Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > CRTs That Do 1600x1200 w High Refresh

CRTs That Do 1600x1200 w High Refresh
Agent69
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 08:24 AM

I am looking for a 20 to 22 inch CRT that supports 1600x1200 at a high refresh rate, preferrably around 85hz. Can anyone recommend such a monitor?

Thanks.

NOTE: I prefer CRTs to LCDs; please don't suggest an LCD screen.
Agent69

joe
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by Agent69:
I am looking for a 20 to 22 inch CRT that supports 1600x1200 at a high refresh rate, preferrably around 85hz. Can anyone recommend such a monitor?

Thanks.

NOTE: I prefer CRTs to LCDs; please don't suggest an LCD screen.

Ditto! Higher quality CRTs still have advantages I recently bought a new Iiyama Pro 454 which does 104Hz at 1600*1200. It's a 19" monitor. But Iiyama offers a higher spec 22" monitor called the Pro 513. It has an even higher refresh: 1600*1200 @ 113Hz. And up to 2048*1536 @ 88Hz. They offer 3 different 22" models in case you want one without the built in speakers and 4 port USB hub (powered).

My Pro 454 had a built in color match profile that auto-loaded in OSX. Ditto for the supported resolutions. The speakers are so-so. Good enough for voice and maybe LAN parties - though the built-in headphone jack is probably a better idea for the latter. The Pro 454 had an excellent write up in Tom's hardware - one of the top picks in a 10 model comparison. Most of the 22" models are even higher spec than the Pro454 so they're definitely worth checking into. Good luck whichever you decide........joe

EDIT - forgot to add that these monitors (Pro454, Pro513) have dual VGA inputs. Very convenient if you have both a desktop Mac and a notebook.

Footy
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 07:12 PM

Well I can tell you you won't find one at any of the computer retail stores currently. I just got a new monitor and really wanted a CRT. Everywhere I went only had a hand full of CRT screen and they were all pretty much crap. Yeah I could of ordered one over the internet but I needed a new monitor FAST. Yeah I went with the LCD and I'm liking it now. Very crisp picture.

Good luck Agent 69.

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 07:41 PM

I forgot one huge downside to ordering CRT's online. Shipping. Expect to pay nearly $100 to ship anything 21" or larger. Unless you catch a store with a free shipping sale. Gone are the hey days of eCommerce, when shipping was always free. (Ahhh, late 90's.....)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 21, 2003, 11:39 PM

I think Mitsubishi's displays are a great balance between cost and quality (that is, they're great in both respects).

Try the 22" Diamond Pro 2070SB. It says it does 1600x1200@85Hz for about $700.

tooki

Agent69  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 07:17 AM

Tooki,

I just noticed that Apple sells that monitor on their website. Since I am looking at purchasing a new Mac, I might order it from them since I could get free shipping.

Thanks.
Agent69

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 12:02 PM

Lacie's Electron Blue 19" has 1600x1200@87hz ($400). The 22" does 1600x1200@109hz ($729). I believe these use the Mitsu tube.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10037
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 12:07 PM

I second the NEC/Mitsubishi 2070SB recommendation. It uses a Trinitron tube.

I have a Diamond Pro 2060u here and it's a great monitor. Text is clear and sharp across the entire screen and brightness/contrast is great. The addition of the super bright feature would only make it better.

Stephane
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 04:42 PM

I am nearly sure La Cie 19" use Nec/Mitsu tube.
On a side note I read from graphic professionnals the 19" was at its best using 1280X1024 instead of officially optimal 1600x1200 at 85khz. Same thing for La Cie.
I think this is not true for the 22" though which seems to be able to go up 1600X1200 with a good quality image.
St�phane

Stephane
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 04:46 PM

aren't the NEC using Diamondtron tehcnology instead of Trinitron ?

Oh, and I read the Illyama had good quality but sometimes failed because Illyama pushed the electronics to its limits while NEC and La Cie have a better record of reliability on the long run.
St�phane

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 22, 2003, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by rhogue islander:
I second the NEC/Mitsubishi 2070SB recommendation. It uses a Trinitron tube.
No it doesn't!! Perhaps you missed the "Diamontron" labelling all over the monitor, its box, the sales brochures, website, etc?

I actually prefer the Diamondtron tubes to the Sony Trinitron tubes, by the way. Add to that the fact that the Diamondtrons are cheaper.

tooki

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 10:44 PM

All Diamondtron tubes are Trinitron tubes.

Sony makes the tubes and supplies them to other manufacturers. When Trinitron tubes are used in NEC/Mitsubishi products they are called Diamondtrons. In other manufacturers' products they are sometimes simply referred to as 'aperture grill' crt's. Sony reserves the Trinitron name for with their own line of CRT's.

The signature characteristic of all Trinitron based tubes are the two faint horizontal lines near the top and bottom of the screen. These support the aperture grill.

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure I'm right on this.

Yose
Senior User
Oct 23, 2003, 05:00 AM

I don't believe you are, it's my understanding the patent ran out on the Triniton (Trinitron technology for TV and VDU screens) and the *tron tubes made by Mitsubishi and it's ilk are genuine and not rebranded trinitrons.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2003, 09:24 AM

I may well be wrong, but several reviews have led me to believe this is true. The following is an excerpt from just such an article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/display/20020805/

With its 22" DiamondTron NF tube, the Diamond Pro 2060u is, along with the Sony G520, the other heavyweight in the test. DiamondTron technology is based on the Sony Trinitron, the main difference being that the Sony uses three electron guns for the basic RGB colors and Mitsubishi only uses one. There are still the two horizontal gray wires across the screen to hold the grill in place.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 23, 2003, 10:22 AM

You just disproved your point: Diamondtron tubes are BASED on Trinitron technology (this was never in dispute). However, it's my understanding that Diamondtron is an improvement upon the Trinitron design, not a cheapy imitation (as that article implies). That article is clearly incorrect, as it's impossible to have a color CRT with just one electron gun -- you need one per primary color (RGB). The difference (presumably what tomshardware was thinking of) is that the Diamondtrons use extra magnetic lenses. There's also some difference in the guns themselves, but I haven't been able to find any info on it (I read about it years ago).

tooki

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2003, 11:11 AM

I don't think the article implies that Diamondtrons are cheap imitations, only that they are close relations. The article goes on to give the 2060u the highest rating among the monitors surveyed.

There's certainly nothing 'cheap' about the image quality I get on my 2060u, which is why I recommended the 2070 in the first place.

I cannot prove or disprove that Sony made the Diamondtron tubes for Nec/Mitsubishi, much as Hitachi used to do for many other manufacturers. You are correct in pointing out that they are not the same, although they do share some design features.

I concede.

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Oct 23, 2003, 05:37 PM

I've been following the debate on the Sony Trinitron vs. Mitsubishi Diamondtron - am curious myself as I've got a 17" NEC-Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 740SB and have been thinking about getting a 19" CRT. Most reviews I've come across have rated the Iiyama Pro 454, but (like Tooki) I do like NEC-Mitsubushi range. Interesting to note that the Iiyama uses a Diamondtron tube - as do other manufacturers.

It seems that the Sony patent on the Trinitron technology expired, and that Mitsubishi (amongst others) developed their own versions once it had done so.

Link 1.

Link 2.

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2003, 10:57 PM

I stand corrected.

Thanks for clearing that up!

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2003, 05:22 PM

I use a ViewSonic PT813 that does 85 Hz at 1600x1200. It's a few years old, but if you ever saw a used one anywhere, they are a nice monitor. I'll just say it uses apeture grille technology to avoid the squabbling over Trinitron and Diamondtron.

Forum Links
Forum Rules