Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apps that don't work in 10.3

Apps that don't work in 10.3 (Page 2)
SoGood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 05:14 PM

I wouldn't touch Norton in the first place. Further, it's good that it can't see any of the Panther drives. Who knows what kinds of damage it can do should one decide to "repair" their drive with it. DiskWarrior3 is a much better choice. While its self-diagnostic portion is crippled under 10.3, it seemed to be able to rebuild a 10.3 drive. I have not taken it to completion in fear of some minor incompatibilites. I'll wait for a formal announcement from Alsoft and user feedback after 10.3 is officially released.

As for Epson, there are two sets of installers within 10.3 installation process. Was part of it missed.
-- Good

SoGood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 05:17 PM

I wouldn't touch Norton in the first place. Further, it's good that it can't see any of the Panther drives. Who knows what kinds of damage it can do should one decide to "repair" their drive with it. DiskWarrior3 is a much better choice althouth it's also crippled. I had to force quit the application. Bottomline, don't use 3rd party disk utilities until updates. Stay with Disk Utilities.

As for Epson, there were two sets of install files within 10.3 installation process. Was part of it missed.
-- Good

workerbee
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by oranjdisc:
Flash MX 2004 doesn't launch under 10.3. At least for me.
Do others have this too? About the only usable app in the whole sorry MX 04 fiasco stopping to work in Panther?!
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by :haripu::
ASM doesn't work for me. It keeps crashing the dock. Which is a rather interesting effect, as the dock automatically tries to start again, crashes again, etc.
I have an old copy of ASM that works, but I upgraded a cloned 10.2.6 so I didn't have to reinstall it.
Apple Remote Desktop works, but it will eventually stop responding and must be force quit.
MenuMeters works for me. I have to relaunch after log-out, but on my upgraded 10.2.6, it works fine after log-out.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2003, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by ZildjianKX:
So far Norton Systemworks 3 doesn't work for me (utilities also won't see my hard drive).
Trust me. This is a Good Thing�

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Robo-X
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 07:02 PM

Camino have appearance issues. Flash redraw problems. Pacifist doesn't work properly.

//Rob

jetta_gt
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 07:10 PM

I have not tested this, but I guarantee Carbon Copy Cloner will need an update.

I never update my OS until a new version of CCC comes out so I can back up my freshly installed system...

<offtopic>As a side note, Mike Bombich, the author of CCC, is a Bowling Green State University alumni! I was born and raised in BG and am getting my masters degree there.</offtopic>

Devin Lane
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 09:11 PM

CopyPaste X 1.7 doesn't work for me.

However, Flash MX 2004 does work. Infact, I just installed it and am running it now (7b68)
-- Devin Lane, Cocoa Programmer

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by jetta_gt:

I never update my OS until a new version of CCC comes out so I can back up my freshly installed system...

<offtopic>As a side note, Mike Bombich, the author of CCC, is a Bowling Green State University alumni! I was born and raised in BG and am getting my masters degree there.</offtopic>
Panther seems to include some sort of backup functionality. Haven't tried it out though.

Nep2ne
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2003, 10:03 PM

No one has mentioned this yet, but LiteSwitch X (at least the free version) will not work under 7B85, but so far the sheen of Expose has overshadowed this. I will fork over the dough for the upgrade if anyone can tell me that it works under 10.3!

C'mon Proteron! I can't live without your product!
------
Friend of All Cats.

ZildjianKX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 10:24 PM

Sweet, got hte print server working at least.

ANyways, can you guys recommend a good utility to defrag a hard drive then? Does diskwarrior do that? Tx

NoSolitaire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 10:33 PM

I can't get Hemera Photo-Objects to work...

SoGood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 04:47 AM

Neither macStumbler nor iStumbler would work in 7b85. They can launch but just don't register anything.
-- Good

Britney F.
Oct 8, 2003, 10:04 AM

Has anyone tried Cocoa Gestures? Does it work with Panther? If it doesn't work I don't know how I'll be able to surf the Internet ;-) I have become seriously addicted to Gestures!

Britney

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2003, 10:06 AM

Has anybody tried panther on a G4 with an upgraded CPU? I just read this on the OS X site:

"Confirm that your hardware can run Mac OS X Version 10.3 Panther
Mac OS X Version 10.3 requires a Macintosh with a PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor, built-in USB; at least 128MB of physical RAM and a built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer. Mac OS X does not support processor upgrade cards. Verify your hardware is supported from the list below."
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 10:08 AM

ClearDock,
SafariEnhancer,
oh and SerialSurfers... no j/k on that last one but the top two are broke!

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2003, 10:56 AM

Add to the list, Sharity and Samba sharing package. Unfortuently, these apps are STILL required for Mac OS X. And that is a shame.
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

-Q-
Oct 8, 2003, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Nep2ne:
No one has mentioned this yet, but LiteSwitch X (at least the free version) will not work under 7B85, but so far the sheen of Expose has overshadowed this. I will fork over the dough for the upgrade if anyone can tell me that it works under 10.3!

C'mon Proteron! I can't live without your product!
Doesn't Panther have something similar to this built-in now?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2003, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Robo-X:
Pacifist doesn't work properly.
I just sent out Beta 1 of the Panther-compatibility version yesterday. If you'd like, you could be a beta tester - just send me an e-mail at support (at) charlessoft (dot) com if you're interested.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

superfula
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Kung-Tunes
Proteus 3.0.2 and 3.0.3 (due to new MSN-plugin)
Those proteus builds have worked fine for me since the early 7B7x builds

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 12, 2003, 05:28 PM

Does PS 7.0 work for anyone? It didn't for me, the installer hangs at the end. Does synergy work okay?

booboo
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 05:33 PM

ProTools 6.1 causes a kernel panic.

It doesn't seem to be the drivers - which I thought might be responsible - because other app's such as Peak don't have a problem using my Digi hardware . . .

Also, I'm informed - though haven't confirmed - that Ambrosia's Bubble Trouble freezes in 10.3

Liquidity X  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by Anand:
Has anybody tried panther on a G4 with an upgraded CPU? I just read this on the OS X site:

"Confirm that your hardware can run Mac OS X Version 10.3 Panther
Mac OS X Version 10.3 requires a Macintosh with a PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor, built-in USB; at least 128MB of physical RAM and a built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer. Mac OS X does not support processor upgrade cards. Verify your hardware is supported from the list below."
Yes, I am on a g4 DP 450 upgraded to a DP 800 and I run great. Thats just Apple covering there asses.

And I just stumbled on Netbarrier 10.3 causes a kernal panic

DasDaSein+
Oct 12, 2003, 08:30 PM

Maybe you "tested" some Adobe beta apps, setting back system time to 2003 will help in that case.

reco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 09:15 PM

i have build 8b85. flash, dreamweaver and fireworks mx 2004 are not working....

they just not launch

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2003, 09:38 PM

Does FruitMenu work?

tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2003, 09:45 PM

America Online doesn't work (the webbrowser part)
Mac OS 10.3 7b85

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Oct 13, 2003, 12:16 AM

Microsoft IntelliMouse (3.1 or 5.0) doesn't work properly.

The mouse pointer speed is completely screwed (and gets worse when you start switching between users with FUS).

MDD867
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 12:55 AM

Photoshop is unable to save EPS files with a clipping path in 7B85. They appear without a preview in layout apps, and crash the app almost every time. (InDesign 2.0.2, FH MXa)

I even Formatted my HD and installed everything again, but this bug won't go away.
JPEG and 8-bit previews are both broken.

Is this a bug in Photoshop, Quicktime or in the OS? Is anybody else able to confirm this?

I can't upgrade to Panther because of this...

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 13, 2003, 02:10 AM

Hey at least you could install PS! I had to reformat because the installer hung at the end and eventually froze the whole damn thing up. Wouldn't start up after either. I can do without PS for now, but damn man that was such a hassle! lol!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2003, 02:12 AM

Originally posted by superfula:
Those proteus builds have worked fine for me since the early 7B7x builds
S, you can connect to MSN?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

ZildjianKX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by kennethmac2000:
Microsoft IntelliMouse (3.1 or 5.0) doesn't work properly.

The mouse pointer speed is completely screwed (and gets worse when you start switching between users with FUS).
Works fine for me.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 03:18 AM

Amazing how many Apple-registered developers come together here to share their experiences

-

darkhawk64
Oct 13, 2003, 03:32 AM

I've got the Fruit Menu (and APE demo) from Slava at Unsanity and they both work great. Even my old Metalifizer works with the new APE system! Panther rocks, BTW.
jared
"You don't cuddle up to Max Power. You just strap yourself on and feel the Gs."
-Homer Simpson from "The Simpsons"

booboo
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by Liquidity X:
Yes, I am on a g4 DP 450 upgraded to a DP 800 and I run great. Thats just Apple covering there asses.

