Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > cheap dvd-r media

cheap dvd-r media
mutron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2003, 03:03 PM

Hi,

I am looking to buy cheap dvd-r media
that work with the 17'' powerbook
superdrive.

I would like to use them for backup
purposes.

there are millions of sites selling
for <$1 per disk. Any suggestions?

Have someone tried the DVD in another
DVD player to see how it works?

Thanks!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2003, 03:17 PM

I would avoid the ultra cheap media. It is completely unreliable. Some of the intermediate priced bulk stuff is OK, but often the better stuff costs as much as the Apple media anyway. YMMV.

djjava
Senior User
Jun 3, 2003, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
I would avoid the ultra cheap media. It is completely unreliable. Some of the intermediate priced bulk stuff is OK, but often the better stuff costs as much as the Apple media anyway. YMMV.
apple. support the source.... you spent $3300 on the PB17... don't worry about nickels and dimes.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 3, 2003, 03:39 PM

How about trying a search? This topic seems to come up about once a month.

urrl5201
Jun 3, 2003, 06:16 PM

I use the cheapest dept store brands and they work great. Memorex 10 pack for $23 was my latest purchase from the local Target store. I have had my 17" since April I think (time flies when you're having fun) and only 1 DVD was a coaster, probably because I moved the 17" while it was burning. Guess I must have burned about 15 DVD's by now. I would not think of spending over $3.50 for a blank DVD.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2003, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by urrl5201:
I use the cheapest dept store brands and they work great. Memorex 10 pack for $23 was my latest purchase from the local Target store. I have had my 17" since April I think (time flies when you're having fun) and only 1 DVD was a coaster, probably because I moved the 17" while it was burning. Guess I must have burned about 15 DVD's by now. I would not think of spending over $3.50 for a blank DVD.
Apple 2X media is $3.

Memorex isn't the greatest, but I hear it's pretty good, and way better than that sub $1 stuff he was talking about.

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2003, 01:36 AM

Yea, you might go for the Apple brand. They definately are the most reliable and for Movie DVDs they seem to work with more players than the cheapo ones. I have 2 dvd players at my home and the Apple ones work on both of them. However the $1 ones only work on the newer Toshiba player I bought.

Hopefully Steve Jobs wasn't blowing smoke up our arses when he said that dvd media shoud reach the $1 mark by the end of the year.

Forum Links
Forum Rules