Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 19)
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2006, 01:45 PM

Holy friggin' crap! Dead Rising is AMAZING!!! And I hated the demo!

This is one of the coolest games I have ever played and I hate zombie games.

RE4 is supposed to be the gold standard for zombie action but I hated it as nothing about it felt new or original like the Nintendo fanboys always says is only accomplished on Nintendo products.

With Dead Rising the way they make you take part of the cut scenes and story development is pure genius. They don't just throw a cut scene at you and then plop you in the middle of having to fight zombies.

The game starts off with you (as a freelance photographer) in a hired helicopter flying to a small town where you hear there is something going down. While in the copper you can see people on the streets below looking like they are rioting. You can then use the camera around your neck to zoom in and take pictures of what is going on. You can quickly figure out that it isn't riots and they are attacking each other. If you frame the picture well and get unusual action you get extra points.

When your chopper drops you off it is just you in this town for 72 game hours for you to rescue survivors, solve the mystery, take wicked pictures and most importantly smash some zombies.
Even hundreds of dead zombies later it just gets more and more fun each time. The game is also full of humor as you can use toy lightsabers, throw gems/CD's/Pies at zombies and change into all sorts of silly clothes and helmets.

The AI is amazing, the way the story plays out, the graphics are top notch with hundreds of fully rendered, smart zombies on screen all out to get you.

Proof that next gen DOESN'T mean only pretty graphics if you don't have motion control. Immersion is done in more ways then just waving your arm around.

Apparently this game uses 90% of the Xbox's power and damn does it show.

The only bad thing is the save point method but I guess that is what makes it so challenging.

If you have a 360 get this game now!

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 12:07 AM

Look at that gap !!! Jeeze...and looks like they started diverging in May (E3).

I think Microsoft made a good compromise to use DL-DVDs over HD-DVDs. Gave them the head start, lower price and shorter load times. And although they have introduced the HD-DVD add on, im pretty confident that at the next E3 they will announce the XB360 w/ a built in HD-DVD for the same price point...of course it will play regular DVD/DL-DVDs as well. and they can keep the prices the same. Overall i think Microsoft's strategy to take on Sony might actually pay off given the earlier launch, library, price and online.

I wonder what load times on Blu Ray is going to be like ? I think with the announcement from Ubi that Red Steel wont have any load times....im cautiously optomistic that the Wii will probably hvae the shortest load times out of the 3.

Cheers

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Sep 6, 2006, 12:25 AM

Load times depend on how good programmers are and how they are loading data. Data can be streamed, loaded intermittently during a level or in a large chunk between levels. And then there is the data itself!

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 07:28 AM

PS3 launch in PAL regions delayed to March 2007. N.American allotment limited to 500k launch units, and 100k launch units in Japan.

link
and...
link

Uh-Oh !

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2006, 08:04 AM

Surprise, surprise. How many consoles did the 360 launch with in N. AMerica, cause god knows that was considered a joke at the time too.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
PS3 launch in PAL regions delayed to March 2007. N.American allotment limited to 500k launch units, and 100k launch units in Japan.

link
and...
link

Uh-Oh !
So?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 09:28 AM

Well, I know about PAL people which first purpose was to get a new game system this Christmas, so far the 360 was the thing to get since they didn't know about N and SONY release dates… but they didn't like the idea since they see the 360 kinda like another PC… then once they knew about being able to get the PS3 this Christmas, they went all over it.

Now they have to deal with this and think over it… so far they could wait for the PS3 launch (likely), get the 360 and later the PS3 (highly doubtful), or get the Wii this Christmas and the PS3 once it is available, (most likely).

So far your mileage may vary, but I find interesting this PAL PS3 delay could get people into the Wii, after all if they REALLY want the PS3, to wait some additional months is something they can live with… and Wii is not going to be that expensive as for hurt them (they want their Christmas present after all).

It is not like people are going to avoid Vista because it has been delayed forever… <-- sad but true.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2006, 09:34 AM

If I were Sony, I wouldn't worry if people were buying the Wii.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by starman
So?
So the primary advantage that enabled the PS2 to win this past generation in Europe/Australia/etc... has been eliminated. With the XB360 already on the market and Wii hitting shelves worldwide before the end of the year, Sony could potentially loose these markets to the competition. It's starting to look more and more like the PSP.

So ? Yet another nail in Sony's coffin.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 10:21 AM

So ? Yet another nail in Sony's coffin.
Based ONLY on # of units? Dude, you don't have a f'n clue.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 6, 2006, 10:33 AM

link
and...
link

Uh-Oh !
Well I saw that one coming for a mile as neither the PS3 or the Wii have actually hit assembly lines. I know someone involved with the PS3 marketing and he mentioned that Canada would probably only get 3000 units at launch. That is nuts.

Anyway, isn't 500k the same amount MS shipped with the 360 except world wide?

"Hello, what have we here?

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
Yup, but to Hawkeye, it's "the nail in the coffin for Sony"

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2006, 10:36 AM

Dunno, but I already asked something along those lines.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2006, 10:36 AM

link
and...
link

Uh-Oh !
Looks like I'll be making more money off ebay.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 10:38 AM

Well I saw that one coming for a mile as neither the PS3 or the Wii have actually hit assembly lines. I know someone involved with the PS3 marketing and he mentioned that Canada would probably only get 3000 units at launch. That is nuts.

Ive heard reports that the Wii hit production lines a few months ago. speculation of course. But the same source menioned that the PS3 hadnt yet (up until a forthnight ago).

XB360...well considering they were the only next gen console on the market, they could afford a delay/supply shortage. Do that when you have both your competitors shipping...what do u get ?...GameCube anyone ?

Starman. your 100% correct, PS3 will rule all. [/end sarcasm]

Cheers

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 10:41 AM

Starman. your 100% correct, PS3 will rule all. [/end sarcasm]

Cheers
Do you really think the Wii will? Seriously?

Mario and Zelda can only take the Wii so far. After that it's up to third parties. Nintendo doesn't have the badass third party support that Sony does (or MS for that matter).

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2006, 11:10 AM

Ive heard reports that the Wii hit production lines a few months ago. speculation of course.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/wii/wii...ues-197560.php

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2006, 11:24 AM

"The previously announced PLAYSTATION 3 shipment forecast of 6 million units globally within the fiscal year ending 2007 is not changed."

Pretty much if you want a PS3 you will still get it even if they delay it slightly for some markets.

It sucks but in the end not be a big deal. I mean 360 had huge shortages and they are still meeting forcasts.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2006, 11:26 AM

I wouldn't call the European delay slight.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
I wouldn't call the European delay slight.
Good thing I don't live there.

Europe gets everything later. The PS2, DS whatever. 4 months is nothing.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 11:37 AM

Ooh, can we call that a "nail in the coffin" for Nintendo?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 11:39 AM

Mario and Zelda can only take the Wii so far. After that it's up to third parties. Nintendo doesn't have the badass third party support that Sony does (or MS for that matter).
Didn't you say this earlier in the thread, so somebody went and got a list of a metric ton of third-party games already slated for Wii? I could swear…
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2006, 11:40 AM

Well, the Wii has the advantage that it's components will be available in much higher yields. The PS3's components... probably not.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
Well, the Wii has the advantage that it's components will be available in much higher yields. The PS3's components... probably not.
IF THEY WORK!

Did you READ the article?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Holy friggin' crap! Dead Rising is AMAZING!!! And I hated the demo!

This is one of the coolest games I have ever played and I hate zombie games.

RE4 is supposed to be the gold standard for zombie action but I hated it as nothing about it felt new or original like the Nintendo fanboys always says is only accomplished on Nintendo products.

With Dead Rising the way they make you take part of the cut scenes and story development is pure genius. They don't just throw a cut scene at you and then plop you in the middle of having to fight zombies.

The game starts off with you (as a freelance photographer) in a hired helicopter flying to a small town where you hear there is something going down. While in the copper you can see people on the streets below looking like they are rioting. You can then use the camera around your neck to zoom in and take pictures of what is going on. You can quickly figure out that it isn't riots and they are attacking each other. If you frame the picture well and get unusual action you get extra points.

When your chopper drops you off it is just you in this town for 72 game hours for you to rescue survivors, solve the mystery, take wicked pictures and most importantly smash some zombies.
Even hundreds of dead zombies later it just gets more and more fun each time. The game is also full of humor as you can use toy lightsabers, throw gems/CD's/Pies at zombies and change into all sorts of silly clothes and helmets.

The AI is amazing, the way the story plays out, the graphics are top notch with hundreds of fully rendered, smart zombies on screen all out to get you.

Proof that next gen DOESN'T mean only pretty graphics if you don't have motion control. Immersion is done in more ways then just waving your arm around.

Apparently this game uses 90% of the Xbox's power and damn does it show.

The only bad thing is the save point method but I guess that is what makes it so challenging.

If you have a 360 get this game now!
Yeah, I loved it. I've beaten it twice now, so I'm taking a little break, but I'm already itching to go back and play it again. It's my favorite 360 game by a wide margin.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2006, 11:46 AM

IF THEY WORK!

Did you READ the article?
Sounded like testing issues to me. Not "ZOMG it's broken."

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 11:58 AM

Ooh, can we call that a "nail in the coffin" for Nintendo?
Yeah, looks like..just like the DS was another nail. right ?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
Yeah, I loved it. I've beaten it twice now, so I'm taking a little break, but I'm already itching to go back and play it again. It's my favorite 360 game by a wide margin.
I'm only on the 2nd mission and I already find it really hard. Good to know it won't only take me 10 hours to finish the whole thing.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Sounded like testing issues to me. Not "ZOMG it's broken."
Uh, no, it IS "ZOMG It's broken"

I'll quote the whole article here since you obviously didn't actually read it:

The factory has received Wii controller's purchasing order and its sample, but is still stucked in testing phrase. From feedbacks of testers, currently the Wiimote and nunchuck still have a lot of small issues, such as buttons aren't sensitive, hard to press 2 buttons together, and even no response occasionally, and the current sample is easy to get damaged, using the controller in normal situation will produce some noise, etc. Entering Sept, if the above hardware problems cannot be fixed, it will directly affect Wii's selling strategy.

Also, the factory has not received the Wii console from Nintendo yet, currently they are testing samples using a dedicated machine only for testing, which means after an up-to-standard sample is produced, it still needs to be sented back to Japan to be tested by Nintendo for the 2nd time. Wii controller uses bluetooth technology for real-time data transfer, and infrared for "space location"(space as in that Eistein(?)) guy Time-Space thingy), and the 2nd phrase of testing procedures maybe even tougher!
So you tell me how these are "testing issues". What is a "testing issue"? It comes from the factory BROKEN. That's not a "testing issue", it's a "the f'n thing is broken" issue.

"Entering Sept, if the above hardware problems cannot be fixed, it will directly affect Wii's selling strategy"

"testing issue"?

No.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 12:13 PM

I'm only on the 2nd mission and I already find it really hard. Good to know it won't only take me 10 hours to finish the whole thing.
The game is pretty hard the first time through. If you quit and start over though, you get to keep your level. By the time you get into the mid-30s for your level, the game becomes a lot easier. There is also a trick you can do to get nigh-unbreakable small chainsaws that almost makes the game too easy.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2006, 12:14 PM

There is also a trick you can do to get nigh-unbreakable small chainsaws that almost makes the game too easy.
Splain...

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 01:34 PM

Well, there are books you can carry with you that extend the durability of certain items you carry. One book makes an item last 3X as long. Early in the game, you get a scoop chance about the coaster going crazy. Be sure to make time for this mission, because when you beat the boss guarding the coaster, he will drop 2 small chainsaws (one will always respawn there as well). This is the best weapon in the game (is super fast, cuts through multiple zombies at once and does crazy damage to bosses). Anyway, there are three books that make the chainsaw last longer. (criminal biology, engineering and entertainment). One book makes the chainsaw last 3 times as long, 2 makes it 9 time and the third bumps it up to 27 times. So you end up having 4 inventory slots filled, but you end up with the equivalent of 27 chainsaws, which makes you unstoppable. Two of the books are in one store and one is in another. I forget their exact location right now, but Gamefaqs.com has a guide to using the books that tells you exactly where to go.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 01:41 PM

I want to comment on the 500k thing... I think it really is going to hurt them. A lot. No units in Europe is a major blow as well. I don't know how many units Microsoft is going to have ready for Xmas, but they could have a HUGE holiday this year. Sony will sell out their 400k and Microsoft will get all the leftovers.

It just seems like Sony is screwing up every step of the way with the PS3. Did you guys hear that the PS3 isn't going to ship with a HDMI cable and I've heard it might not ship with component cables either. That's just ridiculous.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2006, 02:05 PM

I want to comment on the 500k thing... I think it really is going to hurt them. A lot. No units in EIt just seems like Sony is screwing up every step of the way with the PS3. Did you guys hear that the PS3 isn't going to ship with a HDMI cable and I've heard it might not ship with component cables either. That's just ridiculous.
HDMI cables aren't big deal but component is.

I don't care about Sony as a company. If they come out with something i like I buy it without getting all religious. Heck I am leaving now to get another PSP game (Loco Roco).

At the end of the day I could care less what their public opinion is, what the stocks are at etc.

The PS3 has been a PR nightmare for a few months now and serves them right. I don't need one day one but I will try to get one if it isn't to much of a hassle.

My Xbox is really fitting the bill now when it comes to games as I am really happy with it.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 02:08 PM

I don't think the cable thing is a dealbreaker, but it is a slap in the face. It's just a lousy thing to do to your customers.

Here's a link, BTW...

PS3: HD cables not included - News at GameSpot

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 02:10 PM

I want to comment on the 500k thing... I think it really is going to hurt them. A lot. No units in Europe is a major blow as well. I don't know how many units Microsoft is going to have ready for Xmas, but they could have a HUGE holiday this year. Sony will sell out their 400k and Microsoft will get all the leftovers.

It just seems like Sony is screwing up every step of the way with the PS3. Did you guys hear that the PS3 isn't going to ship with a HDMI cable and I've heard it might not ship with component cables either. That's just ridiculous.
Why? My Xbox 360 didn't ship with component cables.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2006, 02:10 PM

I don't think the cable thing is a dealbreaker, but it is a slap in the face. It's just a lousy thing to do to your customers.

Here's a link, BTW...

PS3: HD cables not included - News at GameSpot
Idiots. They are nickel and diming because the system costs so much.

You can get HDMI cables for $15 though but still it is rude.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 02:12 PM

Why? My Xbox 360 didn't ship with component cables.
The Premium 360 does ship with component cables. The core does not.

I hate crap like this. It's like the iPod not shipping with a damn wall charger. That is another pisser.

A few more thoughts about only having 400k units in America...

First of all, this is what they are claiming now. The actual amount will probably be lower, since Sony has been having so many problems with construction and being honest about what is going on.

Second, how many of the people who actually get one of those units will be the kind of hardcore gamers who already have a 360? Probably at more than half of them.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2006, 02:22 PM

Idiots. They are nickel and diming because the system costs so much.

You can get HDMI cables for $15 though but still it is rude.
That's true, but considering all the bad publicity they're getting, it was incredibly stupid to drop them. And yes, rude.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 02:28 PM

I already considered the 360 to be on the ridiculous side when it comes to price. $399 for the premium, $50 controllers (I'm surprised more people weren't pissed about this) $20 charge and play kits (making them $70 controllers), $50 a year for live, $60 games, $100 wifi adaptor. It all adds up super fast.

But look at the PS3. $600 for the system, $50 for a controller, $120 for two games, and now $20 for a cable... = $850 with tax at launch.

It's starting to get silly. I don't see how kids can keep up with this stuff. When I was a child and teenager, my parents made me pay for my own game consoles. I would save up forever to get one. I don't see how that would even be possible these days.

My parents would have never, ever in a million years bought me a game console for more then $150 bucks.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2006, 02:30 PM

$150 then dollars or now dollars?

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 02:34 PM

The Premium 360 does ship with component cables. The core does not.
Uh, yeah, I bought a Premium.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2006, 02:39 PM

Sony sealed the decision for me today, I'm not holding onto this pre order slip til March, so its a Wii/360 for me.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 02:42 PM

Then it came with component cables. Seriously, I'm not making this up.

$150 anytime dollars. In all actuality, my parents never bought me a game console because they didn't think it was a good use of my time. I was told that I would need to save up and buy them myself, which I did. They did buy me a Texas Instruments TI-99 though. That was sorta a game console.

At any rate, I can't see any of my friends parents paying that much for a console, and we were all middle, and upper-middle class kids.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 02:44 PM

Report: US, Japan PS3 launch numbers slashed - News at GameSpot

[UPDATE] This morning, US Sony reps told GameSpot that, despite the European delay and the AP report of reduced shipment numbers, the previous estimates still stood. "[We] have announced that 2 million will be available in the world come November 11 and 17 and 4 million by end of the calendar year," said a spokesperson.

Sorry to burst your bubble there, Hawkeye.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2006, 02:47 PM

It's all hearsay at this point.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2006, 03:29 PM

The how in the world did you not get component cables with it?

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 04:03 PM

I'll double check when I get home. I seem to remember going in the garage for cables when I brought the thing home.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 04:27 PM

You must be thinking of something else, because it's a proprietary cable, with component and composite on one end and a special Xbox connector on the other. Maybe your thinking of a digital audio cable, which I don't think it came with.

Looks like that.

Ham Sandwich
Sep 6, 2006, 04:40 PM

I can't see myself plopping down all that money for a PS3 soon after launch, if at all. I'll let the beta testers deal with the first production run bugs* which I would expect there to be numerous ones of considering it's getting rushed out the door.

Not that I expect the Wii to be flawless on first-run but with the small outlay of cash, it's not a big deal for me to take that gamble.

(* Apple taught me a valuable lesson with that and MacBooks. Plus, the bitching I've heard from more than not on the 360 first-run problems)

Forum Links
Forum Rules