Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Has anyone built a Hard Disk based mp3 player?

Has anyone built a Hard Disk based mp3 player?
ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2003, 06:55 AM

On ebay I found this PCB unit that acts as a mp3 decoder and IDE interface.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...7292&category=
Has anyone built an mp3 player based on this PCB. How faesible is it? Could the device be networked?

I ask because I'd love a Hi-Fi Seperate MP3 player that has a Hard Disk and could be linked and controlled from my LAN. Someone with decent electronics knowledge could set this up with airport and make it wirelessly controllable. I suppose I could settle for a firewire port that would allow you to copy music on to it that way.

Edit: Having thought about it I realised I have a spare 7100 and a spare 7300 lying around. Could I put these to good use and make either of these funtion as an mp3 server. It could be linked to the LAN throught its 10BaseT interface, hooked to my Sony 50W amplifier and speakers through its 16Bit stereo minijack. Could it be operated headless? Could I build in some sort of remote control/Digital display that would allow it to be controlled without a keyboard/mouse/monitor? Would it be better suited to running Linux? I'd love to hear someone's experiences with a similar project before I embark on my own.

Edit2: I have an iBook that I could use to ssh into the server to control but it'd be nice to make it standalone as well, perhaps being controlled by a remote. It would play randomly from all the mp3s or stick to set playlists when not connected to a controlling machine. This seems like quite a big project but it seems many have tried similar things before. All i really need to know about is hooking up an IR Remote and LCD Display that could be used in conjuntion with some software that will take care of the playing.
( Last edited by ShotgunEd; Jan 13, 2003 at 08:31 AM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 13, 2003, 04:28 PM

You could use timbuktu to remote-control the MP3 mac from another Mac (or even a PC).

tooki

ShotgunEd  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2003, 05:26 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
You could use timbuktu to remote-control the MP3 mac from another Mac (or even a PC).

tooki
Is there an OSX version yet?

jaisun
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2003, 04:24 PM

Shotgun:

Finally someone with needs akin to my own! Anyhow, though limited, I'll share my experiences with you.

My MP3 server/jukebox consists of a 7500 A/V (nice and flat for placement in our entertainment center) with 128Mb RAM, G3 400, 12x CD ROM, stock 1Gb HDD, USB card. Obviously, I have yet to upgrade the hard drive, but MP3 CDs serve as a liveable alternative for now.

Other than installing 9.1 and iTunes 2.x I really haven't explored many options in terms of software. But I have given some thought to hardware solutions. Even though I haven't purchased the parts, here's what I'm thinking:

Networking: 802.11g is out and might be a decent, if pricey, option for building a fast network. However, we do own the house we live in, so a wired network may be doable...it just depends on how I feel about punching holes in the walls

Control: It would be great to relocate the computer...even though it fits in the ent center, it's inconvenient to use (the keyboard and trackball must come out for each use then stowed away). Additionally, since the computer is easy to get at, it's easy to shut down. It would be great to leave it running and keep the tunes flowing! In this case, controlling the machine from a remote location becomes the issue. For me, Timbuktu is not an option because the goal is to get away from using the jukebox as a computer. I'd like to control everything from my couch not another computer!

So, RF keyboard and mouse? Maybe, but distance may be an issue. IR extender coupled with a USB remote (Keyspan?)? Maybe (haven't researched this one yet). Some kind of "long-range" wired solution? Dunno.

Viewing: In order to display the jukebox's screen I'm using an Apple Presentation System. It hooks up to the computer's VGA port, converts the video to NTSC, and sends the data to a TV via RCA or S-Video. Nice device for $20! However, I'm going to have to perform some serious juju in order to send a video signal over 100+ feet of cable with minimal degredation. Or is there a better way? Wireless (sounds spendy)?

As for building a remote, I have no clue...though that would certainly be interesting!

I know I didn't really answer your questions (as I have a lot of the same), but if you'd like to collaborate on this let me know. I'd jump at the chance to bounce some ideas off someone with similar interests!

email: gripley at thecreek dot com

Cheers!
- Design: QS G4 933 / GF4MX / R7k / 1GB / 160GB RAID / 60GB boot / Jaguar

- Games: Abit KD7-RAID / XP 2200+ / Ti4200 / 512MB GeIL PC3200 / 40GB / XP pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules