Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Has anyone used OWC RAM?

Has anyone used OWC RAM?
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Dec 4, 2006, 06:11 PM

I want to order a 1GB stick of RAM for my MacBook from OWC: Apple Mac G4 upgrades, Laptop Batteries, Memory, Drives.

I would like to order their brand of RAM, as it is the best priced, however I would like to know if any MacNN'ers have ever used it? How would it compare to other brands, even Apple?

*edit* I would just like to add that the other brands available from that site are Samsung and Techworks.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2006, 07:37 PM

I know some people like OWC, but I'd go with a name-brand like Crucial or Kingston over them any day. Having good quality RAM is extremely important - cheap RAM won't have gone through the same quality testing, and if RAM goes bad, it'll make your machine crash.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2006, 07:51 PM

oooh, another memory question. i think it is time for their own sub forum...

finboy
Dec 4, 2006, 08:38 PM

I've used their stuff plenty. Only a problem once, and they cross-shipped a replacement.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2006, 10:08 PM

I always use OWC. Good stuff.

indigoimac
Senior User
Dec 4, 2006, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I always use OWC. Good stuff.
Same here and so does everyone in the mac community I know, excellent product, reasonable prices, and excellent customer support. Highly recommended!
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 10:54 PM

I buy Samsung from OWC

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 11:00 PM

I don't have any problem with OWC as well.

Benton
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2006, 12:33 AM

OWC is a good company with good people. I buy their products. It advertises in MacAddict and Macworld magazines every month.
STEVE JOBS: Where is my APPLE Rewards Visa Card? Other LOYALISTS have SONY Rewards Visa Card: DISNEY Rewards Visa Card: ESPN Rewards Visa Card!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 12:35 AM

OWC is absolutely wonderful.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2006, 12:40 AM

My boss swears by it, warranty is the most important factor in buying RAM.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Dec 5, 2006, 05:12 PM

Are all of these wonderful compliments and praises towards OWC for the RAM or the COMPANY? Because I need to know about the RAM.

Thanks for the input
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 05:19 PM

I've always bought my memory for all of my Laptops from OWC. I normally get the middle priced one. Not the most expensive, but not the cheapest.

Never had a problem.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Dec 5, 2006, 06:55 PM

Good to know.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post
Are all of these wonderful compliments and praises towards OWC for the RAM or the COMPANY? Because I need to know about the RAM.

Thanks for the input
They're praising the company. OWC RAM has no reputation whatsoever. It's basically generic RAM. Again, I'd go for Crucial, Kingston, Viking, or one of the brands that is known for quality RAM.

And also, not everyone is wild about the company. Do a search on MacNN, and you'll find people who've had bad experiences with them. They also have a lot of bad ratings here:

Other World Computing (macsales.com, eshop.macsales.com) Customer Ratings, Reviews and Prices at ResellerRatings

All in all, they're probably good for some things. I've ordered a few things from them here and there without major issues. I might get one of their FireWire enclosures sometime since they are spoken well of in reviews. But I'd go somewhere else for RAM. Remember, just because some people ordered it and didn't have problems doesn't mean it's the best quality. You can get lucky a lot of the time, even if you order cheap-ass RAM from a vendor no one's ever heard of. It's a safer bet to get reliable RAM, though, because otherwise you could end up with an unstable computer, and OWC doesn't seem to have a great reputation for handling returns.

My two cents.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2006, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
They like the company. OWC RAM has no reputation whatsoever. It's basically generic RAM. Again, I'd go for Crucial, Kingston, Viking, or one of the brands that is known for quality RAM.

And also, not everyone is wild about the company. Do a search on MacNN, and you'll find people who've had bad experiences with them. They also have a lot of bad ratings here:

Other World Computing (macsales.com, eshop.macsales.com) Customer Ratings, Reviews and Prices at ResellerRatings

All in all, they're probably good for some things. I've ordered a few things from them here and there without major issues. I might get one of their FireWire enclosures sometime since they are spoken well of in reviews. But I'd go somewhere else for RAM.

My two cents.
I've ordered RAM from them for every Mac I've owned. I've never had anything bad happen. OWC RAM does have reputation. It's Samsung most of the time, which is what Apple frequently uses. Crucial is very overpriced. I'm running OWC Samsung RAM right now.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Dec 6, 2006, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
They're praising the company. OWC RAM has no reputation whatsoever. It's basically generic RAM. Again, I'd go for Crucial, Kingston, Viking, or one of the brands that is known for quality RAM.

All in all, they're probably good for some things. I've ordered a few things from them here and there without major issues. I might get one of their FireWire enclosures sometime since they are spoken well of in reviews. But I'd go somewhere else for RAM. Remember, just because some people ordered it and didn't have problems doesn't mean it's the best quality. You can get lucky a lot of the time, even if you order cheap-ass RAM from a vendor no one's ever heard of. It's a safer bet to get reliable RAM, though, because otherwise you could end up with an unstable computer, and OWC doesn't seem to have a great reputation for handling returns.

My two cents.

Thank you that helps a lot.

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I've ordered RAM from them for every Mac I've owned. I've never had anything bad happen. OWC RAM does have reputation. It's Samsung most of the time, which is what Apple frequently uses. Crucial is very overpriced. I'm running OWC Samsung RAM right now.

OWC RAM is made by Samsung? If that's the case I would order some right now. What do you mean by "sometimes"?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2006, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post
OWC RAM is made by Samsung? If that's the case I would order some right now. What do you mean by "sometimes"?
Some of their RAM is Samsung branded, some is OWC branded. The OWC branded stuff I'd avoid. Samsung I wasn't aware manufactured memory, but if you're correct and Apple is indeed using them, then they're probably all right (although all the Macs I've had have come with Micron - i.e. Crucial).

Just because someone says "I've used this RAM for however long yadda yadda yadda and it worked fine" doesn't mean anything as far as RAM is concerned. The difference between cheap RAM and expensive RAM is that the expensive RAM goes through more testing to make sure the RAM you get isn't defective, whereas the cheaper RAM has less testing. So if you're lucky, you can get a cheap RAM chip that's just fine... or you could get a defective one. You're more likely to get one without defects if you get the expensive brand, which tosses out the defective modules instead of selling them to you. My dad used to buy cheap RAM from some unknown vendor in the back of Macworld magazine and he did so for years, without any problems. Then someone we knew ordered some from that vendor on his recommendation, and ended up with a screwed-up computer that always crashed. Then someone else ordered the cheap RAM and the same thing happened.

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2006, 03:38 AM

I have used the OWC RAM in the past in an old 7300 and it still works to this day. I have to say I never had a problem from them. A lot of the RAM Apple uses is Samsung, my past G4's and G5's have all had Samsung RAM. The people I know that have ordered RAM from OWC have had zero problems. I have also used Crucial and while more they do support (excellent support) what they sell. I have tried Corsair and had nothing but problems and the support from the company was dismal.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2006, 04:26 PM

OWC's RAM is sometimes made by Samsung if it says Samsung in the title. They also make their own RAM. Both are good quality, with Samsungs being bettter quality. However, with a lifetime warranty, you shouldn't be worried.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2006, 07:31 PM

I've bought a lot of RAM over the years, and I've never paid top dollar.

To date, zero problems.

If the RAM has a guarantee, buy it. Save your money. Overpriced RAM is sometimes just that.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2006, 02:15 AM

We'd bought a lot of RAM over the years, and we'd never paid top dollar.

To date, we'd had zero problems.

Then we bought some more, and we did have problems.

They we bought some more, and we had problems again.

OWC gives warranties, but they also have a reputation of not always honoring returns. Sometimes cheap RAM is just that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules