Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Rage for Mac?

Rage for Mac?
ibook_steve
Oct 4, 2011, 02:29 AM

Wasn't Rage supposed to be a simultaneous release for PC/Mac? Steam only has a PC version.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Rumor
Oct 4, 2011, 02:53 AM

They seem to be quite mum on the subject. This is about all I have found about it. Funny that they would announce the game at WWDC and not follow through.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2011, 06:01 AM

I think Mac users have dodged a bullet: Rage is crap.

Ars Technica says SKIP. Reddit is furious. Steam Forums are staging a revolution.

Of course, iD haven't released a good game since Q3A, so why should we be surprised?

EDIT: watch this video. Un-fncking-believable.

EDIT: incidentally, I downloaded both DOOM II RPG and Wolfenstein 3D for my iPhone. Both crash at launch. It might be that my iPhone 3G can't do it, but the system requirements say it can. Grrr....

EDIT: incidentally, did anyone play RAGE on the iPhone or iPad? Was it any good?

EDIT: I've been watching this video from Giant Bomb, and holy crap this game LOOKS fantastic. Too bad it's only skin deep.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Oct 4, 2011 at 08:36 AM. )

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2011, 09:49 AM

I have it on the iPad. I didn't have a major issue but was not ground breaking other than in graphics. They had it for free downloading for a week on the App Store, so I checked it out. The graphics on the iPad are VERY impressive, but the game itself is a combo of a rails shooting like Dead Space on the Wii and Smash TV.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2011, 09:57 AM

Ok, I just finished the Giant Bomb video. Wow. The visuals in this really astound me. If I was a console gamer, I would grab this now. Heck, I might go buy an XBox just to play this.

I've gone back to read the Ars Technica review. Yes, there are still some things that perplex me. I mean, this really happens?
To give you a sense of how ridiculous this game can be, here's a sample mission: my goal is to go to the next town to drop off some supplies. First I have to speak to the mayor, who tells me I need to change out of my conspicuous clothes before he'll talk to me, so I have to find the tailor. No sweat, right? Back to the mayor.

Once I get my new clothes, the mayor says I have to rent garage space and talk to the sheriff. So I do those things, but the sheriff tells me I can't have the supplies that need to be delivered unless my buggy has guns. To get guns, I need to talk to the guy at the race track. After talking to the guy at the race track, I'm told I need to speak to another guy to set up races for the slips to get the guns—when I find that guy, he tells me to speak to his guy so he can schedule the race...

It's absurd and pointless. Why can't the first guy just set up the race? What designer sat down and said that the player should have to track down and speak to FOUR PEOPLE to get to the actual action?

The sense that gamers are being trolled extends to many of the missions. Some of them go so far as to force you to drive to a location, hit a button, and then drive back to tell someone you hit a button.
But some of the other complaints just mean nothing to me.

Too linear? I like linear. Half Life 2 and Portal 1 & 2 are completely linear, and they rocked.

He says it's "Fallout without actual choice, characters, or consequences." I like good characters, but the choice and consequences stuff doesn't matter to me. I didn't play Fallout, but the moral choice stuff in Bioshock felt pointless to me.

It looks like RAGE has streamlined the RPG elements to the point that actually appeals to me. (I couldn't stand the RPG elements in Borderlands and Bioshock.)

I watched the vehicle combat and the on foot combat. It looks fine to me, not "doing boring things against stock enemies using weak guns." He played it, not me, but it looks fun to me.

Watch the whole video. And doesn't the main reviewer sound just like Seth Rogan? Weird.

I think Mac users have dodged a bullet: Rage is crap.
Ok, I take this back. If the texture bugs can be fixed on PC, it might not only be not crap, it might be amazing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules