Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > mail.app constantly forgets pop passwords

mail.app constantly forgets pop passwords
alex_wlu_82
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2003, 07:46 PM

i have a few pop accounts that i use with mail.app, and one of the accounts constantly asks me for my password, so i reenter it, and click on remember password.. the mail downloads fine.. it'll work fine for a while, and then all of a suddent, it does it asks me again.. I've reentered the password in the accounts pane many times, but this doesnt help..

This is the third problem i've had with mail.app in the past few days, but i really want to stay with it, and not the beast that is entourage.

any ideas?

tr
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 08:04 PM

i've had that problem too, sporadically, but i've found that when it usually happens, there's something wrong on the server side of things. usually, if it happens, i quit mail, and try to get my mail with a web based service, and it ends up failing that way too.

tr

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2003, 08:13 PM

I've noticed this more with 10.3's Mail.app then I ever did under Jaguar as well....

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2003, 11:56 PM

how frequently do you have it set to check for messages? If it's too short an interval, Mail may get an error it interprets as an errant password every once in a while (i.e. when the POP server thinks you're still logged in from the last time)

You don't need to actually re-enter your password, just hit cancel and try again.
cpac

posthumanus
Senior User
Nov 20, 2003, 02:20 AM

so what is a 'short interval': i've got mine @ 5 minutes

dagaz
Nov 20, 2003, 02:50 AM

Sounds like your Keychain is corrupted. There's a cool little app on Apple's support site somewhere called "Keychain First Aid" (at least it used to be there, do a search for it). I'm not sure if its compatible with 10.3 or not.
Not compatible with Windows

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 08:06 AM

Ive actually had less of that trouble since upgrading to Panther... after having to re-enter a bunch of pw right after the upgrade.

For the moment, Apple describes Keychain FirstAid as working through 10.2 (though does not SAY that it's broken on 10.3):

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107234
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2003, 02:27 PM

Hi all in Panther Keychain first aid is under the windows menu in the Keychain access app; or if Keychain access is open press command,option,a.

hope that helps.

silverghost
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

Forum Links
Forum Rules