And I just stumbled on Netbarrier 10.3 causes a kernal panic
It's odd - to my mind at least - that app's can cause kernel panics.

ProTools 6.1 start up - kp every time. Instant.

And Liquidity - does the 800MHz upgrade actually perform better than Dual 450's - I'd have though if you're running a lot of concurrent tasks, there'd be little in it . . .?

booboo
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by Fallout:
Does FruitMenu work?
None of the Unsanity Haxies work - I think they need a new APE - I'm sure it'll be out with Panther . . .

Then I saw darkhawk64 saying they're working for him.. :-P

I don't have the demo - maybe that's where I'm going wrong - but I may try I re-install. I have FruitMenu and WindowshadeX which I think both will still find a home in Panther.

Tony Blair said he's willing to 'meet his maker' over the Iraq issue - under criticism from the church. Well I wish someone would help him on his way . . .

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2003, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by jetta_gt:

You can use asr in Terminal or Disk Utility which in Panther has asr's functionality built-in.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2003, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by JLL:
You can use asr in Terminal or Disk Utility which in Panther has asr's functionality built-in.
More correctly, it has Carbon Copy Cloner's functionality built-in, since Bombich now works for Apple. They basically took his code, integrated it, and then "forgot" to give him a huge monetary reward.
( Last edited by Oneota; Oct 13, 2003 at 07:46 AM. )
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2003, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by Oneota:
More correctly, it has Carbon Copy Cloner's functionality built-in, since Bombich now works for Apple. They basically took his code, integrated it, and then "forgot" to give him a huge monetary reward.
asr (Apple Software Restore) does a great deal more than CCC. Perhaps Bombich is involved in making the asr command, but they didn't just take 'his code' (CCC is basically just running a script issuing various commands along the way).
JLL

Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2003, 07:49 AM

asr (Apple Software Restore) does a great deal more than CCC. Perhaps Bombich is involved in making the asr command, but they didn't just take 'his code' (CCC is basically just running a script issuing various commands along the way).
Yah, I know; but in addition to CCC, NetRestore Helper's functionality is now also built-in (with an interface that's surprisingly similar to Bombich's software).

At any rate, with Panther, there isn't much of a need for CCC anymore.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2003, 07:53 AM

At any rate, with Panther, there isn't much of a need for CCC anymore.
Would you care to elaborate on this?

I'm a frequent user of CCC and I don't know anything about this ASR, but I'd be very interested. I thought ASR was a CLI tool to install the system image, but CCC does by far more than just that.

captain swing
Oct 13, 2003, 08:17 AM

rerinting. dump printer prefs, then delete and add again your printer. in doing this panther looks for new drivers. this worked for me except for one quirk: printing always starts from the last page of a document!

swing

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2003, 08:23 AM

uControl is no longer working for me on my Powerbook.

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2003, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by workerbee:
Do others have this too? About the only usable app in the whole sorry MX 04 fiasco stopping to work in Panther?!
Studio MX 2004 runs fine on my Panther. Very very nicely actually.

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2003, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by drnkn_stylz:
Does PS 7.0 work for anyone? It didn't for me, the installer hangs at the end. Does synergy work okay?
Works fine here.

Photoshop is unable to save EPS files with a clipping path in 7B85. They appear without a preview in layout apps, and crash the app almost every time. (InDesign 2.0.2, FH MXa)
I'll try it tonight.
( Last edited by kulverse; Oct 13, 2003 at 08:34 AM. )

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2003, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by Liquidity X:
Yes, I am on a g4 DP 450 upgraded to a DP 800 and I run great...
Ditto. Exact same machine...Exact same upgrade. Works perfectly

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2003, 08:54 AM

Yah, I know; but in addition to CCC, NetRestore Helper's functionality is now also built-in (with an interface that's surprisingly similar to Bombich's software).
It's much easier to make custom Netinstall images in Panther than it is in Jaguar
JLL

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2003, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Would you care to elaborate on this?

I'm a frequent user of CCC and I don't know anything about this ASR, but I'd be very interested. I thought ASR was a CLI tool to install the system image, but CCC does by far more than just that.

In Disk Utility you have the ability to clone drives.
JLL

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2003, 08:59 AM

In Disk Utility you have the ability to clone drives.
Panther? Jaguar too?

Clone to what? Images? Bootable? Permissions?

More info please.

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2003, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Panther? Jaguar too?

Clone to what? Images? Bootable? Permissions?

More info please.
Panther! It just makes an exact clone of the drive.

No need for CCC.
JLL

Forum Links
Forum Rules