Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 47 year old Crown Royal

47 year old Crown Royal
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2013, 12:21 PM

Sooooo...

My father and I recently cleared out my deceased grandfathers house and I claimed his mini-bar worth of booze. Amongst the various items was a one gallon sized jumbo bottle of Crown Royal in a special stand. It is open and I'd say it's about 10% gone.

So, I expected it to be old, but I didn't expect it to be 47 years old, as I have now discovered by looking at the date on the broken cap seal.

Is this still good? I know whiskey is supposed to last forever, but this stuff is like 50 years old. That's freaking old. I have no idea when it was opened. The last time it was opened, etc... Could have been a decade ago, could have been 1967.

It wasn't stored in direct sunlight, but it wasn't in a dark cool place either. The house has been more or less abandoned for the last 6 or 7 years and I have no idea what the AC was set at during that period. For all I know, the house was pretty hot in the summer. Probably not 100 degrees or anything, but I'm sure they didn't bother keeping it cool and comfortable.

Thoughts? What's the worst thing that could happen by drinking 50 year old Whiskey? Is this stuff safe?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

andi*pandi
Jun 17, 2013, 12:26 PM

people drink hundred year old wine...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2013, 12:49 PM

Unlike wine, Whisky stops ageing after it is bottled. It only ages in the cask. As long as the bottle cap has a half decent seal (most good ones have some cork involved) it should be ok, if it was kept in the dark it should be fine. The worst a few warm days/years ought to do is evaporate the alcohol a bit. (FYI, that happens naturally when you age it in the cask. It can drop from 80% to %50 or so while maturing and the lost alcohol is known as the angel's share).

Barring external contamination (or a lead bottle cap or something) its almost certainly safe to drink. On the down side, it probably won't be any better than it was when it was bought.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2013, 02:29 PM

About the worst that could happen, provided the cap was on snuggly, is that it lost 2-3% of its alcohol.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

P
Jun 17, 2013, 03:03 PM

As a rule of thumb: If the liquid level was still in neck, you don't have to worry. If it was below that, well... it's not going to taste as it used to, as the alcohol does evaporate. I've drunk forgotten whiskey that had been standing with lots of air in the bottle, and by taste I'd say it was down to about 20%vol. That was a cheapish bottle with a screw cap, though.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2013, 05:24 PM

What Waragainstsleep said.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

warlag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2013, 07:16 PM

I would start drinkin! thats really cool to have that you deffently should try it.... it wont do anything to you as far as i know!

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2013, 07:31 PM

Only one way to find out! Let us know how it turns out...(if you remember, that is )

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2013, 11:13 PM

we . is gogod. tase littTle funk butt apernetly..

n

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2013, 11:32 PM

Good to hear.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2013, 12:04 PM

No, but seriously. Several people and I all had a small glass of this over the weekend.

It tasted a little off at first, but seemed to get better as it was exposed to oxygen.

No one died.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2013, 02:07 PM

That sounds about right. Decanting some for immediate consumption probably would have been a good idea, but I suffered from a brain fart and neglected to mention it. Sorry.
- Thomas Paine

pwfletcher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2013, 11:12 PM

Yum ;-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules