Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Are those new Mac vs PC ads doing more harm than good

Are those new Mac vs PC ads doing more harm than good (Page 2)
CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 02:58 PM

Effective ads do nothing more than inplant a message a company wishes to convey into people's brains- the more brains the merrier, and the nature of the content that most effectively implants the message hardly matters. The more brains the message reaches, the greater the sales will be. The basic message of this ad is that Apple is hip enough to get personalities people recognize to hype it, and that will drill itself into the brain of even the staunchest 'Mac hater' to some degree. It will translate to sales in thousands of people that just need that much of a 'trigger' be pulled to give them the greenlight to buy a Mac.

So when people talk about ads, over analyze them, are outraged/delighted/fixeated/horrified, or whatever by them- they merely help spread the message. The company couldn't care less if you get the core message via someone's "here look at this outrageous ad..." critique, or from watching the broadcast ad with your own eyeballs/brain.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2006, 03:06 PM

Nicely stated.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2006, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by goldenhorse
As many of you I've been seeing way too much of those new mac vs pc ads lately and to be honest I can't understand the upside to them. I know the people in them aren't literal, but the message they give off is if you're this kind of person get a mac and if you don't you're a dork etc.

I'm not a fan of negative ads used by politicians and the same applies here (albeit more humorously). I think in the end these types of ads do more harm than good. They make mac users embaressed to be seen in public with their machines (who wants to look like a stereotype) and piss off or alienate potential switchers.

Hasn't apple heard of "geek chic"? The guy with glasses (also beloved from The Daily Show) is cooler than Justin Long. Maybe they should have gotten Napoleon Dynamite to portray the Mac side.

In the end I feel these ads are just gonna get on peoples nerves more than anything else (both winows and apple users). Why don't they show off osx in their tv ads instead... they've never done that and it seems like a better move to me.

Cool is in the eye of the beholder and in this case I think they have dropped the ball.

Just my opinion.
they are starting to get on my nerves... kinda like that geeky dell dude did before he was dropped by dell. i think now that they have gotten some traction, they should switch ... something more elegant and hi-tech.

Forum Links
Forum Rules