Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Closed Video Network

Closed Video Network
burobaaje
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2006, 11:01 AM

Need some ideas on how to set up a closed wireless network to send video from one location to another. Will have video camera taking live video in auditorium and want to send that video live to a kitchen area about 200 feet away. I understand wireless routers as I have a home network and I can capture live video using iMovie, but how to put it live on a network??

Hope this makes sense. I know there are tranmitters and receivers (X10) made just for this type of application, but the range is usually not as good as I could achieve using linksys routers and boosters.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 05:43 PM

i can't think of a way to use a camera to trasmit a wireless signal without involving a computer. There are wireless IP cameras out there, if you can get one of those.

burobaaje  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post
i can't think of a way to use a camera to trasmit a wireless signal without involving a computer. There are wireless IP cameras out there, if you can get one of those.
I plan to use a mac to capture video from video camera and that mac will have a router and the receiving end will no doubt be a computer with wireless card or router. I don't know how to stream the video from the mac to the wireless network.

rjt1000
Senior User
Nov 19, 2006, 10:40 AM

I am pretty sure you can do this with VLC (streaming the video between computers on your LAN) but I havent done this myself and can't give you the details you need.

I would suggest posting in the Digital video and audio forum where I bet you will find someone who can walk you through it.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2006, 12:13 PM

To the best of my knowledge, a relatively expensive camera is needed for more than just JPEGs to be captured. I could be quite wrong. You might consider one with Video outputs, although that ain't much better than just buying a regular camera.

nerd
Senior User
Nov 19, 2006, 08:54 PM

Get a composite to firewire converter and use Quicktime Broadcaster. Use the Manual Unicast setting in Broadcaster. Once you start broadcasting, export the .sdp file and open that file with Quicktime on the remote computer.

Edit:

This is assuming your video source is composite video.

rjt1000
Senior User
Nov 20, 2006, 10:20 AM

burobaaje  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 10:24 AM

Thanks to all, I'm learning!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 28, 2006, 03:48 PM

Just search the web. They make cameras with built-in web servers and streaming video servers that connect via Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

tooki

smileydub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2006, 12:47 PM

The IP Camera, also known as Network Camera, has a built-in CPU and web browser. You need a computer to link the cam to your router by configuring the IP address. After that, you can shut down your computer, and any other computer can access what that cam sees from anywhere in the world by just typing in the URL or your IP address. Example watch New York Times Square live:

EarthCam - Times Square Cams

PROBLEM is majority of these cams priced for consumers, i.e. non-indutrial versions, say under $400, cannot be viewed with Macs, mostly only with Windows computers. The very few that can be viewed with Macs can only be installed with Windows first, and then you can access/view the cam with Macs, Linux, etc.

I have used two cams that must be configured/installed with Windows, but after that can be viewed with my iBook:

1. D-Link cam -read happy Mac user Jeff:
Amazon.com: D-Link DCS-900 10/100TX Internet Camera, Home Security: Electronics

2. Panasonic - happy Mac user James:
Amazon.com: Panasonic Remote Video Monitoring Webcam (BL-C10A): Electronics

CAUTION: These cams are not easy to install and configure as you will read in all the user reviews. Suggest you start by broadcasting the live cam over LAN, which means any computer within range of your router can access it. To broadcast on the internet, you need to know how to do Port Forwarding.
A good source of reviews:
IP Cameras

Good luck.

JMR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2006, 10:14 AM

FYI:

You could use an IP-based camera that trasmit your video signal to your computer in a digital maner.

Look at this:
Security Cameras - Infrared door access cameras hidden

When you obtain your desired cameras, you can contact Jean Paul at EdulandShop for support on how to install these.

Regards,

Julian
EdulandShop.com

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 17, 2006, 12:09 PM

JMR, if your post had not been exactly and precisely on topic, I'd have called it spam. Thanks for your input, but please be very careful in your advocacy of your shop's products-your help is appreciated, but don't slip into "spam mode."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules