Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Lapzilla as my new do it all system

Lapzilla as my new do it all system
LTParis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2005, 09:51 PM

So I am going around in circles on which new system to purchase as my do it all. I've flirted with the mini, iMac G5, and PM, but the more I am thinking about it, the more I think mobility will be a factor, which brings me back into laptop territory.

So on Saturday, I went to the Apple store in Bethesda MD and looked at all the desktops, the 17" and the 15". Immediatly I thought "kinda bulky" and even thought he screen impressed me, I went to the 15". Now mulling it over for a day, the 17" is big, but it's so light (compared to my wife's Inspiron 15" WS it's identical in weight). Combine that with I am a screen hog (when the Inspiron was mine I ordered it WSXGA+ 1680x1050) so I am thinking about the 17" as the crown jewel.

For home use I plan on getting a Kamas PB Stand, some HK Sticks for some good audio, and an Apple bluetooth keyboard (I still like to type on a full keyboard in a lot of instances).

So has anyone regretted a Lapzilla purchase? Swear by your purchase? Pour you info into my brain!

groovn72
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2005, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by LTParis:
So I am going around in circles on which new system to purchase as my do it all. I've flirted with the mini, iMac G5, and PM, but the more I am thinking about it, the more I think mobility will be a factor, which brings me back into laptop territory.

So on Saturday, I went to the Apple store in Bethesda MD and looked at all the desktops, the 17" and the 15". Immediatly I thought "kinda bulky" and even thought he screen impressed me, I went to the 15". Now mulling it over for a day, the 17" is big, but it's so light (compared to my wife's Inspiron 15" WS it's identical in weight). Combine that with I am a screen hog (when the Inspiron was mine I ordered it WSXGA+ 1680x1050) so I am thinking about the 17" as the crown jewel.

For home use I plan on getting a Kamas PB Stand, some HK Sticks for some good audio, and an Apple bluetooth keyboard (I still like to type on a full keyboard in a lot of instances).

So has anyone regretted a Lapzilla purchase? Swear by your purchase? Pour you info into my brain!
I went with the 12" - I'm a graduate student and need the portability.

LT - the HK Sticks are sweet. I listen to all sorts of music and everything sounds pretty good. When I study I like Baroque. They're really great for the price - check Amazon. They're about $118 there. Fair price - you can find considerably lower though but I don't know about the reputation of some of the sellers.

I'm in DC - was at the Apple store in Bethesda this Saturday too...small world.

Barry

spudnig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2005, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by LTParis:

LT,

I know where you are coming from! I too, fought with this issue. So...I bought both! I have to tell you, the reason I bought the 17" was because I first had the 15" and it was and is great. After several months od use with the 15", I used a company 17" and I never looked back. The 17" display is far superior to the 15" and the size and portability is less of an issue than I originally thought. The 15" seems washed out compared to the 17" in my opinion. This was further quantified on my recent visit to the Apple Store here in Aventura, Florida. I fact, my 15 and every other one I have seen is inferior to the 17".

So, to help your dilema, they are both wonderful machines, but given the new updates and price drops, the 17" is a pretty good value given the same specs. Of course, this is just my opinion.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 11:39 PM

17" is good, speakers are good (if lacking bass), backlighting is cool, heat is spread well - plus on your lap you can have your legs further apart - the heat is supposed to affect you down there - so having a wide PB could save you in that area.

It is big - the only real issue I have with it is the screen, it flops over if you tilt the PB - to be honest I don't find myself in a position where I do that often

I think the current PB 17" is a really good buy - Tiger will probably come out near March 24th (OS X 4 year anniversary) so try and get it nearer then - if you can wait. I could be wrong BTW

Overall I like it - at least 3 people have bought macs after seeing/using it, everyone says 'wow!' when they see it.

I orginally got it 'cause the 15" were dodgy and I needed the PB at the time so went for the 17" - it is big but I wouldn't get a 15" now - if I needed something to cart about a lot I'd get an iBook.

(hope that makes sense - tired - trying to finish stuff off, or given that I'm here� not)

Forum Links
Forum Rules