Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > App Store annoyance - lack of info on withdrawn apps

App Store annoyance - lack of info on withdrawn apps
JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2009, 06:12 AM

If an app is withdrawn, ffs Apple don't remove the page for it from the App store and instead post the reason why.

Two (incredibly useful) apps I have on my iPhone, have disappeared from the App store and into the ether. Doing a search for them now pulls up absolutely nothing on iTunes, so I have no idea what the implications of using these apps are - were they withdrawn because they use too much CPU or download too much data or are detrimental to my phone in some other way? Or was it simply due to legal or copyright reasons? Will there be an update release that corrects whatever the issue was? Should I continue to use the apps or not?

Instead of providing some basic information for users of the store, we have to do a Google search to try and find out. Thanks a bunch Apple.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 10, 2009, 09:15 AM

Is it also possible that they got renamed? Some apps have changed name.

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2009, 11:16 AM

No. Searching by developer shows that they are gone from the store. Regardless, even if the name has changed (which would have been obvious from an update), then searching the old name should still find the new one.

Google search shows that one app was withdrawn by the developer for legal reasons, but my point is that people shouldn't have to rely on Google to find this out. Just block further downloads from the store and post a reason for the block at the same time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules