Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Best sweetspot PM

Best sweetspot PM
LTParis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2005, 09:51 PM

I have been wrangling over what to buy for my next machine, and for the first time I'll be switching over to a Mac for home/personal biz use (for 1.5 years I had a 733 G4 Quicksilver for work use).

So I have been struggling first with mobile v. desktop, and then if I went desktop, which way to go with that (iMac G5 20", mini mac + 20", Dual 1.8 or 2.0). My sweet spot in my budget is $2500 so if I go the way of the PM, it would be sans monitor for now (I have a craptacular 19" CRT that will be holding the weight till I can afford the 20" on top of the PM).

So my question I pose to you all is which PM to get? Is the 1.8 Dual + 1GB a better deal, 1.8 Dual + @GB, 2.0 Dual + 1GB?

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 10:22 PM

What are you going to be using it for?

LTParis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2005, 12:23 AM

The workhorse side of things would be Go Live, Photoshop, Illustrator work, and now that I am going to the Mac side of things I may get into some iDVD or FCP and Garage Band.

I am not an extreme user, but I am a heavy power user (always multi-taksing).

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 02:35 AM

In that case, I would recommend a dual 1.8 with 2gb of RAM and a 9600XT. Then, save up for a better monitor and buy that later. I've found myself most productive at resolutions of 1280x1024 or higher, so if your monitor can do that then a new Cinema Display won't be as important. My craptastic 17" monitor only does 1024x768, so most of the time I just use my iBook's LCD. When I go to Uni I'll probably get a PowerBook, mac mini, and 20" display. $3000 is my budget, and I'm not going to be doing anything really heavy anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules