Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Which SD HC card reader is best?

Which SD HC card reader is best?
NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2006, 12:46 PM

Hi Folks,

I'm getting a new digital camera and the camera uses SD HC cards. I have done a little research and can't seem to find a good card reader that will move data efficiently to/from the SD card. I will be using this with my 15" C2D. The card capacity I use will be 4GB.

I realize the HC stuff is not really a standard. I am looking for either a USB 2.0 or PCMCIA card reader that can read an SD HC card readily, and will work with OS X (there have been reports on photo forums of some USB 2.0 readers causing crashes).

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.

Voltaire

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 15, 2006, 05:37 PM

"SD HC?" I have found that SD card readers are pretty much like most other electronics; avoid "Bob's Card Reader and Storm Door Company" products, and you'll do fine. I have a SanDisk reader that handles standard SD and MMC cards that I got for I think $12. It's great.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

NewOldbie  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2006, 11:43 AM

The photo forums I've been peeking in has had reports of some SD HC (high capacity SD cards) causing problems on Macs.

What little reading I have done on the topic seems to say that there are variances to the HC designation and it is not a true standard. It is supposed to allow for SD HC cards with capacities upwards of 32GB, although the 4GB models have only recently started hitting the streets. The vast majority of the SD cards out there are of the 1 or 2GB capacity.

Anyone have experience with SD HC and USB 2.0 or PCMCIA card readers here?
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.

Voltaire

iMacfan
Senior User
Dec 18, 2006, 01:44 PM

I think the problems stem from there being two types of 4Gb SD cards. Firstly, there's 'standard' SD cards, which break the standard, and don't work in everything, then there is the new standard of SD HC, which addresses sectors instead of bytes, or something. All I know is that the physical form is exactly the same - I know of at least one camera that has added support for SD HC with a firmware update.

David.
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 18, 2006, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the explanation, NewOldbie. The idea of a 32GB SD card boggles my mind. However, it sounds more like there's a problem of the "non-standard" rather than of readers for the media.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules