Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Using MacPro Dual Ethernet as a Switch

Using MacPro Dual Ethernet as a Switch
Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2006, 10:09 PM

(I'm not certain if this should go in the networking forum or here. I'm inclined to think it is more of an issue with the MacPro.)

I would like to use the two ethernet ports on my MacPro as a switch to get internet access on the MacPro and another device plugged into the MacPro. Previously both the MacPro and this device were plugged into a switch that was connected to a router and both devices worked fine.

My Setup:
I have a patch cable going from a router into MacPro ethernet port 2, then a patch cable going from ethernet port 1 into the other device. Under System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet I turned on "Share your connection from Built-in Ethernet 2" and checked "Built-in Ethernet 1" from the list.

For those who like pretty diagrams it looks something like:

Internet access works on the MacPro but not on the other device connected; in fact the other device does not even acquire an IP. Firewall settings are off, and I have tried connecting the MacPro to the other device via a crossover cable to see if that changed anything (it didn't).

I'm not particularlly good with networking, but it seems like a setup this simple should just work.
What else should I do to get the MacPro to operate as a switch?
To be determined later.

Naaaaak  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2006, 03:33 AM

It appears the problem is more complicated than it seems. From Apple - Support - Discussions - Use 2nd ethernet port as hub to access ... it appears I would have to screw with the routing tables. Unfortunate.
To be determined later.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 27, 2006, 11:58 AM

What's the purpose behind going from using purpose-built hardware to share your connection to using your rather expensive computer to do this-all the while reducing (maybe not much) the computing ability of the computer because it has to handle other stuff?

I really don't know what your aim here is, can you explain?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Naaaaak  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2006, 01:46 PM

I forgot to bring my switch with me before I left for break.
To be determined later.

Forum Links
Forum Rules