Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Quad G5 PM Shipping Thread

Quad G5 PM Shipping Thread (Page 3)
chaseb85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by dr. zoidberg
thanks, chaseb85 .... all i can say is WOW! all this sounds *very* good. 40 space designers alone seem stunning ... phew.

i have 2x1gb dimms lying at my desktop, so i will start out with 2.5gb and see how far it will take me ... i usually don't work with huge symphonic sample libraries, so i figure that this could be sufficient for a while. but RAM is pretty cheap these days anyway ...

btw: i have als ordered the stock video card ...
You should be good with 2.5 GB of RAM. Turning that test I did it told me that I was using about 1.8GB ram in Logic, so you should be fine.

Did you already upgrade to 7.1.1?
-PowerMac G5 2.5Ghz Quad 4.5 GB DDR2 RAM

Jason Bourne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2005, 12:58 AM

FYI-

My Quad with the 7800 has shipped today. I ordered on Oct 29th and estimated ship date was Dec 28th. Looking forward to it.

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2005, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by chaseb85
You should be good with 2.5 GB of RAM. Turning that test I did it told me that I was using about 1.8GB ram in Logic, so you should be fine.

Did you already upgrade to 7.1.1?
ok, excellent! yes, i am running 7.1.1. already. i will also be using REAKTOR 5 a lot ... yum, coming from a powerbook 1.33 this should really be a pretty pleasant experience.

aaarrgh, the waiting!!
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2005, 10:27 PM

FORTY space designers? Holy crap - and all that other stuff to boot.

I can hear it in my head - thick and chocolatey.

I gotta do some serious tracking and see what I can push this machine to do now.

34skyline
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2005, 01:49 AM

I've been wanting a Quad for a while now but ever sense Steve Jobs announced that he's putting Intel chips in their computers next year. I wonder should I wait until 2007 for a PowerMac. What really going to be the difference between a PowerPc chip and a Intel chip if you can't tell a difference. The reason I said you can't tell a difference is that back in june I believe, jobs surprise everyone when he announced that he was using a Intel PowerMac in his keynote address. So to all that who purchase the Quad how is it. Is it worth getting and did you stick with geforce 6600 or upgrade to a 7800, do you regret on getting the Quad even if the intel PowerMac are coming in 2007. Do you guys think I should go ahead and purchase the PowerMac Quad or wait until 2007 for the PowerMac Intel. I've been working alot of overtime for the past 11 months, working 6 days a week 11 hours a day just to pay for the Quad and I just what to make the right descision when I buy the PowerMac

turk.o  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2005, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by 34skyline
I've been wanting a Quad for a while now but ever sense Steve Jobs announced that he's putting Intel chips in their computers next year. I wonder should I wait until 2007 for a PowerMac. What really going to be the difference between a PowerPc chip and a Intel chip if you can't tell a difference. The reason I said you can't tell a difference is that back in june I believe, jobs surprise everyone when he announced that he was using a Intel PowerMac in his keynote address. So to all that who purchase the Quad how is it. Is it worth getting and did you stick with geforce 6600 or upgrade to a 7800, do you regret on getting the Quad even if the intel PowerMac are coming in 2007. Do you guys think I should go ahead and purchase the PowerMac Quad or wait until 2007 for the PowerMac Intel. I've been working alot of overtime for the past 11 months, working 6 days a week 11 hours a day just to pay for the Quad and I just what to make the right descision when I buy the PowerMac
please, please, please, do your self a favor and buy the quad. even if the intel PMs come out on Jan. 1st 2007 (which i'd say is unlikely), that is an entire year from now that you could be using your computer, and a year is a looong time, especially in computers. as many have said before, the switch to intel was not nearly as much about the Power Macs but about the laptops. today the quad could square off very solidly with any other desktop system with intels and that isn't going to change overnight.

the quad is a very powerful machine and if you need that power you probably use a lot of pro apps. if this is the case i can assure you all these apps will support the G5 ppc for a long time to come. and no one knows when they will start supporting the intel PMs, but i remember waiting quite a while for adobe to update all its apps for o x, so . . . if a quad PM can do what you want it to do today, then now is the time to buy. just my 2¢ of course, though i did just back it up with a $3k+ purchase myself a few weeks ago.

t.o

MDD867
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2005, 03:10 PM

If I was primarly an iLife or FCP user, I would wait for the Intels because the Apple apps will be the first ones to support the platform. But because I'm a professional DTP user who relies 100% on third party programs, and the looong transform to OSX is in my recent memory...

With that in mind, I bought the Quad +30" and im planning to use it until all the pro apps are ready for the new hardware. Then it's a good time to switch.

Remember also that the Rosetta emulation will eat away all speed gains from the possibly faster Intel hardware if you have to use the current apps with it.

Or just skip the whole Intel transformation and wait until 2033 when they switch to alien brain cell technology revealed by the the secret freemason world government that will be revealed after the nuclear catastroph and third world war in year 2021...

Or just ignore my drunken non-native english blabber and go to sleep.

CIA
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2005, 02:11 PM

So my Quad came today. I'm in NH at the moment, need to pack up the car and drive back to VT first. I will be setting it up tonight once I get a chance to clean off my desk. Gonna take awhile to build the RAID and put all my old drives from my Quicksilver DP800 into firewire cases and whatnot. Box is smaller then I expected.
Anyway, on a side note, my father (big photographer/photoshop user) just got one of those Dell 2405 24" widescreen HD displays. Man. I gotta get me one now. It's amazing, USB2 hub, built in Memory card reader, 3 inputs for Component, s-video, DVI. You can PIP or Side by side view. It's nice. He got it for $750 off eBay. Zero stuck/dead pixels.
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2005, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson
FORTY space designers? Holy crap - and all that other stuff to boot.

I can hear it in my head - thick and chocolatey.

I gotta do some serious tracking and see what I can push this machine to do now.
hehe yeah. i think the first thing i'll do is a track consisting only of klopfgeists and space designers ... ramping 'em up and up to the roof ...
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

JCT
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2005, 09:37 PM

Hooray!

Mine finally shipped today -- original ship date was Dec 26th, so this was a very pleasant suprise.

Now I get to watch FedEx like a hawk.

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

orangelego
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 05:23 PM

WOOOT! My Computer also shipped... shipping date was Dec 26th.. the only reason i thought to look was due to JCT's messg ty! ; )

Jason Bourne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 05:59 PM

JCT - good luck with Fedex. Mine shipped last friday and has been in Fedex's possession since then. All week the tracking status showed no progress since Friday in california. About 1 hr ago I checked again and the status has updated to show that my Quad is now in my state - hopefully it will be delivered tomorrow.

We'll see.

Jason Bourne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 06:01 PM

JCT - good luck with Fedex. Mine shipped last friday and has been in Fedex's possession since then. All week the tracking status showed no progress since Friday in california. About 1 hr ago I checked again and the status has updated to show that my Quad is now in my state - hopefully it will be delivered tomorrow.

We'll see.

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2005, 07:41 PM

Got mine today.

Quad 2.5
5GB RAM
2x500GB Drives
7800GT
Airport+Bluetooth

OH SO FAST, and REALLY quiet. Far quieter than any other G5 I've had (Dual 2.0, Dual 2.5, Dual 2.7). My 7 Lacie drives are making all the noise in the suite. It's crazy!

G5man
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2005, 09:51 PM

7!!! You must really need an Xserve RAID
Mac mini 1.42 Ghz 1GB RAM 80 GB HD + 160 GB External HD

JCT
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2005, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jason Bourne

We'll see.
Ah, thanks for the heads-up, Jason. I'll admit that I checked it a couple of times today to see if it had left. I would have gone nuts if I didn't know it was "normal" to not see updates...

The word of mouth on the Quads has been great -- I can't wait to set mine up and I am **very** glad I went ahead and ordered the 7800 !

Best,

Jil
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

Jason Bourne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 10:38 PM

Best of luck with the wait. I suspect I will suddenly feel ill when it comes in to the office tomorrow and need to go home.

So what is everyone doing in terms of transferring apps and files over to their new Quad? I think my plan will be to:
1) Install the extra 4GB of RAM I have had sitting here for the past 3 weeks
2) Boot that bad-boy up
3) Install all my software from CD/DVD onto the fresh, clean system
4) Take out the 120GB drive from my Sawtooth G4, plop it into a firewire external enclosure and copy files/other software over
5) Enjoy the quad-tastic speediness

I'm trying to keep the system as clean as possible and this seems like a good way to do it. Has anyone done something else or have any suggestions (e.g., carbon copy cloner of old drive on to new drive, installer's archive and copy function - or whatever it is called)?

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2005, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by G5man
7!!! You must really need an Xserve RAID
Yeah, 7 drives, 4x250GB, 3x500 GB. As for the XServe, it'd be nice. I don't know if I could deal with THAT kind of noise.

crooner
Senior User
Dec 8, 2005, 05:00 AM

Best of luck with the wait. I suspect I will suddenly feel ill when it comes in to the office tomorrow and need to go home.

So what is everyone doing in terms of transferring apps and files over to their new Quad? I think my plan will be to:
2) Boot that bad-boy up
4) Take out the 120GB drive from my Sawtooth G4, plop it into a firewire external enclosure and copy files/other software over

I'm trying to keep the system as clean as possible and this seems like a good way to do it. Has anyone done something else or have any suggestions (e.g., carbon copy cloner of old drive on to new drive, installer's archive and copy function - or whatever it is called)?
Jason, when I got my dual 2.7 I wanted to use the migration assistant but also wanted a way to keep track of what files were from the virgin installation of Tiger. I put together a few very simple AppleScripts that applies your chosen Finder label to all the files in the two library folders as well as most of the folders in the System folder. (Some won't accept labels due to permissions.) In my case I used the grey label (number 7). You can change this to whatever label you want by adding the corresponding label number.

This has helped me out numerous times during troubleshooting as I can tell by sight if a file was from the original install or if I added it in either the installation of new software or if I migrated it from a different Mac or drive.

Here is the script to label the items in the root level Mac OS X System folder:

[PHP]tell application "Finder"
activate
set label index of every item of the entire contents of folder "System" of disk "{insert your drive name here}" to 7
end tell[/PHP]

Here's the one for the root level Library:

activate
set label index of every item of the entire contents of folder "Library" of disk "{insert your drive name here}" to 7
end tell[/PHP]

And here is one to label the contents of your user account Library folder:

activate
set label index of every item of the entire contents of folder "Library" of folder "{enter your home folder name}" of folder "Users" of disk "{insert your drive name here" to 7
end tell[/PHP]

I hope this proves to be useful to you and anyone else interested.

Disclaimer: I am in NO WAY and AppleScript expert and there exists the possibility that these scripts won't work for you or possibility muck up your system. Use at your own risk. That being said, they worked fine for me.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

wjpjr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2005, 12:20 PM

2) Boot that bad-boy up

My recommendation from my Quad upgrade to leave old baggage behind ...

1) Clone old system onto external Firewire drive; boot old sytem with clone to test
2) Take out the XXXGB drive(s) from old system, plop it into a firewire external enclosure if applicable for manual migration
3) Exam inside and ouside for defects - mine had an extra screw rattling in the power supply area -- no ill effect
4) Optonally run Apple HW tests
5) Plug cloned external old system disk into new as shipped Quad Firewire port and boot that bad-boy up
6) Open applications, etc.,to observe things work for a well, i.e., no kernel panics, freezes, etc.
7) Shutdown, install old HD(s) or use orignal HD for manual migration
8) Boot Quad using factory DVD install disk if preparing old HDs for fresh clean migration, otherwise boot Quad skip to step 10
9) Perform an Erase and Install from factory DVD
10) Optionally register; begin manual migration of old prefs, registrations, etc., and application reinstalls or skip to 11 before migration
11) Shutdown and install third party RAM
12) Optionally run Apple HW RAM tests
13) Boot that bad-boy up again
14) Enjoy the quad-tastic speediness

Your milage may vary but these are the steps I used to migrate from a G5 2.5 to a standard Quad with 4GB of third party RAM and my old G5's dual Hitachi 500GB drives.

Jason Bourne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2005, 05:15 PM

Hey thanks for the suggestions - I'll be sure to use them!

By the way, I'm going nuts here - last update from Fedex:
Dec 8, 2005 4:23 AM On FedEx vehicle for delivery

It's 4:15PM now. Where the hell is my quad?

Forum Links
Forum Rules