Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Rapture is coming! "I'm so excited" "I want to do cartwheels"

The Rapture is coming! "I'm so excited" "I want to do cartwheels" (Page 4)
Robert A.M. Stephens
Jul 24, 2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
So you are saying that the shelves and shelves of theology books at my house along with all of the pastors, theologians, and speakers I've heard talk are all wrong? Last I heard there wasn't a definite consensus about either of these issues. And I prefer the Greek New Testament over the NKJ.
You are correct in conjecture. Again, the original King James from the tablets of Antioch ( where all 'Bibles' orignate from). My claim or offer is from the text of the original King James. I wrestled with this for so long--34 years now and it is a joy to behold. Too, it is all what your conviction is. Romans 1 is excellent addressment of your retort, which is rhetorical, but good. I gave up 30 eyars ago and went to Hebrew U in Jesualem ans got the striaght data up to Malachai 4 (end of the old testament) and then onward in 1979 to Athens to scholars in Greek. I kept everything secular, as a control point, and then assessed from there. I then offered what I was reading and at all points got confirmed I was the Scripure data correctly. Very fun.

I chose only the Bible languages since they are rastered (can only add too, not take away), verses vectored languages, like English (can add and take away words--39,000 new words since 1900).

I do not reference theology books. I am illiterate in that area totally. Sorry.

Good response-btw.

Robert
Have Jeep, Have Mac, Have Heart, Will Travel

Robert A.M. Stephens
Jul 24, 2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
A few years ago I went to an exhibit at the main branch of the New York public library. On display were several versions of the bible that existed before the King James version. There were also selected verses taken from each version and the wording has changed considerably over the years. How anyone can claim that the King James version is more or less the most "accurate" is beyond me. In addition, the books that appear in the King James version were decided on by a council of men-not God, many years ago.
Correct, to a degree. At some point, since it is belief verses hard data, thus a measure of faith results. And thus, here we are, the debate of ages. But it is enlightening and fun none the less, as long as no one goes to war over it.

Robert

Robert A.M. Stephens
Jul 24, 2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
But, then you have to deal with the jumbled nightmare that is the Textus Receptus, and it's glaring inaccuracies, some of which are simple translation errors, and others which are blatant omission and fabrication.

http://www.bibletexts.com/kjv-tr.htm

"Truly major differences between the KJV and modern translations of the New Testament are primarily due to the inaccuracy of the so-called Textus Receptus [TR], the Greek text upon which the KJV's New Testament was based. According to Bruce Metzger (The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption, and Restoration, Third Edition, Oxford University Press, 1992, pages 95-118), the TR primarily resulted from the work of a Dutch Roman Catholic priest and Greek scholar by the name of Desiderius Erasmus, who published his first Greek New Testament text in 1516. The first edition of Erasmus' text was hastily and haphazardly prepared over the extremely short period of only five months. (ibid., page 106) That edition was based mostly upon two inferior twelfth century Greek manuscripts, which were the only manuscripts available to Erasmus "on the spur of the moment" (ibid., page 99)."

"Erasmus himself said in a letter in Latin in 1516 that this first edition had been "praecipitatum verius quam editum," -- more precipitated than edited."

and further...

"The TR was used as the basis for the KJV and all the principal Protestant translations in the languages of Europe until 1881, when the Revised Version [RV] was first published in England. The KJV translators most directly relied upon the 1598 Greek text by the Theodore de Beze of Geneva, but it also was virtually identical with Stephanus' 1550 and 1551 Greek texts, which were virtually identical with Erasmus' 1535 Greek text. Again, these all were noble efforts, but the editors of these editions did not have access to the current wealth of ancient documents and to today's more scientific knowledge of how those documents had been transmitted and partially corrupted over many centuries.

Due to the errors in the Hebrew and Greek texts from which the KJV were translated, the KJV contains some texts that are not consistent with Jesus' genuine teachings and other genuine New Testament teachings, as represented in the earliest Greek texts of the New Testament."

Being absolutlely objective, you are correct.

Robert

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 25, 2006, 06:52 AM

AFAIK even the best religious scholars haven't come to a consensus about both predestination and the 'rapture,' so if I were you, I wouldn't go around to internet forums and flaunt my Christian theology as the only true and correct one.
But armchair forum members know it all Gossamer.

Again just another one of those "One day we will know" things

I am not worried about it.

Landos Mustache  (op)
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 25, 2006, 10:18 AM

Perhaps if you guys posted Bible passages it would be definitive proof.

"Hello, what have we here?

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2006, 10:53 AM

here's the thing...next week we will all be sick of the middle east conflict and will return to our regular broadcast...

the conflict will fizzle out...enoght already with people leaving the area...

Monique
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2006, 01:56 PM

Again the rapture comedy hour. It is not going to happen so start being a descent person because that is the thing to do.

Since I am a Jew I guess I am automatically going to hell or fall in a dark hole. So funny.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
Again the rapture comedy hour. It is not going to happen so start being a descent person because that is the thing to do.

Since I am a Jew I guess I am automatically going to hell or fall in a dark hole. So funny.
But only a decent person by your definition of what a decent person should be. The problem is that you aren't a decent person by your very definition of decency.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2006, 02:28 PM

lighten up goss gees

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee
lighten up goss gees
Sorry if I was harsh. I'm just tired of Monique preaching tolerance at us when she utterly fails to practice it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2006, 02:44 PM

Sorry if I was harsh. I'm just tired of Monique preaching tolerance at us when she utterly fails to practice it.
Just try to love her.

Landos Mustache  (op)
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 25, 2006, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
Just try to love her.

Lets all take turns loving her

"Hello, what have we here?

Forum Links
Forum Rules