Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Using the Lord's name in vain.

Using the Lord's name in vain. (Page 2)
demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 08:56 AM

George Carlin is f*cking God!

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2004, 09:00 AM

Goddammit, I found this thread too late.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

fxbezak
Senior User
Location: mysql> CREATE TABLE bar (m INT) SELECT beer FROM tap;
Jul 23, 2004, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by Bluebomber21XX:
I am getting rather tired of seeing people around here throw out terms like, "g damn", "Jesus", "Jesus Christ" and the like when they are talking to/about someone. It's really offensive, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Rather than start another religious thread, let me just ask this: can you all just think about what you're saying before you type it? Does it *really* need to be said? If you believe in God, you shouldn't be saying it, and if you don't you shouldn't be either. It's not like it would add any seriousness to what you're saying, seeing as how you don't place any faith behind His name anyway.

Myself and others here would appreciate it.

#1 This religious crap is what is ruining this world.
Everyone�s belief system is different, and I certainly do not plan to filter everything I say to appease everyone because they might be offended by it. If you don�t like what�s on change the channel.

#2 Stop drinking the koolaid now. There are many religions in the world not just ones that believe in Jesus Christ. I�m sure some people would get offended by your post proclaiming that he is an important figure.
The Desires of Youth are the Regrets of Maturity.
http://www.unixtree.net

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2004, 09:01 AM

Erik, is that picture Terry Pratchets Cohen the Barbarian?

Edit: Looking at the URL, it must be. Paul Kidbey's the guy that does the cover art for the discworld books, isn't he?
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2004, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by fxbezak:
#1 This religious crap is what is ruining this world.
Everyone�s belief system is different, and I certainly do not plan to filter everything I say to appease everyone because they might be offended by it. If you don�t like what�s on change the channel.

#2 Stop drinking the koolaid now. There are many religions in the world not just ones that believe in Jesus Christ. I�m sure some people would get offended by your post proclaiming that he is an important figure.
On that note:

"THOU SHALT NOT KILL

Murder. But when you think about it, religion has never really had a big problem with murder. More people have been killed in the name of god than for any other reason. All you have to do is look at Northern Ireland, Cashmire, the Inquisition, the Crusades, and the World Trade Center to see how seriously the religious folks take thou shalt not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable. It depends on who's doin the killin' and who's gettin' killed."- George Carlin
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

tuqqer
Jul 23, 2004, 09:03 AM

"You didn't know that people tend to be unfriendly towards those who make off-topic posts taking a holier-than-thou attitude and trying to tell them how they can and can't talk? I probably ought to warn you, it would also be unwise to try kicking somebody in the shins or telling him you just had your way with his mother.

Yes, it's funny how people have ugly reactions to some things."

I will have to vote this as the funniest thing my brain has read in 5 years. Snot and spit involuntarily were ejected out of my face at the same time upon reading it. Closest thing I've ever had to a conniption fit. Scared the cat, I kid you not.
Leopard 10.5.x •• 2.66Ghz Mac Pro, 7 Gigs RAM •• dual 20 Samsung LCDs •• MacBook Core Duo 13" 2Ghz White

fxbezak
Senior User
Location: mysql> CREATE TABLE bar (m INT) SELECT beer FROM tap;
Jul 23, 2004, 09:20 AM

Im getting really tired of these fellowship born again people trying to force their religion down peoples throats.

I used to attend church until I realized the Cathloc church was all about money, greed and vanity. Also the turn off was these cult like fellowship made up kool aid churches. Im so tired of hearing about people religious values and how they think people should live.
The Desires of Youth are the Regrets of Maturity.
http://www.unixtree.net

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by fxbezak:
I used to attend church until I realized the Catholic church was all about money, greed and vanity...
That is why there is a Protestant branch of Christianity. Do not assume all Christians are Catholic... I personally could not stand a Catholic church.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 23, 2004, 09:32 AM

NOTE TO CHRISTIANS: THIS THREAD WAS STARTED BY A CHRISTIAN.

there. just making that clear, so you can't play the "haters always start the religious threads" card.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

storer
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by typoon:
"I AM THE LORD THY GOD THOU SHALT NOT HAVE STRANGE GODS BEFORE ME

THOU SHALT NOT TAKE THE NAME OF THE LORD THY GOD IN VAIN

THOU SHALT KEEP HOLY THE SABBATH

Right off the bat the first three are pure bullsh!t. Sabbath day? Lord's name? strange gods? Spooky language! Designed to scare and control primitive people. In no way does superstitious nonsense like this apply to the lives of intelligent civilized humans in the 21st century."- George Carlin
COULD THOU PLEASE SHUT UP! Yeye don't wanna her what thy has 2 say...? Seriously... they should do a modern day english bible...

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 09:39 AM

There is no better time for my rant than this thread:

http://www.geocities.com/claudetyler/re.htm

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Tyler McAdams:
There is no better time for my rant than this thread:

http://www.geocities.com/claudetyler/re.htm
Intentional derail: Dumb geocities!!! They deleted my account and my wifes account.

fiesta cat
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2004, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Goded!

Is that 1970s Carrie Fisher behind God? If so, he's a cool dude. She looked better than 1980s Carrie Fisher, and 1990s and 2000s Carrie Fisher don't look so special.

Seriously, when I hear people say "goddamn machine", I think "God probably doesn't care about your machine, and he/she sure isn't going to damn it to hell, because it's an inanimate object".

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2004, 10:23 AM

In no way does superstitious nonsense like this apply to the lives of intelligent civilized humans in the 21st century."- George Carlin
We don't happen to have anyone like that here, but it still doesn't apply.
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 23, 2004, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by Bluebomber21XX:
I am getting rather tired of seeing people around here throw out terms like, "g damn", "Jesus", "Jesus Christ" and the like when they are talking to/about someone. It's really offensive, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Rather than start another religious thread, let me just ask this: can you all just think about what you're saying before you type it? Does it *really* need to be said? If you believe in God, you shouldn't be saying it, and if you don't you shouldn't be either. It's not like it would add any seriousness to what you're saying, seeing as how you don't place any faith behind His name anyway.

Myself and others here would appreciate it.
Hey, what people say is on them. Free will and all. If it comes down to it, and it is a really bad thing to do, only they will be responsible for their actions.

In other words, such things don't usually bother me. I know why it's done.

Just move on.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2004, 11:14 AM

It is wrong to use the Lord's name in vain. Something that has always bothered me to hear.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 11:26 AM

jesus h 7 mary 3 christ

get over it.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 11:27 AM

I used to have a really good friend years ago whose family were super-Christians. I remember I said in front of the mother once, "oh, my god." I swear (to god) at that moment a storm cloud came over the house. The room went dead silent as she slowly turned around to me and said, "We do NOT use the Lord's name in vain in this house!"

She was so scary, I almost pissed myself.

That said, there is this thing called free speech, and though this forum is private, the rules indicate that only profanity, hate speech and slurs are forbidden, not speech that doesn't align with simplistic Christian values. I'm sure there are plenty of boards where people are more "Jesus-sensitive," but that ain't gonna be here.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by wdlove:
It is wrong to use the Lord's name in vain. Something that has always bothered me to hear.
Wrong? That's sort of an issue of perspective, no?

It's fundamentally wrong to kill someone. "Using the lord's name in vain" is subject to opinion.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Hey, what people say is on them. Free will and all. If it comes down to it, and it is a really bad thing to do, only they will be responsible for their actions.

In other words, such things don't usually bother me. I know why it's done.

Just move on.
True. People's actions are their own. Once they cross the boundry and start messing with your life, then they should be stopped.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 11:35 AM

has anyone seen my baseball?

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2004, 12:26 PM

After reading this thread, I just have to quote Billy Madison:

"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

Cipher13
Jul 23, 2004, 12:50 PM

If I "take the Lord's name in vain", I mean no offense thereby.

I am of the opinion... if you are easily offended, so you should be.

It's nothing personal.

I'll say whatever I bloody well want to, as will you. If he chooses to smite me, bring it on.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2004, 01:37 PM

"I AM THE LORD THY GOD THOU SHALT NOT HAVE STRANGE GODS BEFORE ME

THOU SHALT NOT TAKE THE NAME OF THE LORD THY GOD IN VAIN

THOU SHALT KEEP HOLY THE SABBATH

Right off the bat the first three are pure bullsh!t. Sabbath day? Lord's name? strange gods? Spooky language! Designed to scare and control primitive people. In no way does superstitious nonsense like this apply to the lives of intelligent civilized humans in the 21st century."- George Carlin
Always props to Mr Carlin.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 02:40 PM

Well, as most of this board knows, I'm Jewish and therefore, while I may ask G-D to damn something, I may be absolved of it on Yom Kippur when I repent.

