Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > $899 iMac

$899 iMac
lizardgator
Jul 5, 2006, 09:08 AM

I just heard on CNBC business news that Apple will be releasing an $899 iMac model targeted at the education market. No specs were given though.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2006, 09:14 AM

core solo, its not available to the general public.

memory-minus
Senior User
Jul 5, 2006, 09:15 AM

160GB to 80 GB HDD.
Superdrive to Combo drive.
$400 price drop.

Complaints about how this config is only available to the education market in 5... 4... 3...

memory-minus
Senior User
Jul 5, 2006, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
core solo
Wrong.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/jul/05imac.html

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2006, 09:17 AM

anyone got any idea of what you CAN'T do with the new video card? damn this thing could be perfect for my girlfriend.

memory-minus
Senior User
Jul 5, 2006, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by gooser
anyone got any idea of what you CAN'T do with the new video card? damn this thing could be perfect for my girlfriend.
Oh man I missed that one. The Intel GMA integrated graphics is the same as in the Mac mini, so the answer to your question is quite a bit compared to the X1600. It's decent, just don't expect that much from it. Oh and it requires some of your system RAM to operate.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2006, 09:27 AM

so it should be able to do anything a mini can? hmmmm....... interesting

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 5, 2006, 09:30 AM

Cool. Unlike with the eMac, education individuals can buy the new low end iMac too. It's $949 with the 160 GB hard drive, which is still $250 lower than the $1199 for the 17" with Radeon X1600, 160 GB, and SuperDrive. I think it will be popular for the education types for institutional purchases. No SuperDrive option though in the GMA 950 iMac for education individuals.

The stupid part is that non-education people can't buy it. This machine would be perfect for a lot of low end non-education buyers, and much more appropriate than the Mac mini for many of them, especially if the low end iMac got a SuperDrive option.

BTW, for some reason I don't see it at all on the Canadian online education store.

Originally Posted by gooser
so it should be able to do anything a mini can? hmmmm....... interesting
It can't burn DVDs, which is a... errr... bummer. No Bluetooth or Apple Remote either.

At everything else though it will be as fast or faster than the Mac mini, especially since the iMac isn't saddled with a laptop hard drive, and the iMac has a higher-clocked CPU.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2006, 09:33 AM

is santa claus coming to town?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2006, 09:38 AM

you have to buy the remote seperatly? thats jippy

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 09:38 AM

I realize you probably know this, Eug, but it's worth pointing out that the no-BT/no-remote thing is a big plus for a huge chunk of the expected market (especially since it's only available through educational channels). A school lab admin would probably hate to have to have a closet full of remotes or to spend the time eBaying them..

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
I realize you probably know this, Eug, but it's worth pointing out that the no-BT/no-remote thing is a big plus for a huge chunk of the expected market (especially since it's only available through educational channels). A school lab admin would probably hate to have to have a closet full of remotes or to spend the time eBaying them..
Well, if the admin didn't want them, he could just throw them out.

Anyways, I'm thinking specifically of education individuals. Remotes can be added later (assuming you want one at all) for a mere $26, but it's a pain for Bluetooth since it would require a dongle.

nickw311
Senior User
Jul 5, 2006, 09:46 AM

So are you positive that FrontRow is going to work and it will have the IR sensor for the remote? I already have a remote from my MacBook.

Edit: I guess it kinda would have to work given that the remote is a bto option.
27" iMac C2D

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 09:47 AM

To me, this is more of an upgraded Mini than anything and I may have to order one.
Agent69

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker

Anyways, I'm thinking specifically of education individuals. Remotes can be added later (assuming you want one at all) for a mere $26, but it's a pain for Bluetooth since it would require a dongle.
Yeah, as I was typing, I realized it's harder to justify leaving Bluetooth out. Admins can always lock it down in software, and even if it were left on, it's hard to imagine lab users screwing much up with it. You just might have the machine paired with a whole bunch of phones, and really, how many people even know they can do that?

