Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Trying to get my PC to show up under Network browsing

Trying to get my PC to show up under Network browsing
MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2004, 03:38 PM

I am just confused. Maybe it is because I don't know that much about networking or I am simply doing something wrong. But here is my problem...

I connect to the Internet wirelessly using my Airport Extreme base station.

Now if I connect my PC to the ethernet jack on the back of the Airport hub, my shared volumes on my PC pop up under the network browser in Panther.

But...

If I connect my PC directly to my iBook using an ethernet cord, my PC and its shared volumes don't show up under the network browser. I can still get to the PC by going under "connect to server" and such, but it should be easier than this.

Is it not showing up under network browser because I am connected to my Airport network?

This isn't much a post about a problem as it is me just trying to understand Mac OS X's networking more.

If any networking experts can enlighten me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Mike

MPMoriarty  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2004, 03:52 PM

Nevermind. Apparently it is showing up in the network browser.

That is so strange, it wasn't like that for a half an hour. Then all of a sudden, I go in there for the fun of it to check it and there are my shared volumes. How come it takes so long for servers to show up there?

Mike

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 02:52 AM

I think it's a Finder bug, or at least something that involves the Finder. There are times when PCs don't show up in the Finder at all, but they can be seen using the smbclient tool or by using "Connect To." Times like that I'm glad I stuck with Thursby's DAVE.

Forum Links
Forum Rules