So, let people speak their minds, even it it is profane. We don't want your childish, ego-centric desires to influence this board. The universe does not revolve around you, your false messiah or G-D. It revolves around its self.

Now do shut up.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by Tenacious Dyl:
It is one thing in a room full of democrats to make a very pro republican statement.

It is another thing entirely to be in a room full of democrats and consider yourself offended because you are republican and demand they stop being democrats and talking like they are.

Get my drift?
It is also a completely different thing entirely to assume that all Christians are Republican or that no Democrats are Christians. Or to assume vice versa.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 03:14 PM

It's fundamentally wrong to kill someone.
Really? Last I checked, it's perfectly fine to to do so, as in our foreign policy. As far as I'm concerned, Osama Bin Laden is a dead man.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by Black Book:
Ahahahahaha! That is probably the funniest thing I've ever read - and the whole quote is hilarious!

I honestly can't believe there are people in the world like that.
There are, but the website that this material was quoted from (Landover Baptist) is not a serious site. It is, in fact, a parody of religious sites (and a darn good one at that, as it continues to fool people)

The entire quoted article on OS X being a Satanist OS is satire.

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 04:19 PM

'Zounds! 'Sblood! Gadzooks! 'Blimey! You take offense pretty easily, Bluebomber.

fiesta cat--
Is that 1970s Carrie Fisher behind God? If so, he's a cool dude. She looked better than 1980s Carrie Fisher, and 1990s and 2000s Carrie Fisher don't look so special.
That's not God, that's _a_ god (in fact all of them on the right are gods), specifically Blind Io. The goddess you're referring to is probably the Lady, but that's a little picture and I don't have my copy of that book handy.

Plus, what the hell are you on? Need I remind you that Empire and Jedi were both in the 1980's -- that the bikini was in the 1980's?
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2004, 04:27 PM

i try not to use the lords name in vain, i'd rather use the f word. but thats me...anyone else can say it all they want.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2004, 04:37 PM

Mel Fuxking Gibson!

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 05:13 PM

Wow, this turned pretty quickly into an all out "I hate religion" thread. Which is fine. Being a Christian myself, I hate religion as well. Nasty thing, led to the crusades, etc.

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2004, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
There are, but the website that this material was quoted from (Landover Baptist) is not a serious site. It is, in fact, a parody of religious sites (and a darn good one at that, as it continues to fool people)

The entire quoted article on OS X being a Satanist OS is satire.
That's a relief. I now have more faith in humanity

Ah, so I was right about the Pratchett reference, with cpt kangarooski talking about Blind Io.
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

deomacius
Senior User
Jul 23, 2004, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
Wow, this turned pretty quickly into an all out "I hate religion" thread. Which is fine. Being a Christian myself, I hate religion as well. Nasty thing, led to the crusades, etc.
Blaming all modern day Christianity for the crusades is like blaming all modern day whites for slavery. Ridiculous on both counts.

You reap what you sow.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by deomacius:
Blaming all modern day Christianity for the crusades is like blaming all modern day whites for slavery. Ridiculous on both counts.
?!?!?!

I didn't blame modern day Christianity for the crusades. I did openly criticize religion, but so did Jesus Christ so I don't see what's the big deal. You ever notice how Jesus always ripped on the guys who were so entrenched with the "Law" and traditions but not so much on the "sinners"? Interesting, eh?

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 07:03 PM

edited to remove predictability and boringness
( Last edited by m a d r a; Jul 23, 2004 at 07:10 PM. )

OH-N'omac
Jul 23, 2004, 07:25 PM

Jesus-F*cking-Christ, some goddamned people need to mind their own goddamned business and keep their goddamned moral instructions to themselves, that or just stop reading things on the goddamned internet, stop going to the goddamned library and stick to watching the goddamned 700 club. For christ's sake, keep it to yourself, your "Lord" isn't mine, and I could care less what goddamned rules you have to follow because of your stupid, goddamned religion. Go to hell.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 23, 2004, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by OH-N'omac:
Jesus-F*cking-Christ, some goddamned people need to mind their own goddamned business and keep their goddamned moral instructions to themselves, that or just stop reading things on the goddamned internet, stop going to the goddamned library and stick to watching the goddamned 700 club. For christ's sake, keep it to yourself, your "Lord" isn't mine, and I could care less what goddamned rules you have to follow because of your stupid, goddamned religion. Go to hell.
Remember that the next time a athiest or religion hater posts another thread telling all believers how dumb they are and how they should "see the light"

deomacius
Senior User
Jul 23, 2004, 08:00 PM

Wow! So what I'm getting from this statement is that it's okay to say whatever YOU want, but it's not okay for the original poster to say what HE wants? If you disagree with him it could have been said much more civilly and respectfully. Like this....

"To each his own".

Hey, I respect your right to say what you believe, but being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk does nothing to further your cause or validate your point.

Ghoser777,
Sorry I read too much into your statement. My position stands for all the other people who try to blame Christianity for the crusades rather than the PEOPLE who did it.

You reap what you sow.

OH-N'omac
Jul 23, 2004, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by deomacius:
Wow! So what I'm getting from this statement is that it's okay to say whatever YOU want, but it's not okay for the original poster to say what HE wants? If you disagree with him it could have been said much more civilly and respectfully. Like this....
Stuff it. No pissy christian has the right to tell me what goddamned words I should or shouldn't use. The original post wasn't respectful, it was a declaration that the rest of forum should follow the rules of his religion.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
That is why there is a Protestant branch of Christianity. Do not assume all Christians are Catholic... I personally could not stand a Catholic church.
Really.

I never noticed that the Catholic Church was about greed, vanity etc.
In vino veritas.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 23, 2004, 08:44 PM

Stuff it. No pissy christian has the right to tell me what goddamned words I should or shouldn't use. The original post wasn't respectful, it was a declaration that the rest of forum should follow the rules of his religion.
And he has the right to post such things. Just like you have the right to take the lord's name in vain.

You were being just as bad as he was.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 08:46 PM

We should respect each other and each other's belief, and at least try not to offend people. Nowadays, we can criticise Christians all we want, yet come a man discriminating against a Moslem, the word racist pops up.

Besides, swearing is not that polite anyway.
In vino veritas.

OH-N'omac
Jul 23, 2004, 09:00 PM

And he has the right to post such things. Just like you have the right to take the lord's name in vain.

You were being just as bad as he was.
Exactly! I'm under no obligation to turn the other cheek. I'll grudgingly give you credit for laying fault on us both.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 23, 2004, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by undotwa:
We should respect each other and each other's belief, and at least try not to offend people. Nowadays, we can criticise Christians all we want, yet come a man discriminating against a Moslem, the word racist pops up.
Ever notice why you never hear "Allah Damnit"

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2004, 09:10 PM

Besides, swearing is not that polite anyway.
C21st etiquette codes to follow

"Excuse me Sirs do you mind terribly if I blow up these really well designed,neat & pleasant buildings please?"
"I beg your pardon but would it be too irksome to you for me to invade your beautiful country?"
"I have some lead as a gift for you. I know how impatient you can be & it would be just really awful of me to keep you in limbo Sir, so I'll deliver it promptly at approximately 500mph whilst relieving you of that heavy & cumbersome wallet which I am concerned could give you a rupture"

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by undotwa:
Really.

I never noticed that the Catholic Church was about greed, vanity etc.
You must've been asleep during mass.

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2004, 09:53 PM

Ever notice why you never hear "Allah Damnit"
Too many syllables.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by hagheid:
C21st etiquette codes to follow

"Excuse me Sirs do you mind terribly if I blow up these really well designed,neat & pleasant buildings please?"
"I beg your pardon but would it be too irksome to you for me to invade your beautiful country?"
"I have some lead as a gift for you. I know how impatient you can be & it would be just really awful of me to keep you in limbo Sir, so I'll deliver it promptly at approximately 500mph whilst relieving you of that heavy & cumbersome wallet which I am concerned could give you a rupture"
Although I'm no scholar on historical matters, I'd bet that the amount of swearing in any other hundred year period per person is highest during the last hundred years. I think it has gotten a little out of hand... sure, it's your right to speak your mind... but just because you can doesn't mean you should/ought.

Waiting to be flamed.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Too many syllables.
Plus most people I know didn't even know the word Allah till about three years ago....

Forum Links
Forum Rules