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2006, 09:57 AM

how many kids can't do that?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 5, 2006, 10:41 AM

Schools don't need Bluetooth. This iMac is clearly designed to be a general-purpose computer lab workstation. Wired peripherals are a must, since otherwise they will "disappear". Why pay for wireless they'll never use? Just about the only thing people do use BT for is phones, and linking their phones to the computer is something kids don't need to be doing in class.

And if some school for some reason does need BT, they can order the step-up configuration or add a BT dongle later on.

tooki

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 11:03 AM

Anyone considering a Mini has to give the iMac4E some consideration. The top of the line Mini does have Superdrive and Bluetooth, which the iMac4E lacks, but in return you get:

-A faster processor (1.83ghz vs 1.66ghz)
-A faster SATA HDD (7200rpm vs 5400rpm)
-Built-in LCD screen
-Ability to have dual monitors
-iSight Camera
-Keyboard and Mouse

I personally think the iMac4E is a better value, but then again I don't use BlueTooth and I don't have a need for a Superdrive.
Agent69

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 11:13 AM

This is the edu emac the rumor sites were on about then...
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2006, 11:41 AM

Does anyone know what percentage of edu macs go into school computer labs vs. homes/apts/dorms of students? My sister is starting college and I would have recommended this but without the remote and bluetooth I won't. I understand it can't have everything (I am fine with the gma 950), but if more edu macs end up in dorms it doesn't make sense to remove BT just because the computer lab admin has no use for them.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2006, 11:52 AM

you could purchase the remote separately if needed...and front row is still accessible by pressing cmd-esc if wanted, and no BT is no big deal (and should be able to get added on later if one wants for a small fee). this is a great computer if somebody wanted a new intel machine but doesnt want to pay huge bucks for it, kudos to apple.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2006, 12:00 PM

Agreed tooki, Bluetooth is irrelevant for most labs. It's useful for the education individuals however.

Originally Posted by iREZ
you could purchase the remote separately if needed...and front row is still accessible by pressing cmd-esc if wanted, and no BT is no big deal (and should be able to get added on later if one wants for a small fee).
Well, not really. I suspect adding Bluetooth = dongle. Actually dongles work just fine. It's just that I hate dongles.

this is a great computer if somebody wanted a new intel machine but doesnt want to pay huge bucks for it, kudos to apple.
If you happen to have an education connection that is...

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 12:40 PM

If you happen to have an education connection that is...
I know a lot of people who order throught the EDU Store who are not students.

If Apple catches you buying from the EDU store and you are not a student, all they normally do is charge you what you saved by not buying the product in the normal fashion. Since the iMac4E is not available outside of the EDU Store, who knows what Apple would try and charge?
Agent69

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2006, 03:05 PM

Seems like a bargain compared to the $1299 iMac. It is education only because Apple doesn't want to lose sales from the mini and other iMacs.

I still hate the integrated video, though.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 03:30 PM

Seems like a really good deal indeed.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 07:03 PM

This is a nice setup. I see an upgrade for the mini coming shortly...

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2006, 08:58 PM

I think these new iMacs will be available to the public by christmas. Didn't the eMac start out as a education only computer, and then went public?

I have a feeling these iMacs will do the same thing.

If they do, they will fly off the shelves.
The Religious Right is neither.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2006, 09:54 PM

right, but why would apple pay to add something the know will end up in the trash?

nope, i would rather pay$30 less for the machine
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2006, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon
Does anyone know what percentage of edu macs go into school computer labs vs. homes/apts/dorms of students? My sister is starting college and I would have recommended this but without the remote and bluetooth I won't. I understand it can't have everything (I am fine with the gma 950), but if more edu macs end up in dorms it doesn't make sense to remove BT just because the computer lab admin has no use for them.
that makes no sense. you can and a remote for 26$ and buy the bluetooth dongle for about the some, or would you rather pay $250 more for just for $26 remote? makes no sense i tell you none.
Computers:

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2006, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
right, but why would apple pay to add something the know will end up in the trash?

nope, i would rather pay$30 less for the machine
I was joking about admins throwing away the remote.

However, I'm not joking about Bluetooth for education individuals. Dongles suck. Mind you, for a low priced unit it's acceptable. The bigger downer is the lack of a SuperDrive option in this model.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2006, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Agent69
I know a lot of people who order throught the EDU Store who are not students.

If Apple catches you buying from the EDU store and you are not a student, all they normally do is charge you what you saved by not buying the product in the normal fashion. Since the iMac4E is not available outside of the EDU Store, who knows what Apple would try and charge?
This is indeed a great general purpose machine as Tooki mentioned earlier but what you are saying is utter BS. Apple doesn't go out of their way to try and "catch" people that are non-students. If anything, they may require proof of being a student such as your current class schedule as they do for ADC students.
If a non-student buys something from the EDU store and it gets shipped then they got away with a great deal. Apple's online EDU store believes in the honorable system and that's as far as it goes.

"IF" they require student confirmation and you can't give it they may send an email stating that you don't qualify.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2006, 03:26 AM

They'll pay me $899 to use a Mac with Intel integrated graphics? That's almost worth it…oh, wait, misunderstood.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

HAGEhead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2006, 09:33 AM

Something I just noticed about the $899 Mac when considering getting one: the iPod nano edu deal does not apply to that one. Makes it a little bit harder to justify as long as that promo's going on.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
that makes no sense. you can and a remote for 26$ and buy the bluetooth dongle for about the some, or would you rather pay $250 more for just for $26 remote? makes no sense i tell you none.
I guess it's more than just that. The extra $225 gets you the the superdrive, the video card, the bluetooth, and the ram on a single chip. Another $25 for the bluetooth dongle and you're right 200 bucks may not be worth it for the other 3 items. However, since it comes with a free nano you are really only paying $25 for the superdrive and video card.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by hldan
This is indeed a great general purpose machine as Tooki mentioned earlier but what you are saying is utter BS. Apple doesn't go out of their way to try and "catch" people that are non-students. If anything, they may require proof of being a student such as your current class schedule as they do for ADC students.
Apple doesn't precheck anyone, except in the retain stores. Anyone can order via the online EDU store but Apple does randomly check people after the fact. From Apple's Website @ http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...ndividual.html :

AUDIT RIGHTS
Apple routinely audits the purchases of customers at the Apple Store for Education to insure that only eligible purchases have ordered and that all purchase conditions have been observed. Should an audit disclose after delivery (or should Apple otherwise discover) that you were not an eligible purchaser at the time you placed your order or that you have not observed all of the conditions applicable to your purchase, you authorize Apple:

* If you placed your order by credit card, to charge to your credit card the difference between the amount you paid for the delivered goods and the price that Apple charged the general public for the same goods at the Apple Store, in effect on the date that you placed your order; and
* If you paid by a means other than credit card, to (a) invoice you for the difference between the amount that you paid for the delivered goods and the price that Apple charged the general public for the same goods at the Apple Store, payable in fifteen days from the date of the invoice, and (b), should you fail to pay the invoice when due, institute legal action against you in a court of competent jurisdiction, with the prevailing party entitled to attorneys' fees.
* Should Apple not offer to the general public the specific products that you purchased at the Apple Store for education, your credit card will be charged or you will be invoiced the difference between the amount you paid for the delivered goods and the price that Apple charged the general public for the closest equivalent goods at the Apple Store, in effect on the date that you placed your order.
Agent69

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2006, 01:01 PM

I guess it's more than just that. The extra $225 gets you the the superdrive, the video card, the bluetooth, and the ram on a single chip. Another $25 for the bluetooth dongle and you're right 200 bucks may not be worth it for the other 3 items. However, since it comes with a free nano you are really only paying $25 for the superdrive and video card.
Well, except that the edu price for a nano is $179, so you're paying $45 for that stuff. Still seems worth it.

