Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Popping Sounds from Speaker after Replacing HD on 17

Popping Sounds from Speaker after Replacing HD on 17
NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2005, 03:56 AM

Hi Guys,

I replaced the 5400 60gb Fjuitsu drive in my Rev A 17" this afternoon with a Seagate 5400 Momentus 100gb.

When I turned power back on, I lost sound. I figured I just pinched or didn't seat a cable properly. So after taking the computer apart and re-seating every single cable I touched, I turned it back on.

Now I get a scratching/buzzing/popping sound when the speaker goes off (when I turn off the speaker, the sound still plays through the speakers when it acts up, like a brrrrzzzzzz brrrrzzzzzz, stacco sound. Is this a resonance/interference issue from the hard drive? Or did I break something?

I'm going to take it apart again and try putting it together again carefully. I was very gentle and don't think I did anything wrong.

Will try resetting the PRAM and if all else fails, plug the old drive back in the computer to see if it's the new drive.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm running System 10.3.8, 1 gig rev A 17" Powerbook.
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.

Voltaire

NewOldbie  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2005, 06:09 AM

Hmmm, plugged the old drive back in and am getting the same noise.

Nothing from the speakers except the occasional buzz/clicking sound, it is definitely coming from the speakers.

Anyone?

Voltaire

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2005, 08:42 AM

Do you get clean audio via the headphone jack? If so, then try reseating the speaker connector.

NewOldbie  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2005, 01:09 PM

I get the same sound when I plug in headphones. It comes through both the headsets and the speakers.

I'm guessing maybe I fried the sound card? Maybe Monday I'll call macfixit and get a new sound card.

I'm going to try moving the cables around a bit and see if it is interference (the sound reminds me of RF interference on a stereo system).

On another note, how do I force the fan to come on? Set processor on hi? I haven't heard the fan come on either. But then, I haven't used the computer for any length of time other than to install Panther on the new drive.

Thanks for any tips.

Voltaire

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2005, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by NewOldbie:
I'm going to try moving the cables around a bit and see if it is interference (the sound reminds me of RF interference on a stereo system).
I doubt it's RF interference. Check to make sure that the sound card is seated properly.

Originally posted by NewOldbie:
On another note, how do I force the fan to come on? Set processor on hi? I haven't heard the fan come on either. But then, I haven't used the computer for any length of time other than to install Panther on the new drive.

Thanks for any tips.
Instead of trying to force a broken fan to come on by overheating your computer, try monitoring the temperature. Isn't there some program that lets you see CPU temps?

NewOldbie  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2005, 02:12 PM

RF interference: I've moved the speaker cable around the HD ribbon and still get the same noise. I'm thinking to sound card may be shot.

I'll find the cpu temperature monitor thingie and check the temperature.

Unplugged and re-seated the speaker cable.

Checked the RAM and they seem fine.

Right now I have the system put back together. Other than the noise, everything seems to be working.

Hmmm, think I may have found a problem.

My backlit keys are not working (F9 & F10), and when I adjust the screen brightness, the meter jumps up by 2's instead of 1 box at a time.

Let me plug in an external keyboard . . . Okay, something's wrong with the keyboard. Will reseat the connection and see what the story is.

And the story continues. . .

Voltaire

NewOldbie  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2005, 09:13 PM

Made a trip to the Apple store to have the "geniuses" look at the pb, they got no idea, "the machine has to be sent in for service, about 1 week."

Are you kidding? I've got work to do, not to mention I have to file my taxes

Anyhoo, I unplugged the sound board connector and the noise is gone. I'm guessing Monday AM I'll be calling PBFixIt to buy a new sound board.

But this doesn't explain why my F8, F9 & F10 keys don't work. It gives me a little white circle w/ slash when I try to adjust backlite key level.

Anybody else have ideas?

Voltaire

Forum Links
Forum Rules