Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > What shooting games would you suggest to parents?

What shooting games would you suggest to parents?
abby
Jun 28, 2012, 01:37 AM

Shooting games have a bad reputation with parents, because, well, they are shooting games. However, just because something is a shooting game does not mean that every single shooting game is flooded with blood and violence. As a matter of fact, I have found some great shooting games that are appropriate for almost all ages.

Even though I'm not a kid, I used to play a lot of a game called Bug Princess. Recently, I downloaded a game called AstroWings3. In my opinion, both of these games would be great for parents to download for their child and allow them to play it.

That being said, what other shooting game apps would you suggest to parents? I'm really interested to check out the suggestions that everyone has, so feel free to reply with the iTunes link and some info about the game, if you don't mind.

As for my suggestions:
AstroWings3: App Store - AstroWings3 - ICARUS

Bug Princess: Bug Princess for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad on the iTunes App Store
don't judge a book by its cover :p

andi*pandi
Jun 28, 2012, 04:31 PM

We haven't really tried any real shooting games for the kids.

Bug princess looks to be very boring, and the graphics are low quality. I don't think I'll bother showing the kids the lite version.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Jun 28, 2012 at 04:40 PM. )

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2012, 05:29 PM

A really fun and simple shooting game is to take your kids to a range, put up paper targets with scoring rings, and see who can get the best score. Besides having fun, your kids will develop a respect for firearms while building skill at arms.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2012, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
A really fun and simple shooting game is to take your kids to a range, put up paper targets with scoring rings, and see who can get the best score. Besides having fun, your kids will develop a respect for firearms while building skill at arms.
Careful or you'll shoot your eye out

eldarkus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2012, 01:24 PM

Portal and Portal 2. I dont know if I would consider them shooting games, but my son is 7 and he loves both of them. He made me play Portal 2 like 4 times thru.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jun 29, 2012, 03:38 PM

I wouldn't have much of a problem with my son playing "Oni" if they would come out with an OSX version.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by RobOnTheCape View Post
I wouldn't have much of a problem with my son playing "Oni" if they would come out with an OSX version.
There was an OS X version, but it was PPC and stopped working when Apple dropped Rosetta.

BTW, Super Crate Box is fun as hell on the iPhone. EPOCH is also fantastic with an unusual control scheme that's designed for touch.

eyepon35
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2012, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Some would say that exposing the kids to guns at an early age is bad. They may develop the wrong ideas and all.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by eyepon35 View Post
Some would say that exposing the kids to guns at an early age is bad. They may develop the wrong ideas and all.
We call those people "Democrats." Guns are a great way to teach responsibility and control.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
[QUOTE name="eyepon35" url="/forum/post/4175789"]

We call those people "Democrats." Guns are a great way to teach responsibility and control.[/quote]
*We* call them "people".

My kid is not learning that guns are a normal part of everyday life, because hell no! they're not (here, thank god and gun control laws).

YMMV,

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 11, 2012, 11:01 AM

Can we please not get political in an iPhone App thread? Seriously.

abby  (op)
Jul 11, 2012, 07:22 PM

Thanks for everyone that posts app suggestions I'll have a look at those.

OhNo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2012, 01:28 PM

Maybe a nice arrow shooting game with puzzle features and selectable "easy" difficulty so kids can play it too:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/arrow-mania-free/id534574804?mt=8

HealthBuffMe
Jul 21, 2012, 05:54 PM

As for me, first person shooting games are the best though I don’t wanna mention violent ones in here. I would suggest shooting games that are focusing on improving the kids’ motor skills and focus. These games should be played in moderation and that physical sports is the best. I do believe that kids who are exposed early on playing shooting games on a device helps in creating a bit of “sportsmanship” already, having a goal to get high scores and patience to try again.

HealthBuffMe
Jul 21, 2012, 06:12 PM

Also, CHUCK GNOME is one of the shooting apps I do recommend. Its fairy tale theme is highly recommended for kids, specifically preschoolers. Very entertaining and educational for that age range.

abby  (op)
Jul 31, 2012, 11:18 PM

thanks guys you're listing good games.

HealthBuffMe
Aug 12, 2012, 10:27 AM

It’s weird but recently I am getting hooked with Zombieville. It may be because of the creepy feel of the sound or something. How come a very simple and plain shooting game could be so engrossing? But again, this could be just my week’s fave game, haha!

Forum Links
Forum Rules