However, I'm not joking about Bluetooth for education individuals. Dongles suck.Mind you, for a low priced unit it's acceptable.
On the other hand, excuses to use the word "dongle" rule. So thank you, Apple.

The bigger downer is the lack of a SuperDrive option in this model.
Does seem kinda silly to leave that out as even a BTO. Guess they're hoping that if individual purchasers want anything else, they'll spring for the whole $250.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2006, 03:56 PM

I don't want to hear about your dongles, people.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2006, 02:02 PM

I noticed this thread when it was started, and went to have a look at the local (Finnish) applestore. This seemed perfect for me, as I don't need anything which was left out. I was pretty shocked to notice it was listed for about 740€ in the finnish education store, so I purchased it. With 2GB of ram and a 160GB hardisk it ended up costing less then 1000€...

I got a an email confirming the purchase, but noticed later when I logged in to see my order that the price had strangly jumped up by about 400€. I went to look at the applestore (again) and the price was now about 970€ for the base model. I guess they have had about 25% cheaper prices in the store for a while.

It'll be intresting to see what ends up happening. Here in Finland we have pretty strict laws governing online purchases, ofcoures it's possible Apple won't even start giving me any trouble.

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2006, 03:27 PM

DONGLEDONGLEDONGLE!

I do think that the i4E (as I say it called on so random site lol) would be great for my grandma... my grandma doesn't need graphics, or Bluetooth, a 160 GB drive, or a DVD burner... plus, getting an iMac for Edu would allow enough money to get wireless over there for when I show up with my laptop... :>).
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2006, 08:55 PM

And now Apple just killed the $899 iMac.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2006, 09:42 PM

They didn't kill it entirely, they just made it for institutional purchase only, not any old education individual. So if you want one for yourself, you've gotta know someone who does departmental orders. That's really irritating; I think they should be out there in the retail stores too.

praterkeith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2006, 12:37 AM

It makes sense, I mean, all a consumer has to do is log-in the edu-page and viola! $400 price drop. I wouldnt need the bluetooth or the remote so it would be great! Apple saw this taking away from the consumer version so they cut us out. I would like to see a cheaper consumer machine. YES, I know you get what you pay for, and the Mini is great! But lets keep the Mini at $599, but throw in a 15" lcd! An LCD only made for the mini. That would help consumers go for the switch!
PowerMac G4-733mhz-Quicksilver | 5th gen. iPod-Video-30gb-White. | Pentax *istDS DSLR

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2006, 01:02 AM

ok. but know upfront that the reason there is a $169 rebate for the nano is that they want to empty stock. within days of the rebate program ends, expect a new nano like product to be announced. its what apple has dont for the past 3 years ago it was the b&w 20 gb ipod. and last year it was the mini, both were quickly replaced after the end of the rebate programs. (just fyi)
Computers:

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2006, 03:49 AM

you could always get a refurb 17" iMac for $200 cheaper... although I really wouldn't trust a refurb laptop, I see no problem with getting a refurbished iMac...
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2006, 10:31 AM

This is a true shame, as our lab was thinking about picking one up. Institutional purchases are nice until you realize that you have to jump through hoops and red tape rather than writing an official check.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2006, 08:01 AM

Did anyone here actually order one before they were pulled? Did Apple cancel your order?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2006, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by praterkeith
It makes sense, I mean, all a consumer has to do is log-in the edu-page and viola! $400 price drop. I wouldnt need the bluetooth or the remote so it would be great! Apple saw this taking away from the consumer version so they cut us out. I would like to see a cheaper consumer machine. YES, I know you get what you pay for, and the Mini is great! But lets keep the Mini at $599, but throw in a 15" lcd! An LCD only made for the mini. That would help consumers go for the switch!
15" ACD would be awesome ^_^
 Certified AppleCare Technician

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2006, 08:17 PM

I think I would rather have a widescreen 17 inch. I think 15 inches is too small.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2006, 08:30 PM

Moot point, not available to end-users anymore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules