Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What does the beep on startup indicate with AC power and battery? Problematic MB :/

What does the beep on startup indicate with AC power and battery? Problematic MB :/
cyberwarrior
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2006, 08:57 AM

Hi all, I have one of the faulty MB's, it only exhibits shutdown issues on cold boot, however at no other time.

This morning I tried holding down the power button with the AC and battery plugged in, the MB made a different beep from that of PRAM reset. What does this beep mean?. It then started successfully.

So it's a morning routine to zap the PMU and PRAM!! Occasionally that helps. (I need it for work for the next week so i pray it continues to eventually start before i can return it). Only 15 attempts this morning!

I want to smash it when it won't start and pat it when it's running!
MB 1.83GHz/2GB
ACD 20"

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 28, 2006, 10:40 AM

Have you called Apple to have it fixed if it is faulty?

"Hello, what have we here?

cyberwarrior  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2006, 10:53 AM

Hi LM,

AppleCare, after amusing me with PMU and PRAM resets and suggesting it may be the installation of OSX, the tech. said she would file it as DOA (or similar). Apple won't replace it because it was supplied to me upgraded (2Gb RAM) from a store other than Apple (they irritatingly didn't send me the 512 stock mem.), so they will only repair it. I will try to have the store from which I recieved the machine replace it.

FYI it is week 24. More here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....781068#2781068 on the shutdown/cold start problems.
MB 1.83GHz/2GB
ACD 20"

Apple IIgs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2006, 11:57 AM

Hrm.... no replacements unless you buy it directly from Apple? With all of the problems people have been having upgrading their own memory, I have been debating on purchasing a macbook from a place like macmall or maczone. They can put the memory in for you and give you a parts and labor warranty on the memory (I believe). So I guess the question is, if you do end up having a bad logic board (etc etc) will Apple not replace the entire system? Do you then have to try and send it back to the webstore (ugh) that you bought it from to get a replacement?

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't when it comes to upgrading memory unless you pay out the wazoo for apple to do it. :sigh:
NEW: Macbook 1.83Ghz
Current: Powerbook G4 550Mhz (TIbook) w/ broken hinge and dead battery
Used to have: Powermac 6116CD and a Apple IIgs

Forum Links
Forum Rules