Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook being X-rayed at airport?

PowerBook being X-rayed at airport?
Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2003, 06:09 PM

I'm taking a trip to Japan this Thursday (updates will be here, for all those interested), and I have a question about my PowerBook.

As carry-on, I'm bringing a PowerBook Pismo, a MD recorder, MiniDiscs, a digital camera, and a Game Boy Advance.

Should I be worried about the airport X-rays adversely affecting any of these devices? I'm most concerned about the laptop, though...

Any help would be appreciated!
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

jersey
Senior User
Mar 3, 2003, 06:23 PM

my ti book has been thru the old xray a time or two. shouldnt hurt any of those items.

malone
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2003, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by Bluebomber21XX:
I'm taking a trip to Japan this Thursday (updates will be here, for all those interested), and I have a question about my PowerBook.

As carry-on, I'm bringing a PowerBook Pismo, a MD recorder, MiniDiscs, a digital camera, and a Game Boy Advance.

Should I be worried about the airport X-rays adversely affecting any of these devices? I'm most concerned about the laptop, though...

Any help would be appreciated!
And mine's been through the x-ray many times. Along with my MD recorder/player, MDs, digital camera, and the like. It's alright. There's nothing photosensitive in any of those electronics, or most electronics, for that matter.

Karim
Senior User
Mar 3, 2003, 08:48 PM

Mine went through the Xray in LA & Tokyo 2 weeks ago and still lives.

ryju
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2003, 09:02 PM

Yeah my MD player, cd player, MDs, gameboy, and digital cameras were all fine. Not that I expected anything bad to happen...

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2003, 09:38 PM

Just make sure you send it through the x-ray machine and don't try to carry it through the metal detector. That would be bad news.
Backup your Backup

Bluebomber21XX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2003, 11:44 PM

Okay, good, my mind has been set at ease then.

Updates will commence as soon as I leave!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2003, 11:51 PM

Where in Livermore do you live?

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2003, 02:12 PM

I travel once a month and have my laptop being screened through the X-ray machines at airports.

2q"#�#�%&/�&(%/(() not any problems so far "�%#%&/&)&/()=

Seriously, no problems at all. The most harm is to leave your stuff unattended, so make sure you go through the metal detector at the same time as your carryon goes through the x-ray.... watch out for thieves!
/Petra

ibook_steve
Mar 4, 2003, 02:20 PM

It is a common misconception that X-rays can damage laptops. Actually, it's not the X-rays you should be worried about. Some X-ray machine conveyor belts have motors below them with strong magnets. The magnets in these motors could do something to the data stored on your hard drive. It's rare, but I'm pretty sure it could happen. The best thing you can do is make the time that the computer is on the conveyor as short as possible. To do this, put your laptop on the conveyor before your other carryons. That way it will go through first and quickly get to the person who does the manual laptop inspections. This is what I do and I've never had a problem.

Steve

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2003, 02:24 PM

These Xray machines are harmless. End of discussion.

The bigger problem, IMO, are the metal conveyor rollers at the end of the belt that jar the crap out of the tray containing the computer. I always grab it before it makes it to the rollers.

(I also like the looks I get when I travel with either my Ti or 12, when I remove it from my case.)

Bluebomber21XX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2003, 03:30 PM

sean,

I'm right off of Olivina and Rincon Ave. It's pretty close to Jack London Blvd and the airport.

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2003, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by CyberPet:

The most harm is to leave your stuff unattended, so make sure you go through the metal detector at the same time as your carryon goes through the x-ray.... watch out for thieves!
There is supposed to be a manuovre
where someone sets off the metal detector in front of you and while bumbling about and
getting in your road their accomplice takes of with your laptop.

Michael

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2003, 07:44 PM

So many people *forget* their laptops! I suspect primarily work-issued, which sounds just dandy in terms of IP security.

So don't let yourself be so rushed that you forget that baby in the pile at the machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules