Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > FAO Schwartz

FAO Schwartz (Page 2)
itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2004, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by boots:
of course, if you want to shop at these places, we need to have places like this staffed. And college grads are overqualified for most of the jobs at WalMart. Me I'd rather we admit that these people are important to my quality of life and pay them accordingly...stock price be damned.
You might want to check out The Corporation if it's showing near you. I'm not sure if it's opened yet or not.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 8, 2004, 03:25 PM

They are the exception. Perhaps that has to more to do with public awareness of such programs. Perhaps it has to do with a cultural mindset of defeatism. I certainly don't know. But the statistics are pretty scary regarding enrollment rates and the percentage of children who's parents completed college vs those who's parents have not.

I know people that simply don't want to go. They know they could have most of their way payed, but still they rather work at Wal-mart. Nothing wrong with that if they are happy.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2004, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

I know people that simply don't want to go. They know they could have most of their way payed, but still they rather work at Wal-mart. Nothing wrong with that if they are happy.
Are you serious ?

You know people, who could get a college degree paid, but instead prefer to work at Wal-Mart ?
What exactly makes them HAPPY at Wal-Mart ?

-t

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 8, 2004, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
Are you serious ?

You know people, who could get a college degree paid, but instead prefer to work at Wal-Mart ?
What exactly makes them HAPPY at Wal-Mart ?

-t
They get by. They work somewhere they like. I guess money isn't a main concern to them. I know it's hard to believe. But some people can be happy without tons of money.

boots
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2004, 03:46 PM

They get by. They work somewhere they like. I guess money isn't a main concern to them. I know it's hard to believe. But some people can be happy without tons of money.
Very true...and that is part of what I was trying to say. We need people to do that kind of job anyway. Think what life would be like (even in small town like where I live) if there was no trash service. Think what your work building would be like if you had no janitorial staff. It isn't pretty. They are important parts of the economy, regardless of the work ethic of any given individual. I think a living wage would be good. I'm not saying they should make $40,000 a year, but $16,000 is pathetic.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 8, 2004, 04:16 PM

Very true...and that is part of what I was trying to say. We need people to do that kind of job anyway. Think what life would be like (even in small town like where I live) if there was no trash service. Think what your work building would be like if you had no janitorial staff. It isn't pretty. They are important parts of the economy, regardless of the work ethic of any given individual. I think a living wage would be good. I'm not saying they should make $40,000 a year, but $16,000 is pathetic.
I've lived on 16k a year. Not luxuriously but I lived. I don't remember being too unhappy at the time.

boots
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2004, 04:25 PM

I've lived on 16k a year. Not luxuriously but I lived. I don't remember being too unhappy at the time.
Are you supporting children?

When I was first married, we liven on about $12,000. It wasn't much of an existence, but I was a graduate student and it covered housing. Fortunately, the state of Texas has mandated that all state employees have health insurance, so that was nice.

But if you are living in a metropolitan area, rents are easily $700-$900 a month. Our mortgage payment now is only $900, but the down payment is a huge barrier...anyway, if you figure $800 a month in rent (lets be generous and say utilities are included) that's $9600. Figure about $50 a week for food ($2600) and gas to and from work (again, lets be conservative and say $10 a week) is another $520.

total = $12,720. How about clothing? that can be obtained cheaply, but still is an expense. what about maintenance for your car? How about basics like toiletries (soap, shampoo, etc.)?

We are quickly getting to the net wage of the average WalMart employee...with no savings for retirement or emergencies and no health care. Get sick one week, miss a rent payment and you will quickly find yourself among the many homeless who are employed.
( Last edited by boots; Jul 8, 2004 at 04:34 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2004, 04:26 PM

No, I'm far from saying that money is everything.
I'm just having a hard time of picturing Wal-Mart as THE great place to work at.
You know, I'd work for Apple on mw, because Apple is (supposedly) cool, but Wal-Mart... ?

-t

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 8, 2004, 04:27 PM

Are you supporting children?
True, I wasn't. But I also wasn't getting state aid either. AKA Foodstamps or medical.

If you make that much and have kids you automatically can receive such help.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 8, 2004, 04:28 PM

No, I'm far from saying that money is everything.
I'm just having a hard time of picturing Wal-Mart as THE great place to work at.
You know, I'd work for Apple on mw, because Apple is (supposedly) cool, but Wal-Mart... ?

-t
Oh I am sure Wal-Mart isn't a fun great job. I do know people that work there that love their job though.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2004, 04:30 PM

Very true...and that is part of what I was trying to say. We need people to do that kind of job anyway. Think what life would be like (even in small town like where I live) if there was no trash service. Think what your work building would be like if you had no janitorial staff. It isn't pretty.
But in a sense, it's unethical to pay such important jobs with so low wages.

Sure, we all couldn't live without it. But we are not willing to pay accordingly, so we employ only those who have no choice and have to take on ANY job...
I do believe that some people actually really enjoy doing these jobs, but is that a reason to underpay them ?

I don't know, that all is the more depressing side of capitalism to me...

-t

boots
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2004, 04:35 PM

But in a sense, it's unethical to pay such important jobs with so low wages.
-t
That's my point exactly.

boots
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2004, 04:37 PM

True, I wasn't. But I also wasn't getting state aid either. AKA Foodstamps or medical.

If you make that much and have kids you automatically can receive such help.
So it's ok because if the employee does have kids, welfare kicks in? You are advocating that the largest single employer is driving people to fill the welfare rolls?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2004, 04:41 PM

So it's ok because if the employee does have kids, welfare kicks in? You are advocating that the largest single employer is driving people to fill the welfare rolls?
Take that a step further:
This would mean that Wal-Mart's business model is based on cheap labor, who are cross-subsidized by the government. That AIN'T right !

There is a reason for so many people not liking Wal-Mart...
It's the Microsoft of retail

-t

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2004, 04:53 PM

Take that a step further:
This would mean that Wal-Mart's business model is based on cheap labor, who are cross-subsidized by the government. That AIN'T right !
-t
Same argument I made in the mw thread

Forum Links
Forum Rules