Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > does anyone regret buying an iMac G5 ?

does anyone regret buying an iMac G5 ?
loren s
Senior User
Feb 8, 2005, 01:12 PM

Like speed power or whatnot. I am jonesing for the 20 inch screen mostly.

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2005, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by loren s:
Like speed power or whatnot. I am jonesing for the 20 inch screen mostly.
Don't regret buying my 20" one iota.
It is a beautifully designed piece of hardware that does all and more than i ask of it in a simple stylish way without fault.
If only my cable provider were as good!
KRO
Ali P

mubach
Feb 8, 2005, 04:17 PM

My only regret from buying my iMacG5 is not getting Bluetooth >.<
Otherwise the imac is a wonderful svelte machine that wont disapoint you (make sure to load it up with tons of ram!)

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 8, 2005, 04:33 PM

I wouldn't admit "regret" per se, but I do find the noise/pitch/whine of the iMac G5's fans bothersome at times.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

mattyd
Senior User
Feb 8, 2005, 05:00 PM

Absolutley not. Best computer ever. (I have the 20".)

jamez bond
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2005, 03:13 AM

Beautiful machine. Does what it says on the box, have no problem with noise
Yahoo! Got my new Macbook!
[FONT="Verdana"]My Blog[/FONT]

discotronic
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 12:40 PM

I won't regret it once Apple figures out the high pitched noise problem.

slapdash
Feb 9, 2005, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:
I won't regret it once Apple figures out the high pitched noise problem.
I owned a Mirror Door Dual 867 G4 before I got my iMac G5 20". That noise people complain about here is like silence to my ears after having that thing

I'm extremely happy with my iMac G5. Once it's got a bit more RAM in there she functions extremely well. The only regret I could have had was that if I had bought the 17" I would be complaining about a lack of workspace. The 20" however has plenty to work with, so no regrets from me!

If you're thinking of buying one, get the 20". It's worth it in the long run.

H. Georgan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2005, 02:37 PM

If the two major problems on my iMac don't get fixed (white band on lower part of LCD, unbearable fan noise/processor overheating to the point where computer puts itself to sleep), then I will completely regret the purchase (and dream about a full-refund). If these problems do get fixed, then I will go back to saying that this is the best Mac I've ever owned (which I said often during the first two months of ownership, before the foregoing problems arose).

P
Feb 9, 2005, 03:03 PM

Love mine (17" 1.8). If you're worried about the noise, see the "iMac fan noise" thread for notes. It also seems to be better on the 20"ers.

mattyd
Senior User
Feb 9, 2005, 04:02 PM

Mine is practically silent. I can't hear it unless the room is completely quiet otherwise.

dagmar
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2005, 10:36 PM

mattyd said: Mine is practically silent. I can't hear it unless the room is completely quiet otherwise.

Same here (17" 1.8). So far, I don't find the fans objectionable at all, and also can only hear them if the room is completely silent. Much more tolerable than the MDD dual 867 this is replacing...that one really scared me when I first got it.

slapdash
Feb 9, 2005, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by dagmar:
Much more tolerable than the MDD dual 867 this is replacing...that one really scared me when I first got it.
Hey, you had one too I totally know what you mean, the dual 867 was a monster as far as noise levels went. Even after I installed the upgrade mod Apple offerred to quiet it down it was still unbearable. I had to have music pumping all day just to get work done it was so bad. In comparison my iMac G5 20" is silent as a faint breeze or a car in the far distance; nothing I can't handle with ease.

tntracy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 04:46 PM

No regrets here. I absolutely love my 20" G5 iMac, and have not experienced the fan noise problem to date.

Tom

Nostrildomus
Feb 11, 2005, 06:20 PM

17" , maxed out RAM, Bluetooth mouse & keyboard - Couldn't be happier

gonadman
Feb 11, 2005, 07:12 PM

No problems here. Very happy with my 1.8 17".

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2005, 10:27 PM

We have the fan noise thing and still love it. The screen is fantastic and the machine, for our needs is fast. Coming from an iMac DVSE 400 this thing is a dream.

We still get good use of our old iMac btw, and still love it too. It's amazing how small and friendly it looks.

insha
Senior User
Feb 11, 2005, 11:12 PM

I want one.

as2
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 09:29 AM

Me too! My iMac DV400 packed up about a month before xmas, but I've just bought my first house, so money's pretty tight at the moment. Will probably wait till the rev2 or upgrade comes out so I can try and pick up a 2nd hand one.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Finrock
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2005, 03:17 PM

The iMac G5 is by far the best computer I have ever owned. I consider myself a power user and put my Macs through a lot of abuse. This one has never, ever felt slow to me.

Of course, I did put 2GB of ram in it

-Finrock (20"/1.8/2GB/250/BT)
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

P
Feb 13, 2005, 04:31 PM

I might add that since I wrote this, the video-out has failed. The iMac thinks the video-out adapter is a VGA-adapter. No idea what went wrong. Buyer beware.

SynApple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 05:41 PM

Yes... totally.

And in fact I dumped it... it was just way too squeaky, overheated and extrabuzzy for my tastes.

Maybe next Rev?
Mac Mini 1.4GHZ
Apple 20" Cinema Display
iPod 3G - 15GB
iPod Mini - Blue

Sarah31
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2005, 02:46 PM

I love my 17" 1.8. Despite having to replace my Midplane board already I couldn't be happier. I haven't noticed any annoying fan noise either. I used to run an AMD XP 1800+ and that puppy was noisy and there is no sound yet that my iMac has made that approaches the sound that PC fans make.

The only other thing I had to do was bump up the RAM. I still would like to bump it even more in the near future.

papplegate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2005, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by mattyd:
Mine is practically silent. I can't hear it unless the room is completely quiet otherwise.
Silent here as well. No regrets here. Have been totally PC free since Dec 04.
iMac G5 20'' 250GB, 2GB RAM OS X Server 10.4.8
MacBook Pro C2D 3GB RAM

iv_zar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2005, 08:12 PM

Mine is going great

The fan does kick in sometimes but that is only on 30+ degree days
I dont have air conditioning

The only regret i have is not getting bluetooth

Would i be able to, can i do it myself or does it have to be done at the shop
iMac G5 (20"...oh Yeah) 1 Ghz RAM, 160 Ghz Hard Drive and dont forget the good looks

VanteS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2005, 09:50 PM

Well, I'm a switcher coming from a 2ghz Win XP machine and I haven't looked back. I just dropped 2 gb's of ram on this thing and it's performing like a champ!

No regrets whatsoever.
20" iMac G5 1.8 Ghz
2 GB Ram
250 GB HD & 2x250 GB Ext. HD
Superdrive

LTParis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 07:57 PM

See it's threads like this that make me go crazy, in a good sort of way. I am on my way as a bonified switcher (I was apsudo-work switcher having OS-X on a 733 QS at work). For the past solid month I have been agonizing over buying:

iMac 20"
PM Dual 1.8
PB 15" or 17" 1.67

Out of all of them, the iMac 20" is by far the sexiest, but can it handle my needs. I am not a hardcore video editor (yet), but I would love to dablle in it as soo as I pick up my new machine. I currently do a lot of Dreamweaver/GoLive web creation, some moderate Photoshop work, of course Office apps and the such, but when is the line crossed beyond the iMac capabilities? Sure I would love to buy a Dual 1.8, 2.0 or 2.5 with a nice 20" or 23" screen but it seems that will fall well outside my budget ($2500 is a sweet spot).

Help me all, can the iMac 20" (1.5GB Ram) satisfy the moderate to true power user needs?

mattyd
Senior User
Feb 16, 2005, 11:41 AM

I'd say absolutely.

Go for it.

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2005, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by H. Georgan:
If the two major problems on my iMac don't get fixed (white band on lower part of LCD, unbearable fan noise/processor overheating to the point where computer puts itself to sleep), then I will completely regret the purchase (and dream about a full-refund). If these problems do get fixed, then I will go back to saying that this is the best Mac I've ever owned (which I said often during the first two months of ownership, before the foregoing problems arose).
Isn't this like saying that if it were not for shooting the ball and dribbling the ball I would be a great basketball player?

An all in one computer with a bunk display that shuts itself down. Great! I'm assuming this is not a common problem and can be treated under warranty? I'd have that sucker back to Apple PRONTO.

MrKlin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2005, 02:16 PM

It is a beautiful machine and I have minimal number of things attached to it (avoiding the Medusa effect) to preserve its aesthetics.

Nevertheless, I still wish it would be quieter. Its small fans, even when on low speed, still makes a whine that you do not hear on the large fans (80mm and up, for example) at low speeds.

I am not a gamer but I still wish the iMac G5 had a better video card.
One iMac, one iBook, one iPod, way too many PCs...

AlfaMunky
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2005, 12:35 PM

I love my 20"; all the crap talked about the GPU (including by myself) is off base. I can play and do anything I've needed/wanted to do on this great machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules