Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > a few questions..

a few questions..
cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2004, 04:09 PM

i'm trying out FruitMenu and enabled so app menus are icons, but its showing my finder icon as the original finder icon and not what i picked with CandyBar. how do i use the one i picked with CandyBar?

using Silk, how do i change just the menu bar font? i have been messing around with it and it seems to always change fonts in safari and file fonts in my finder. i only want to change the menu bar font.

anyone know of any other sites that have MightyMouse Cursors, other than ResExcellence?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 04:38 PM

As for the Finder app, I think you'd have to replace the icon file in the Finder's package contents to get it to change everywhere.

With Silk there's no way to get it to change only the menu bar font, it ether replaces all of one font with another or replaces the system font.

Well you're supposed to be able to import Windows Cursors... but I've had no luck with that myself.
click one

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2004, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
As for the Finder app, I think you'd have to replace the icon file in the Finder's package contents to get it to change everywhere.

With Silk there's no way to get it to change only the menu bar font, it ether replaces all of one font with another or replaces the system font.

Well you're supposed to be able to import Windows Cursors... but I've had no luck with that myself.
ok thanks. i did have to go into the finder's package contents and change it there.

so if Silk can't change just the menu bar, what are some good settings for Silk? and where can i get some good fonts? i've seen people post screen shots and they have some nice menu bar fonts (Makki comes to mind). all i have is the default system fonts, right now.

i found one cursor that seems to be ok. its called NoBalls and i got it from ResExcellence. it's basically just the normal cursor, but without the stem part and the wait, copy, move and private cursors are all the same, other than they flicker different colors.

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2004, 05:16 PM

i found a site with lots of free fonts.
font freak

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 05:26 PM

You really have to just play around with silk. I found that I get better results if I have separate settings for the Finder and Safari in addition to the global settings. I use font substation for Finder, Dock, and Mail, everything else I use a theme font.

Good system fonts are hard to come by also...
click one

crooner
Senior User
Sep 18, 2004, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by cruciarius:
ok thanks. i did have to go into the finder's package contents and change it there.
I can definitely dig what you did. My only concern in doing something like that is what consequences might arise when applying system updates or installations of future versions of the OS. We've all learned (some the hard way) that Apple�s installers can be very picky about what they expect to find.
Let us know how you make out with future system changes. And just in case, save a backup of the original Finder resource.

Once you get the font you like and a cool theme, be sure to post a screen grab in the unbelievably long screen shot thread.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2004, 05:46 PM

yeah, i know. i made sure to keep a back up of the Finder.icns file, but remembering to replace it before doing an update is another matter

i'm not sure on what fonts i will use yet or what theme to stick with. i really like Siro, Aluminum Alloy, Mizu and Cathode...since Mizu and Cathode aren't done yet, i'll probably stick with one of the others for now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules