Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > U.S. under fire for secret prisons

U.S. under fire for secret prisons
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 12:56 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html

GENEVA, Switzerland (AP) -- The U.S. should immediately shut down any secret detention facilities and grant prompt access to the Red Cross to any person detained in connection with an armed conflict, a U.N. rights panel said in a report released Friday.
Why does this not shock me at all. I really wonder how many secret detention facilities the US has around the world. And to think the US had the moral high ground to bitch about China and the old USSR and in fact shows they are no better. Guess he who hides his crimes best is the better one.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2006, 01:04 PM

I recommend that everyone ignore the posts and threads made by this disgusting individual (Athens) with the hateful signature.

Perhaps a worthwhile person could start a thread on this subject, without the US-Israel hate.

(Edit: It's not like the topic hasn't already been beaten to death...)
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
I recommend that everyone ignore the posts and threads made by this disgusting individual (Athens) with the hateful signature.

Perhaps a worthwhile person could start a thread on this subject, without the US-Israel hate.

(Edit: It's not like the topic hasn't already been beaten to death...)
I recommend you dont vote for Bush type leaders if you care about your countries image around the world.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Jul 28, 2006, 01:12 PM

If anyone knows about them then they're not secret now are they?

And who gives a **** what anyone else thinks?

Like hez-blow-allah and "Palestine" cared what the world though about kidnapping soilders.

Hippocrite.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2006, 01:14 PM

Ahh, I see he felt the pressure and changed his sig. Well, at least that's a little progress.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 01:21 PM

Ahh, I see he felt the pressure and changed his sig. Well, at least that's a little progress.
HA if you think I changed the sig from pressure your wrong. Thanks to the posts from Kerrigan, I have a new mission on the boards. But if you like I can put back the other sig if it makes you feel better.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sky Captain
If anyone knows about them then they're not secret now are they?

And who gives a **** what anyone else thinks?

Like hez-blow-allah and "Palestine" cared what the world though about kidnapping soilders.

Hippocrite.
Bingo who cares what every one else thinks so stop bitching about the world hating you guys.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 01:38 PM

Another anti-US thread. Do we need this much flamebait?

Time to grow up and stop this nonsense.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2006, 01:44 PM

Athens is to be ignored... He is under the assumption that ONLY the US is bad, and ONLY the idealistic world he imagines should exist. Reality has nothing to do with it. The people IN THOSE DETENTION CENTERS are just good people who are all innocent, much like all those who claim innocence while residing in our penal systems' fine abodes...

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 28, 2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Athens
I recommend you dont vote for Bush type leaders if you care about your countries image around the world.
Athens, the US had a "bad image" ever since it became a Super Power. I can remember the US being called the Great Satan back in the 80s.

It has LITTLE to do with who is president.

Your anti-US/Anti-Israel stance is one built on irrational thought processes.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2006, 01:55 PM

Athens is only repeating what the Democratic Party talking points tell him to.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Athens, the US had a "bad image" ever since it became a Super Power. I can remember the US being called the Great Satan back in the 80s.

It has LITTLE to do with who is president.

Your anti-US/Anti-Israel stance is one built on irrational thought processes.
I never had much of a issue with the US during the cliniton years. And polls around the world show that overal support for the US goes up and down and usally its tied to the leader.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2006, 02:02 PM

Support goes down, yet the begging for financial support goes up.
Go figure.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 02:05 PM

Go figure.
Can you show me this financial support to Itally, Spain, Holland, Canada, Britin, Germany, Japan, South Korea, France, (Israel gets lots wont argue that one)

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2006, 02:07 PM

Bingo who cares what every one else thinks so stop bitching about the world hating you guys.
"The World" doesn't hate the US, apparently it's isolated to certain individuals from the EU and Canada who are in a perpetual state of menstruation (along with the ME terrorists, of course).
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2006, 02:09 PM

Go figure.
Agreed, it's unreal how much money we've been sending to terrorists, such as the Palestinians.
- Thomas Paine

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 02:10 PM

you left out Asia and South America

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2006, 02:10 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html

Why does this not shock me at all. I really wonder how many secret detention facilities the US has around the world. And to think the US had the moral high ground to bitch about China and the old USSR and in fact shows they are no better. Guess he who hides his crimes best is the better one.
It's a shame really--because this is a valid topic, but your sig immediately announces your prejudice. Therefore, people focus on you and not the topic. This thread should not be about you. Of course you are free to have signature however you see fit, something probably not possible in say, an Islamist state.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2006, 02:15 PM

Can you show me this financial support to Itally, Spain, Holland, Canada, Britin, Germany, Japan, South Korea, France, (Israel gets lots wont argue that one)
The United States helped rebuild Europe and Japan after Word War II--I'm sure you've heard that before. We have a military presence in South Korea to protect them from North Korea. Canada is a trading partner.

As for the current era, none of the above mentioned countries is under constant threat like Israel is, hence the support. Also, Europe is generally healthy financially speaking, the U.S tends to help those countries that actually have financial need.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 02:18 PM

Or some might just decide it's time to grow up and stop with this nonsense.

Oh, and I don't care who 'started it'.

belfast-biker
Jul 28, 2006, 02:19 PM

On one hand, it is a silly distracting signature, on the other hand, there's many things that the US and Israel do that would definitely be consistent with some sort of war crimes.

Although, to make the sig a bit more accurate, throw Hizbollah, Hamas, Syria, and Iran into the equation on equal footing.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Or some might just decide it's time to grow up and stop with this nonsense.

Oh, and I don't care who 'started it'.
Thats funny that you say that because its your posts the have started most of the new round of bash each outher threads. I was content to focus on Israel when I came back until I ran into your posts.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2006, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by belfast-biker
On one hand, it is a silly distracting signature, on the other hand, there's many things that the US and Israel do that would definitely be consistent with some sort of war crimes.

Although, to make the sig a bit more accurate, throw Hizbollah, Hamas, Syria, and Iran into the equation on equal footing.
No, I was referring to the previous signature, the one showing an atomic bomb blast and asked for the destruction of Israel via nuclear weapons. He's recently changed it (within the last 2 hours) to something a bit more tasteful (although, it's still incorrect).
- Thomas Paine

belfast-biker
Jul 28, 2006, 02:32 PM

No, I was referring to the previous signature, the one showing an atomic bomb blast and asked for the destruction of Israel via nuclear weapons. He's recently changed it to something a bit more tasteful (although, it's still incorrect).

I do apologise - didn't see that original tacky sig.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 28, 2006, 05:19 PM

I never had much of a issue with the US during the cliniton years. And polls around the world show that overal support for the US goes up and down and usally its tied to the leader.
YOU didn't. Again, America has had this "image" since I can remember.
Its petty silliness.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 05:23 PM

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 05:36 PM

secret prisons...pfft...

there is a cop who once used the N word!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2006, 07:15 PM

If caring about my country's image around the world consists of worrying incessantly about how the U.N. perceives our actions, then I couldn't care any less. The U.N. is strongly anti-U.S. and anti-Israel, and it's become progressively worse (pun intended) as time has gone by. I'd like to see them get along without U.S. funding and support.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2006, 08:40 PM

I'd like to see the UN disbanded.
They're as useless as the League of Nations.
Remember that fiasco?

UN=Leauge of Nations

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 11:14 PM

now how did this turn into rants about the UN lol

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2006, 11:21 PM

Let's start with the US military. It's what allows those countries you listed to *freeload* their security from America - while spending practically nothing on their own defense.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2006, 08:50 AM

now how did this turn into rants about the UN lol
GENEVA, Switzerland (AP) -- The U.S. should immediately shut down any secret detention facilities and grant prompt access to the Red Cross to any person detained in connection with an armed conflict, a U.N. rights panel said in a report released Friday.
I'll refrain from being insulting.

But you started it.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2006, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
Let's start with the US military. It's what allows those countries you listed to *freeload* their security from America - while spending practically nothing on their own defense.

oh here we go again *eyes roll* your military is doing a piss poor job at defending the US ( World Trade Centers) and didn't do jack **** for the spain train bombings or the bombings in London. And your "military" cant even beat a bunch of useless insuragants in Iraq. So I would get off your high horse and come back down to earth. The only real threat in the world is China's army and the US Army wouldnt stand a chance against China's so really what are you trying to say again, oh I remeber now it was something lame.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2006, 01:27 PM

oh here we go again *eyes roll* your military is doing a piss poor job at defending the US ( World Trade Centers) and didn't do jack **** for the spain train bombings or the bombings in London. And your "military" cant even beat a bunch of useless insuragants in Iraq. So I would get off your high horse and come back down to earth. The only real threat in the world is China's army and the US Army wouldnt stand a chance against China's so really what are you trying to say again, oh I remeber now it was something lame.
Ummm...... You don't understand. FIRST, the intelligence folks have to find out about the stuff so the military can do somthing about it.

You forget about them just like the liberal politicians during the clinton admin who cut the budget to them and placed walls between them to make connecting the dots harder.

I guess when you don't have a clue how it works you post nonsense like that.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
Ummm...... You don't understand. FIRST, the intelligence folks have to find out about the stuff so the military can do somthing about it.

You forget about them just like the liberal politicians during the clinton admin who cut the budget to them and placed walls between them to make connecting the dots harder.

I guess when you don't have a clue how it works you post nonsense like that.
the only nonsense is that crap that the US Military is protecting the entire free world. Sorry it aint. Its only protecting American interests only.

Forum Links
Forum Rules