Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What files save the network settings in MacOS X 10.3.x?

What files save the network settings in MacOS X 10.3.x?
JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2004, 12:55 PM

My parent's iMac hard drive is playing up and they are going to have to resort to an erase and install of the OS, but I want to be able to tell them which file(s) they need to back up to their PowerBook before I get them to do it*. So does anyone know which preference files they should back up to retain their current iMac Network/Internet settings?

I'm guessing that it is primarily the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist, but is that the only one?

I did know the answer to this for 10.2.x but it seems that this may have changed in 10.3.x

TIA for any help.

* FWIW, an archive and install has failed and disk utility will not repair the damage. It is easiest for me to recommend an erase and install as they are living on another continent and troubleshooting via iChat is proving tricky to do... they don't need to save their user folder, just their internet settings. I also want to keep the amount of files that they copy back to the newly installed system to a bare minimum as I want to eliminate whatever it was that was the original cause of the problems they have been having (Kernel Panics that are not hardware related and freezes when starting up of which safe booting won't bypass).

Forum Links
Forum Rules