Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > I've borked aqua and I can't use aquafix

I've borked aqua and I can't use aquafix
ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 06:29 AM

Ok, I was using themechanger to change themes and it worked as normal, quit the dock and the finder but they didn't relaunch. So i reboot and I get stuck at the blue login screen. I don't panic, this has happened before and I have just run aquafix in single user mode. For some reason aquafix cannot be found. It was installed along with ThemeChanger but now its no longer in /bin/ and I can't fix aqua. Anyone got any solutions? I'm desperate here, my next step is reinstalling Jag.

ShotgunEd  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 08:21 AM

ok, i managed to run aquafix after a lot of fiddling but loginwindow is crahing. trying a safeboot (hold shift at startup) to see if that helps.

Edit: Still no luck, still sticks at the blue screen before the loginwindow comes up.

Help me pleeze!>!

milhouse
Senior User
Mar 26, 2003, 01:39 PM

No idea if this will help but perhaps some settings in NVRAM have become fsck'd up.

Perhaps you should try to boot to openfirmware and reset the NVRAM.

Did you try to run fsck -y from single user mode?
"-Dodge This"

KidRed
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2003, 01:16 AM

Borked aqua? You borker, you! Pretty funny mistake, borking here, borking her, I;m a borker!

So you can't log in then? You don't need to re-install, but your manual fix is tedious. Boot into 9, or by a start up CD. You'll need a fresh copy of the necessary UI files. Do a search I had the same issues and there's a list of files that 10.2 uses for the finder/log in etc. If you know someone with 10.2 just copy those files and then in 9 replace them. Aquafix sucks, at least it never worked for me.

Also, after you fix the issue, do a backup of those same files somewhere on your drive so you can just drag them over at the next sign of trouble.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

ShotgunEd  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 04:57 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
Borked aqua? You borker, you! Pretty funny mistake, borking here, borking her, I;m a borker!

So you can't log in then? You don't need to re-install, but your manual fix is tedious. Boot into 9, or by a start up CD. You'll need a fresh copy of the necessary UI files. Do a search I had the same issues and there's a list of files that 10.2 uses for the finder/log in etc. If you know someone with 10.2 just copy those files and then in 9 replace them. Aquafix sucks, at least it never worked for me.

Also, after you fix the issue, do a backup of those same files somewhere on your drive so you can just drag them over at the next sign of trouble.
Looks like loginwindow is borked. I'm going to copy the /System from my dad's iBook to mine tomorrow when I get home.

swiz
GUI Punk
Mar 27, 2003, 09:43 AM

Nothing worse than a borked loginwindow... ACTUALLY, I take that back, I once gnarfed my systemuiserver; that was a nightmare lemmetellya.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

ShotgunEd  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 10:11 AM

if i ever gnarf my systemuiserver i think i'd cry.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2003, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by ShotgunEd:
Ok, I was using themechanger to change themes and it worked as normal, quit the dock and the finder but they didn't relaunch. So i reboot and I get stuck at the blue login screen. I don't panic, this has happened before and I have just run aquafix in single user mode. For some reason aquafix cannot be found. It was installed along with ThemeChanger but now its no longer in /bin/ and I can't fix aqua. Anyone got any solutions? I'm desperate here, my next step is reinstalling Jag.
AquaFix isn't installed with ThemeChanger, tcfix is, and it's in /usr/bin IIRC (it shouldn't be in /bin). This is all in the readme.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2003, 05:06 PM

shotguned.

if things get way too "borked", the jaguar "archive and install" feature is quite nice. dont have to reinstall everything, it just gives you a nice fresh system folder.

Atomic Rooster
Mar 27, 2003, 05:56 PM

ok...this iz what's wrong...the extras.rsrc

this is what you do...boot into 9 and replace the extras.rsrc with any extras.rsrc from any theme that you know has worked O.K....this is just to get you up and running....and go from there...

ShotgunEd  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2003, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
AquaFix isn't installed with ThemeChanger, tcfix is, and it's in /usr/bin IIRC (it shouldn't be in /bin). This is all in the readme.
Yeh, theres another thread running in the OSX forum. I figured out that it was tcfix that i used before. It still didn't help though.

Loginwindow is crashing on startup so i'm going to replace my /system with the one from my dad's iBook. That should sort things out.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2003, 03:31 AM

Yeh, theres another thread running in the OSX forum. I figured out that it was tcfix that i used before. It still didn't help though.

Loginwindow is crashing on startup so i'm going to replace my /system with the one from my dad's iBook. That should sort things out.
How did you replace the /system file when you can't login?

I am stuck at the same place right now. And I can't boot into my computer. I don't have OS 9 installed.

zos
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2003, 02:10 PM

I've personally seen a supposed install of AquaFix fail to work. I no longer trust Aquafix. When it happened to me it went through all of the scripting messages in single user and then still failed to boot. It was installed over a fresh copy of Aqua, my system was unmodded.

As for tcfix, that was also terrible in my experience. If you should ever delete your tcfix backup directory (as I did in order to make sure that I backed up a fresh aqua after an OS point update) I found it impossible to do anything to get ThemeChanger to create a new backup. Tried everything I knew of.

It seems that everyone else has had only wonderful, joyous experiences with themes so I'm sure I'm in the minority. I hesitantly decided to install Swiz's SS Studio Pro when I saw how amazing it looked. I used Duality GP with no problems so far, but believe me, I'm still paranoid that a bug will show up or I won't be able to reboot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules