Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > graphics cards in stores mac compatible?

graphics cards in stores mac compatible?
mojo5436
Aug 13, 2001, 01:02 PM

Hey, I'm looking to buy a graphics card for my AGP G4, but would like to go buy it at comp usa, or the like. All the Radeon and NVIDIA cards they have there say they are only for PC's. Does this mean that the drivers that come with the cards are for PC's, and that I can just download the mac drivers off their website?, or is there a difference in the actual hardware of the cards. My thinking was that an AGP and a PCI card were the same, except for the drivers. Thanks
MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz C2D 2 GB SDRAM 7200 100GB Glossy
Power Mac G4/400Mhz/AGP Graphics

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2001, 01:54 PM

As Elmer Fudd used to say "Be verryy careful"... you cannot plug in any video card and Mac drivers and run it, and only certain Nvidia cards are compatible.

First, the Radeon PC cards as far as I heard are not compatible with Macs, there is no flash program to flash the on-card ROMs, if they are even flashable.

The PC version of the Nvidia 2MX and Nvidia Geforce 3 are compatible with the Mac, but need their ROM flashed. Check on the net at www.imgmagazine.com and www.macgamersledge.com for flash programs and instructions, I'm not sure if there is a flash program for the Geforce 3.

I've never tried a PC card in a Mac or the flash programs, maybe someone else at this forum has.

[ 08-13-2001: Message edited by: Leonard ]
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Codename
Banned
Aug 14, 2001, 09:32 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules