Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Any info/rumors of 8800 for Mac Pro ?

Any info/rumors of 8800 for Mac Pro ?
Malus72
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2007, 05:11 PM

Windows and Mac user here -

Close to pulling the trigger on switching from my Dell XPS 1210 to a Macbook Pro for my main laptop (was hoping for a bit more powerful graphics card in the Pro soon also but not a huge deal) -

I work in the IT industry and it's a must to have a laptop that can push XP/Vista fast enough but dual booting would be fine with me -

I really like our 24" Imac we have at home also -

Even though I can build over the top gaming machines for myself much cheaper than buying one I would really like to have a Mac Pro for my main machine at home and wouldn't mind paying a bit more but the one thing holding me back still is the video card -

I have a Dell 30" and run everything at 2560x1600 with graphics options max'd out on games - there really isn't any other card out there currently that can consistently push that resolution in games without worry of a slowdown at all -

If the option for a Mac version of an 8800gtx comes out in the future this would allow me to dual boot it as my main/gaming machine and this is what I would really like -

Just wondered if anyone had heard any rumors of this (or the R600/ATI) being introduced for the Mac - this year even ?

Xyrrus
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2007, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Malus72 View Post
Windows and Mac user here -

Close to pulling the trigger on switching from my Dell XPS 1210 to a Macbook Pro for my main laptop (was hoping for a bit more powerful graphics card in the Pro soon also but not a huge deal) -

I work in the IT industry and it's a must to have a laptop that can push XP/Vista fast enough but dual booting would be fine with me -

I really like our 24" Imac we have at home also -

Even though I can build over the top gaming machines for myself much cheaper than buying one I would really like to have a Mac Pro for my main machine at home and wouldn't mind paying a bit more but the one thing holding me back still is the video card -

I have a Dell 30" and run everything at 2560x1600 with graphics options max'd out on games - there really isn't any other card out there currently that can consistently push that resolution in games without worry of a slowdown at all -

If the option for a Mac version of an 8800gtx comes out in the future this would allow me to dual boot it as my main/gaming machine and this is what I would really like -

Just wondered if anyone had heard any rumors of this (or the R600/ATI) being introduced for the Mac - this year even ?
I'm waiting for either of the DX10 cards to hit the mac, even given the premium I'm sure we'll have to pay. My money is that apple is going to pass on the 8800 and go for the R600, instead. Its sort of sad because I'm basically ready to pay whatever the premium is going to be on the mac version of these cards.

-Xy
MacPro (2.66, 4GB, 4x250GB, X1900+7300, 2x Dell 2005fpw, Samsung LNT4061)
MacBook Pro (2.2, 2GB, 120GB)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2007, 07:44 PM

Both the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro should have updates in the near future.

The MacBook Pro will move to the new Centrino platform (code name Santa Rosa) shortly after it's released on May 8th. Probably a new video card to go along with the update.

The Mac Pro is overdue for a refresh (adding one new CPU option doesn't count); I'd guess they're either waiting for R600 to launch or they're having trouble with drivers for the 8800 (with the new unified shader environment). Either way I expect they'll refresh with a high-end gamer video card in the next couple months.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2007, 07:53 PM

The MacBook Pro will be cool because you could run XP and Vista simultaneously on top of OS X for whatever testing you need to do.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Malus72  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2007, 08:29 PM

Really hoping so anyway - I just know I like the 8800gtx in my current rig but if they go the R600 route and it performs well at high res that will be fine with me too -

That combo might finally have me going completely Mac (dual booting) hardware wise -

I really like the style of the mac machines and it would be worth the premium for me I think to even have it on my home gaming/dev/work machine also -

The only thing that has been holding me back from making the hardware jump completely is the lagging behind in the video card dept
( Last edited by Malus72; Apr 23, 2007 at 08:30 PM. Reason: misc)

Xyrrus
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2007, 01:53 PM

Its looking like May 14th for the R600. Hopefully Apple is going to pick it up. Looks to be a solid performer.

AMD Radeon HD2900XT specs leaked on web

-Xy
MacPro (2.66, 4GB, 4x250GB, X1900+7300, 2x Dell 2005fpw, Samsung LNT4061)
MacBook Pro (2.2, 2GB, 120GB)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2007, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Xyrrus View Post
Its looking like May 14th for the R600. Hopefully Apple is going to pick it up. Looks to be a solid performer.

AMD Radeon HD2900XT specs leaked on web
The first HD2900XT benchmarks show it barely edging out the 8800GTS; the GTX should remain in the lead.

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2007, 05:30 PM

I'd like to stick with nVidia but want something fast that doesn't consume hundreds of watts of power, generate lots of heat, and take up more than one slot. Oh, and it needs to support DX10 for no reason righ now, but just in case I need it in the future...

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2007, 09:41 PM

What Mark Duell said.

-Allen Wicks

nationwide
Apr 27, 2007, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
I'd like to stick with nVidia but want something fast that doesn't consume hundreds of watts of power, generate lots of heat, and take up more than one slot. Oh, and it needs to support DX10 for no reason righ now, but just in case I need it in the future...
if you have a mac pro, it doesn't matter if a graphics card takes up 2 slots, if installed in the first slot( which has spacing to allow for the extra room a card may take up) it will not block any of the 3 remaining slots.

nationwide
Apr 27, 2007, 09:17 PM

i'm assuming that the link above for the HD2900XT is for the windows version since i did not read anything saying a mac version will also be available. does anyone know for sure if this is going to be the next high-end card for the mac pro? or is this just speculation?

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2007, 09:31 PM

I am in the same boat as you. I need a gaming and editing machine in one. The DX10 cards will probably release around WWDC.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2007, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by nationwide View Post
or is this just speculation?
Duh. It's speculation of course. Noone except Apple and ATI wouuld know for sure.

If you want news not speculation then read MacWorld or MacNN news (not the forum).
( Last edited by Leonard; Apr 30, 2007 at 05:00 PM. )
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

P
Apr 29, 2007, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The first HD2900XT benchmarks show it barely edging out the 8800GTS; the GTX should remain in the lead.
True, but isn't the HD2900XT supposed to match the GTS, with an XTX model to be on the same level as the GTX?

Personally I suspect that ATi is going to clock it high enough that they squeeze out a small lead in performance and damn the cooling and power reqs.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
True, but isn't the HD2900XT supposed to match the GTS, with an XTX model to be on the same level as the GTX?

Personally I suspect that ATi is going to clock it high enough that they squeeze out a small lead in performance and damn the cooling and power reqs.
Yes, but the gap between the 2900XT and XTX seems to be smaller than the gap between the 8800GTS and GTX.

See here for the 8800GTX beating the 2900XTX by 30-50% faster.

But Apple has a habit of taking the card one down from the top (6800GT instead of Ultra, 1900XT instead of XTX, etc), so maybe we'll see the 8800GTS or 2900XT instead of the GTS/XTX anyway.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
But Apple has a habit of taking the card one down from the top (6800GT instead of Ultra, 1900XT instead of XTX, etc), so maybe we'll see the 8800GTS or 2900XT instead of the GTS/XTX anyway.
Apple did take the 6800 Ultra, but Nvidia couldn't produce it in enough volume to meet demand so Apple went down to the 6800 GT. That wasn't Apple's fault.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Malus72  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2007, 06:52 PM

The more I read about the R600 , the more I hope that Apple goes for the 8800 line -

And soon - trying to hold off building another high end gaming PC and just going the Mac Pro route

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Apple did take the 6800 Ultra, but Nvidia couldn't produce it in enough volume to meet demand so Apple went down to the 6800 GT. That wasn't Apple's fault.
Certainly, timely volume is a huge part of it; as is price: the next-down-from-the-top chip is usually 50% the price for 80% the performance.

utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2007, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Malus72 View Post
The more I read about the R600 , the more I hope that Apple goes for the 8800 line -

And soon - trying to hold off building another high end gaming PC and just going the Mac Pro route
Same here, what I don't understand is why Apple does not pickup the hint / demands .. so many people would rather pay more money but getting a Mac instead of building a "normal" PC ..
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 08:16 AM

Why don't you just start a company that produced video cards for the mac. Nvidia doesn't do direct sales at all and ATi doesn't really want too. Hire a EFI guy (OpenFirmware too if you can). Then take the reference board designs, slap the new bios firware on them and instant cash.

utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2007, 08:20 AM

Sure .. no problem .. I'll start in a minute ...
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2007, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by nationwide View Post
if you have a mac pro, it doesn't matter if a graphics card takes up 2 slots, if installed in the first slot( which has spacing to allow for the extra room a card may take up) it will not block any of the 3 remaining slots.
Didn't know that. Thanks. I still would like an efficient video card (if there is such as thing) that doesn't use 400W of power or generate a lot of heat. The heat thing is my only real concern.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Didn't know that. Thanks. I still would like an efficient video card (if there is such as thing) that doesn't use 400W of power or generate a lot of heat. The heat thing is my only real concern.
Then buy a 7300GT.

You can have 2 of: fast, cheap, low-power. Everyone is going with cheap/low-power or fast/cheap. People just aren't willing to blow $2000 for a fast and low-power card.

Forum Links
Forum Rules