Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Any news on more X1900 support in Mac Pro?

Any news on more X1900 support in Mac Pro?
macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 04:54 PM

They still haven't released a ROM/Firmware update for the X1900 that eliminates tearing in games that use the Doom 3 engine.

Also, they still haven't released ATI displays compatible with Intel computers or the X1900.

What are they waiting for?

Just to make sure, here is the info on my video card from System Profiler:

Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-A52027-140
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.140

Unless i'm mistaken these are the latest numbers as of today. Any news on future support?

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 05:49 PM

Typically the ATI Displays app is released with support for retail cards, of which there have been none so far for Intel Macs, only OEM ones.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

derekn
Senior User
Dec 13, 2006, 05:53 PM

The first bit will probably be something that Apple and Aspyr will have to work on together, combination of a game update and changes to the OpenGL and X1900 drivers. Given how all the development is focusing on Leopard, we may have to wait for that but we could see the fixes in a Tiger update but I wouldn't really hold my breath. Fun being an early adopter isn't it?

Second bit... I'd honestly say forget seeing ATI displays unless it's hacked. Previously, ATi only released it for the retail cards and OEM cards were left out. It will probably be the same with the X1900.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by derekn View Post
The first bit will probably be something that Apple and Aspyr will have to work on together, combination of a game update and changes to the OpenGL and X1900 drivers. Given how all the development is focusing on Leopard, we may have to wait for that but we could see the fixes in a Tiger update but I wouldn't really hold my breath. Fun being an early adopter isn't it?

Second bit... I'd honestly say forget seeing ATI displays unless it's hacked. Previously, ATi only released it for the retail cards and OEM cards were left out. It will probably be the same with the X1900.
Yeah it is fun being an early adopter. First you get to brag about your "over the top" equipment that isn't compatible with the old stuff, and then you get to weep about your equipment that is somewhere in the middle between not being compatible with the old stuff nor with the new stuff... lol.

The thing is i've had this urge to play Doom 3 again. Just play it, all the way through. (It'll be the 8th time for me, and I haven't played it in a few months).

It's just it has the Vsync issue...

derekn
Senior User
Dec 13, 2006, 06:12 PM

Just play it and get the UB update, it has mutlithreaded OpenGL.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 06:26 PM

Just play it and get the UB update, it has mutlithreaded OpenGL.
I have the UB update installed already. I don't know what multithreaded OpenGL is, but it still has a vsync issue.

Xyrrus
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
They still haven't released a ROM/Firmware update for the X1900 that eliminates tearing in games that use the Doom 3 engine.

Also, they still haven't released ATI displays compatible with Intel computers or the X1900.

What are they waiting for?

Just to make sure, here is the info on my video card from System Profiler:

Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-A52027-140
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.140

Unless i'm mistaken these are the latest numbers as of today. Any news on future support?
You say its a Vsync issue - can you disable the vsynch in the doom 3 preferences or the console? I haven't read anything about this anywhere - do you have a link to a forum or whatever where the problem is discussed? I'm assuming it doesn't show up under Boot Camp?

-Xy
MacPro (2.66, 4GB, 4x250GB, X1900+7300, 2x Dell 2005fpw, Samsung LNT4061)
MacBook Pro (2.2, 2GB, 120GB)

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Xyrrus View Post
You say its a Vsync issue - can you disable the vsynch in the doom 3 preferences or the console? I haven't read anything about this anywhere - do you have a link to a forum or whatever where the problem is discussed? I'm assuming it doesn't show up under Boot Camp?

-Xy
The issue is that Vsync doesn't work. That's all. On or off, it doesn't make a different, there is always slight horizontal tearing.

derekn
Senior User
Dec 13, 2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
I have the UB update installed already. I don't know what multithreaded OpenGL is, but it still has a vsync issue.
The recent WoW update had multithreaded OpenGL, you could get up to a 100% performance increase depending on settings and system configuration. Any questions?

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 10:23 PM

The recent WoW update had multithreaded OpenGL, you could get up to a 100% performance increase depending on settings and system configuration. Any questions?
Not about those things. I have the UB patch installed, and the game runs great. But nothing so far has fixed the vsync issue. I might just start the game in spite of it...

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2006, 10:39 PM

Where have you been. The display panel supports all retail and OEM cards except for recent ones like the X1900XT OEM. It'll likely support the X1900XT OEM once there are a couple new retail cards.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

derekn
Senior User
Dec 14, 2006, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Where have you been. The display panel supports all retail and OEM cards except for recent ones like the X1900XT OEM. It'll likely support the X1900XT OEM once there are a couple new retail cards.
Under a rock, where do you think?

ViktoriaHi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2006, 06:12 AM

Hi all!
Explain,i shall be in Paris,hetel prompt

Thanks

G'night

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2006, 08:33 AM

That sucks. I suspected support for this card would be poor.

I really hope MWSF 2007 brings the MacPros a new choice of top end GPU (8800 GTS perhaps?). But then again, Apple seems to hate good GPUs (and good RAID support - gah).
To be determined later.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2006, 10:38 AM

Looks like I was right according to this guy's thread http://forums.macnn.com/65/power-mac...orking-my-mac/

He reports that ATI has created a new universal binary ATI Displays Panel.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules