Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Experiences with Xerox 8200DP??

Experiences with Xerox 8200DP??
NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2003, 07:39 PM

I've finally sat down and done the research for a color printer. It looks like my next printer will be the Xerox 8200DP.

Does anyone have hands on experience with this printer? Is it as good as the company propaganda preported to be?

Appreciate any info. Suggestions for competitive printers in this price range would also be appreciated.
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.

Voltaire

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2003, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by NewOldbie:
I've finally sat down and done the research for a color printer. It looks like my next printer will be the Xerox 8200DP.

Does anyone have hands on experience with this printer? Is it as good as the company propaganda preported to be?

Appreciate any info. Suggestions for competitive printers in this price range would also be appreciated.
What made you pick the Xerox 8200 over say the HP 4600?

mbryda
Senior User
Mar 27, 2003, 11:13 PM

The solid ink printers tend to produce better quality prints than laser printers... Some people just like their output. We have an old Tektronix in the office and it produces BEAUTIFUL documents!

HP lasers tend to be expensive to run in the long term (and, IMHO are not worth it).

NewOldbie  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2003, 01:01 AM

The HP has a BIG footprint, higher cost to operate, and does not produce as good color output as the Tektronix (Xerox) unit. The only drawback is the unit must be kept on to maintain proper temperature of the solid ink on the print head (if power is interrupted, the ink must be cleaned out of the print head).

My experience is academic (from reading various sources and reviews). I'd like to hear from people who have actually had to deal with its output and maintenance, living with it day to day. . . .

Xerox is supposed to be sending me some actual output which will be my final test. I already have sample printouts of the HP and the Xerox 6200 (color laser).
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.

Voltaire

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2003, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by NewOldbie:
The HP has a BIG footprint, higher cost to operate, and does not produce as good color output as the Tektronix (Xerox) unit. The only drawback is the unit must be kept on to maintain proper temperature of the solid ink on the print head (if power is interrupted, the ink must be cleaned out of the print head).

My experience is academic (from reading various sources and reviews). I'd like to hear from people who have actually had to deal with its output and maintenance, living with it day to day. . . .

Xerox is supposed to be sending me some actual output which will be my final test. I already have sample printouts of the HP and the Xerox 6200 (color laser).
If your going to print photographs then I will agree the 6200 is a better printer. On the other hand the HP color laserjet 4600 is actually cheaper to operate and doesn't have some of the drawbacks of the solid inkjets. Output from a solid inkjet, left out in the sun or in a hot car will run and/or stick to what ever it touches. This a problem that doesn't exist with the lasers. Also you will find that the solid ink can be scratched or removed from the paper it sits on. The actual per page cost of printing from the HP 4600 is about 1.7 cents for black and 2.5 cents for color. Granted this is at 5% coverage but that is how all printers are rated. The only other consumable for the 4600 is the fuser and that is replaced about every 120,000 to 150,000 pages.

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Mar 28, 2003, 09:53 AM

We got a Textronic 860DP. Not sure how similar this is but I can give you feedback on it.

Printing things like a powerpoint documents look good. But I perfer to use a old inkjet to print photos becasue of some blochy-ness in the colors on the 860. It seems the inkjet does better with fine detail.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules