stand-off with the hawk while the hawk is still pinning the hen to the ground. Then the hawk decides to leave and flew up into a tree without the hen. Crazy stuff.

So, do cats normally attack chicken hawks? Was this a territorial thing?

I now call the cat "The Meow-Mix Eater. The Chicken Hawk Ass-Beater."
( Last edited by MallyMal; Jan 6, 2009 at 06:44 AM. )

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2009, 10:24 AM

I don't know, but that's pretty badass. There're plenty of hawks where I live capable of taking out a cat, so it's comforting to know with enough attitude ours might escape should the need arise. Luckily they have lots of pigeons to feast on in this town.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2009, 06:04 PM

Aw, no video?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2009, 06:06 PM

One of the most amazing fights I've ever witnessed was between a rather large eagle and a massive barn cat. They appeared to be about the same size, and both were intent on mutual destruction. Seems the eagle had swooped down to grab the cat, but quickly realized that he'd bitten off much more than he could chew. At first I tried to separate them with a broom, but it seemed to only make matters worse. The cat ended up with countless slashes and cuts all over it's body. It survived but required >$500 in medical care, a ton of staples/stitches and a punctured lung. The bird wasn't so fortunate, it died while the vet was trying to save it (too much blood loss).

The cat went on to live several more years, but he'd earned a name change. Mr. Fluff > Slayer.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2009, 06:56 PM

My cat merely stares at bugs that may cross his path from time to time. He did catch a gecko that got into the house once. That's about the extent of his battle-skills.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2009, 08:42 PM

"I'm a chicken hawk, and I'm gonna take you home!"

On topic: these are some amazing stories. I love seeing this kind of thing, especially if it doesn't involve an animal that I bear a strong attachment to.

MallyMal  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2009, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
Aw, no video?
Naw but that would have been popular on YouTube.

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
The cat ended up with countless slashes and cuts all over it's body. It survived but required >$500 in medical care, a ton of staples/stitches and a punctured lung.
Fortunately our cat wasn't hurt at all it seems.

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
My cat merely stares at bugs that may cross his path from time to time. He did catch a gecko that got into the house once. That's about the extent of his battle-skills.
Well, this cat only seemed aggressive only with squirrels and chipmunks so the chicken hawk was a big surprise.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
"I'm a chicken hawk, and I'm gonna take you home!"
Chick-Chick-CHICKEN!

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2009, 12:19 AM

i'm surprised this video hasn't been linked to yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVgsfhGUOQg

iM@k
Senior User
Jan 7, 2009, 12:53 AM

I'm surprised this picture hasn't been posted yet:

I remember this guy from watching the cartoons when I was a kid.
What, me worry?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2009, 07:30 AM

Thank you, iM@k, I was just about to post the same thing since this story sounds like it could have come out of Looney Tunes.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Rumor
Jan 7, 2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
i'm surprised this video hasn't been linked to yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVgsfhGUOQg
That is badass.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
That is badass.
One of the related videos is called 'if u miss a deer three times, quit hunting'. The buck stands his ground for two shots and takes off after the third. Excellent.

Forum Links
Forum Rules