Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > keeping music only on iPod

keeping music only on iPod
alex_wlu_82
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2003, 10:42 PM

hi, i am new to the iPod and have a couple of questions:

1. I would like to keep all my music on my iPod, not just copy select songs over. So when i am at home, i just leave it on and plugged in. And if i want to take off, i just unplug and go.. I know i've seen this in the original commercial for the iPod, but is it possible to keep all the music on the iPod, and none in the Library? I mean, this is Apple, so that's gotta be possible?

anyways, I guess i only had one question..

cheers,
Alex

-Q-
Nov 25, 2003, 11:27 PM

That's not really possible. I suppose you could add all your music to the iPod and then delete everything in your library, but when you plugged it in to sync it, iTunes would then remove all the music you deleted. Besides, how would you add new music?

alex_wlu_82  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
That's not really possible. I suppose you could add all your music to the iPod and then delete everything in your library, but when you plugged it in to sync it, iTunes would then remove all the music you deleted. Besides, how would you add new music?
hmmm.. is there a way that when i connected my iPod, the only thing that my mac (and iTunes) would do is mount the iPod? or does it HAVE to sync? what exactly does it do when it syncs anyways?

alex_wlu_82  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2003, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
to add music, couldn't i just add it to iTunes, and then when my iPod is connected, move it to my iPod, removing it from iTunes?

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by alex_wlu_82:
to add music, couldn't i just add it to iTunes, and then when my iPod is connected, move it to my iPod, removing it from iTunes?
Move your whole library over to your iPod. Then create playlists.
( Last edited by spatterson; Nov 25, 2003 at 11:59 PM. )

MickS
Senior User
Nov 26, 2003, 10:15 AM

You can set your iPod to manually sync. That way you can make changes on your Mac without them being replicated onto the iPod.

You should be able to do what you want to by copying all of the music onto the iPod then deleting it from your library. When rip a new CD just select the tracks and drop them on your iPod then delete them from the library. If you have music that's not been ripped by iTunes*, you've got them from elsewhere, you don't need to put them into the library first. Instead just drop the folder containing the music onto your iPod in iTunes and they will be copied across.

* Before anyone complains there are other legal methods of getting music. I used this process to drop the additional stations for my iTrip onto my iPod. No need for them to live my main library.

alex_wlu_82  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2003, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by MickS:
You can set your iPod to manually sync. That way you can make changes on your Mac without them being replicated onto the iPod.

You should be able to do what you want to by copying all of the music onto the iPod then deleting it from your library. When rip a new CD just select the tracks and drop them on your iPod then delete them from the library. If you have music that's not been ripped by iTunes*, you've got them from elsewhere, you don't need to put them into the library first. Instead just drop the folder containing the music onto your iPod in iTunes and they will be copied across.

* Before anyone complains there are other legal methods of getting music. I used this process to drop the additional stations for my iTrip onto my iPod. No need for them to live my main library.

beautiful, i knew that this was possible with Apple... thanks..

bobsie
Nov 27, 2003, 12:00 AM

Put all your music in your iPod and then delete it from your computer???

What are you going to do when the iPod quits or when you upgrade to a new one? Then you'll end up with nothing. You need to have backups of anything you have in your computer that's important, for which you don't have the original disk, and that goes double for your iPod.

Get the biggest hard drive you can afford -- they keep getting cheaper. Consider an external drive if you can manage it. Then all your music can be tucked away safe.

-- bobsie

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2003, 01:53 AM

ok i did exactly that
all my music was on my ipod
and i found applescripts to manage the music
ie: rip to ipod, and to get it off i used iLinkPod, both worked awsome
rip to ipod copied whatever songs i wanted to copy from my cds
and if i had some i wanted to keep (like dj sets) that werent on cd, then i could save them back to my hard drive with iLinkPod

and i said was above, cause it is a 5gig, and i just netwoked my old imac with a 60gig drive to my ibook to have my whole music library

but for the past year my 5gig was all the music i had, none on my ibook
w3rd..
surrey represent

doof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2003, 03:29 AM

go to version tracker and do a search on iPod

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/se...r=iPod&x=0&y=0

There are loads of shareware apps that allow you transfer music both iPod > Mac and Mac > iPod.

I use one (no endorsements) and keep all music on iPod only.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2003, 08:13 PM

Yikes !! This is gonna be a problem for my buddy who just bought a PC 40gb iPod. He will want to load all his music only on to his iPod since he only has a 10gig internal drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules