Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iTunes, crashes, OSX, etc.

iTunes, crashes, OSX, etc.
Obi Wan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2003, 06:48 PM

Yesterday, I attempted to open iTunes, and it gave me the "this application has unexpectedly quit" message. I tried it again again and got the same thing, so I figured a restart was in order.

I restarted the computer and got gray screen and a message that said "You need to restart your computer." So I tried to restart again, but this was as far as I could get. I tried over and over, but this was all I got.

I have an external hard drive for my more important files, so I figured I would just reload my OS. This was a major pain, and I lost lots of files, but no huge loss. So I got everything back up and running, and reload my software.

The old iTunes (2 I guess) that came with my OS works fine, but I been using the iTunes store, so I downloaded the newest iTunes. I loaded it up, and again, I got the "this applicatin has unexpectedly quit" message. So for some reason, iTunes 4 is just not going to work on my computer anymore. Weird, but again, no HUGE loss. I threw it away, reloaded the old iTunes, and it works great. Has anyone heard of problems opening iTunes like this?

As said, I have an external hard drive, and before the crash, when the computer went to sleep and then woke back up, the hard drive icon was still there, and had no problems at all. Now, after the reboot, when the computer wakes back up, it gives me this message saying that I didn't put away the drive and that some files could be damaged in it. Anyone seen this before? Is this a problem that has been corrected by various software updates that I lost during the reboot? I never experinced it before, and if I have to put away and then reopen that additional drive every time my computer goes to sleep or risk damaging files, that's just kind of annoying. The computer doesn't seem to recognize the drive as a constant piece of hardware that's ALWAYS going to be there. Before, if it went to sleep and woke back up, it didn't make any mention of the drive at all.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has an ideas about what's up with my iTunes or external drive. I really appreciate it. If it helps, I'm using an eMac with lots of RAM, and when I rebooted, I reloaded 10.1.4. Thanks again!

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2003, 07:21 PM

iTunes 4.1 requires 10.1.5 or better.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2003, 07:55 PM

It sounds like you need to check your drives with a good disk utility--I like Disk Warrior. Problems like you're having don't come out of the clear blue sky, and if you keep using a corrupted disk, things will only get worse.

Forum Links
Forum Rules