Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > An idea to extend airport express

An idea to extend airport express
ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 01:47 PM

This is way beyond my skills so its just an idea at this point.

AirTunes allows users to stream music from their mac to their hi-fi. Neat idea.

What about AirMovie, streaming TV shows from your TV/cable receiver to your mac to use it as a PVR. You could even code an app to sync with an online EPG (electronic programme guide) and make it work like a TiVo and have it suggest programs and record series. You could also stream shows from your mac's DVD player to your TV, and play back the shows you recorded to your hard drive.

Apple should really implement this.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2004, 03:14 PM

Sounds like ElGato's EyeHome device, which should work beautifully with an AEx. Probably better than the D-Link wireless bridge they currently recommend, ay any rate; setting up that thing was frickin horrible.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ShotgunEd  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 08:28 PM

a neat apple solution would be very nice for AE2.0.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2004, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by ShotgunEd:
a neat apple solution would be very nice for AE2.0.
Why must everything be made by Apple?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2004, 09:58 PM

i want ALL audio streamed thru airport express...
then i could work on music (in reason & logic) from anywhere at home...
(apple: hint hint)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

sworthy
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
yea, and to watch dvd's on my laptop on my lap, with the sound still coming out of the speakers.

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2004, 08:04 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
I guess because some Apple users (not all certainly) like a certain aesthetic consistency among hardware products. The whole Airport base station thing, realistically, is pretty overpriced for most people, yet I, along with a whole lot of other people, bought them.

In general I prefer Apple products, I'm not fanatical (honest), it's just my preferred manufacturer.
I have Mac

ShotgunEd  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 08:21 AM

Because if Apple do it, it'll be seamlessly integrated into the OS,

A PVR app iPVR or iVideo or whatever, built as well as iTunes and integrated as well into the hardware like AirTunes would be awesome.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2004, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by ShotgunEd:
Because if Apple do it, it'll be seamlessly integrated into the OS,
Anyone can do that, if they put in the effort. It's not like Windows, where everything is handled through secret APIs.

Case in point: the EyeHome's setup is dead-simple; everything works through Rendezvous. You plug it in and it works. The only problem is that there's no wireless support, so you need a bridge, and there are no good bridges out there. AEx handles that part of things beautifully, allowing for the seamless experience without Apple having to bloat things yet further.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2004, 11:54 AM

The only problem is...
Those four words are the exact reason people want Apple to make it.

I really want an Airport Express, but full CoreAudio support is in fact the missing feature that would justify buying it to me.

I want to be able to monitor mixes on the living room stereo.

Ideally, of course - why limit the AE's USB port to printers ONLY?

I want audio interface support. Yes.

But AE access via CoreAudio device would already be the clincher for me.

-s*

BustledHedgerow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2004, 02:43 PM

I like the idea. I can't wait to get AirTunes.
The sheep in the meadow go bah.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2004, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
In other words, they assume that Apple = problem-free. That's exactly what the worst of the Microsoft-junkies say as well, being one of the lies on which Microsoft has built its business. It's no less true for Apple than Microsoft, though; Apple may have fewer problems but they still have them. There are plenty of third-party companies who have better products than the corresponding Apple offerings.

As an honest question, ShotgunEd, did you switch from Windows?

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 03:34 PM

Apple is using rendezvous for all their network discovery stuff, and a lot of their protocols are open. For instance, I think people have already figured out how to make a Linux MP3 server that looks like an iTunes library.

We already know that Apple is going to be streaming Apple Lossless format files around; it doesn't seem that much of a stretch to do the encoding on the fly and send everything that would normally go through the Mac's speakers to the remote speakers via Rendezvous.
I'm hoping for that -- I'd love to stream Met games to my stereo from MLB's stupid Real-based media player.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

ShotgunEd  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 06:54 PM

In other words, they assume that Apple = problem-free. That's exactly what the worst of the Microsoft-junkies say as well, being one of the lies on which Microsoft has built its business. It's no less true for Apple than Microsoft, though; Apple may have fewer problems but they still have them. There are plenty of third-party companies who have better products than the corresponding Apple offerings.

No, I've used macs all my life.

I'm quite insulted

I just thought with the way apple seem to be conquering the music side of entertainment at home and on the move with iTunes, iPods and deals with BMW, it'd be nice to see the same thing for home TV recording and viewing.

I've yet to use EyeTV but it really does look ace.

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2004, 01:52 PM

I know quite a few Microsoft-junkies myself, and none of them say MS is problem-free. The point is, Apple tends to think out software very well.

I'd like to hear some of your examples of better products than the Apple offerings. iTunes, iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Safari, iChat... all the best in their class in my book. I'm sure there are some examples, but generally Apple "does it right".

Oh, and I've been a Mac man since 1986 (From my TRS-80).
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2004, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by genevish:
I'd like to hear some of your examples of better products than the Apple offerings. iTunes, iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Safari, iChat... all the best in their class in my book. I'm sure there are some examples, but generally Apple "does it right".
Wow, you managed to call out Omniweb and Adium fans at the same time! Impressive.

vonbrain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2004, 11:47 AM

I have yet another pratical use for AE. I own a JVC receiver that has a usb port for audio streaming. It works very well when I hook up my Pismo (running 10.3). When I hook it up, the receiver is recognized as a usb audio device and I can select it as my audio out. Pretty neat (BTW, for my wife's Dell, I have to install drivers and such, what a pain.)

So I am wondering how hard would it be for Apple to make the AE compatible with my JVC usb audio port? Could they not simply make it where the usb port is more or less simply a "repeater", or akin to a wireless hub? Then, conceivable any usb device could be made wireless.

vonBrain

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:

I really want an Airport Express, but full CoreAudio support is in fact the missing feature that would justify buying it to me.

I want to be able to monitor mixes on the living room stereo.

Ideally, of course - why limit the AE's USB port to printers ONLY?

I want audio interface support. Yes.

But AE access via CoreAudio device would already be the clincher for me.

-s*

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2004, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
Wow, you managed to call out Omniweb and Adium fans at the same time! Impressive.
I used OmniWeb before Safari came out, and before iChat I used Fire (I didn't like Adium as much as Fire, but I haven't used either for a while).

What features of these do you prefer over the Apple offering?
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2004, 03:08 PM

Because then it'll look cool, function well, and match the rest of our equipment.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

jasong
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 09:02 AM

The issue with watching the image on your laptop, but listening over airtunes is the delay (the same goes for games). I haven't used airtunes yet, but I am sure there is a delay as the audio is encoded, transferred, and finally decoded. Anyone who used the 1st version of DVD player on the Mac knows how annoying that drifting sync can be.I ay re it would be cool, but I Am guessing this is why revision 1 doesn't just act like wireless speakers

ShotgunEd  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 09:04 PM

I've been thinking about this some more and already submitted feedback to apple about a related possible feature of iTunes where you could control iTunes on a remote computer and hear the sound come from the remote computer, a task currently performed by iHam on iRye.

It'd be great if i could have my guitar plugged into my laptop, running garageband or Amplitube. and have it stream the sound to a remote computer (lets say its hooked up to a guitar amp).

I take it thats to do with the integration of CoreAudio into airport express...?

Forum Links
Forum Rules