Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Camcorder to be used as a web cam?

Camcorder to be used as a web cam?
daydream
Sep 19, 2004, 05:06 PM

I have a camcorder Canon I want to use it as a Web Cam I downloaded at least 8 applications and none of the two other apps saw the cam. AOL and Yahoos. Point is I saw some of them that looked great I mean the movement was great and no jerking at all. So any ideas.
( Last edited by daydream; Sep 19, 2004 at 05:13 PM. )

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 06:07 PM

punctuation is your friend. please rephrase and re-ask. what exactly are you asking for if you already saw "great" "movement"?

daydream  (op)
Sep 19, 2004, 07:48 PM

after eight tries not one of the apps that i wanted to connect would see the camcorder as a web cam....

Is this clear no tone just question????

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 08:22 PM

Slow down there young fella!

What type of camcorder do you have? Just to confirm, this is a digital video camera, that is plugged into your computer via Firewire?

Normally, to use a Digital Video Camera as a webcam in iChat, you simply:

1) Plug the camera into your computer with a firewire cable
2) Switch the camera to 'camera' mode
3) That's it, iChat should have recognised your camera to be used as a webcam

I also second Spiky's comments - punctuation would help people to understand what you are talking about. If you have a question that you want others to help you with, at least spend the time to phrase it so we can understand it.

daydream  (op)
Sep 19, 2004, 08:44 PM

Like I am that slow

Come on I know what a firewire camera is

sbjordal
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2004, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by daydream:
Like I am that slow

Come on I know what a firewire camera is
What else are we to assume? Your writing is horrible at best. Your post has no real information as far as software you've tried, Operating System, and information about the steps you took to get the result.
---
One XP Box, One Suse Box, One Blue & White,
One ibook, One iMac 17 FP, one 30 gig iPod and a mini
happy .mac customer, os9 free since 3/24/01

daydream  (op)
Sep 19, 2004, 08:51 PM

It's an Canon Ultura OH! By the way I have one of those other FireWire cameras it's called a DVC-200.....

Is that one as well

I ain't stupid just confused to how to use which the APPLICATIONS

I am told to use this one and then that one and yet AOL or Yahoo does not see it as a WebCam...

Lastly they all want to be FTP uploaded I don't need that either, however I might try that.

CamSpinner 1.0
CoolCam 2.3
EvoCam
GCam
iCamMaster
Video Viewer
Webcam
WuffCam

Which one would you choose

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2004, 09:01 PM

I would one of these. Camcorders are Firewire with DV compatible. Webcam not much different just IIDC sometimes and those turn off after some time inactive which webcams don't. Use these or those doesn't matter for application with QuickTime abstraction. Just turn on before application launch.

daydream  (op)
Sep 19, 2004, 09:04 PM

Why is it I can see myself so clear on the monitor with four of the apps yet when I launch AIM or Yahoo Messenger they don't see the camera or a web cam

Thanx for the reply

So should I do an FTP upload for the other person to see?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2004, 09:13 PM

Why is it I can see myself so clear on the monitor with four of the apps yet when I launch AIM or Yahoo Messenger they don't see the camera or a web cam
Yahoo Messenger doesn't have a setting to choose the input source. Maybe it is stuck to some other source. Try deleting its preferences and maybe it automatically picks the camera if you turn the camera on before you launch it the next time.

AIM doesn't support video chat as far as I know. You can try iChat AV.

EvoCam and maybe some of the others you mentioned can upload stills via FTP. That can be a last resort.

Improve your writing style. This is the Internet, but nevertheless complete sentences with subject, predicate, object and all that stuff can improve understandability of what you write. Outline what you want to achieve, what exactly you already tried to achieve that goal, and what exactly the current results are. You will receive higher quality responses.

daydream  (op)
Sep 19, 2004, 09:50 PM

I was up until five last night I am finishing the final edits on a movie that is going around the world. What have you done lately as it may not seem to much to you I am just a tad tired and one does not really type his best when tired. To be reminded twice only makes it worse as you are not in my shoes to experience the fun of having to do special effects on a movie that was not needed had they filmed it right the first time.

To which I shall not return to a forum that request the verbiage be in good form.

By the way, look at what a bad speller can do with lousy points to get his message across.

�I have a camcorder Canon I want to use it as a Web Cam I downloaded at least 8 applications and none of the two other apps saw the cam. AOL and Yahoos. Point is I saw some of them that looked great I mean the movement was great and no jerking at all. So any ideas.�

What was wrong with the verbiage I stated that no apps worked and the apps could not see the camcorder. I could understand it AOL and Yahoo could not see all the other APPS so what�s the diff here?????

Does one have to ask the exact way to get an answer and then to be rebuked as well especially since he has tried all day long to get a camera to work as a web cam?

TO WHICH NONE OF YOU HAVE GIVEN ME THE FINAL ANSWER.

Thank you and good day
Tom

Goodbye forum
Remove my name...............................

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 09:56 PM

blah blah blah <snip>

Does one have to ask the exact way to get an answer and then to be rebuked as well especially since he has tried all day long to get a camera to work as a web cam?
Mate, the reason people told you to write more clearly is because we (or at least I) could barely make any sense of what you were saying. Furthermore, once people attempted to help, you were rude and arrogant towards them. Tip: no one here 'owes' you anything.

Oh, and, bye!!

daydream  (op)
Sep 20, 2004, 12:06 AM

If you knew anything about iChat is that it does not favor camcorders.

This is your advice Normally, to use a Digital Video Camera as a web cam in iChat, you simply:

1) Plug the camera into your computer with a firewire cable
2) Switch the camera to 'camera' mode

And did I not say the following

�Is this clear no tone just question????�

See I said NO TONE yet you place a judgment on me as you are some great God on high.

Then I am told my writing is:

Your writing is horrible at best. Yet the God on high miss spelled a word himself.

Look at recognised it should be �recognized��..

Then TETENAL comes in and he is a good man as his approach is not to judge my words yet to have advice good advice at that����

I pity the poor fools that listen to your yaps��.

Were was I rude give it break GOD let it go................

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 12:36 AM

Interesting comment especially since probably very few of us using iChat have problems with DV cameras. I'm using a Canon IXY DV2 (equivalent to the Optura series) and of the apps you mentioned, I use Yahoo Messenger, iChat, EvoCam, and GCam without any problems other finding an open Firewire port to plug it into... if you are going to use it as a webcam, do take the tape out to save wear and tear on the camera head.

Under System Preferences/Sound, is the camera seen as a valid sound input source? Under the various applications, is the camera recognized? Remember that for iChat, you need a G3/600 or better for it to even work. Also, if you have an application using the camera when you start up Yahoo, it won't be able to access the camera. I am assuming that since you do video work for a living, you probably have some decent hardware.

If you are having problems, it might help if you tell people what hardware you are using, what version OS you are on, what version of the apps you are trying to use, and any other information that might indicate the source of the problem. Instead, you are taking punches at folks you are asking help from...

By the way, "recognise" is the British variant and not really a mistake on his part.

Cheers.

Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2004, 12:39 AM

i am 99% sure that the purple giant lives in australia, and thus, if i am correct, would use british english and not american english. therefore the word recognised would be spelt with an s and not a z.

there are a handful of words that i have had to get used to using a z instead of an s now that i am studying in the united states.

in response to your post.
what happens if you open imovie with your camera plugged in via firewire? if imovie can see the camera then i do not see why ichat won't. i have spoken with people online and they were using firewire connected video cameras via ichat.

if yours for some reason won't work, i am sorry. then maybe you might want to look at using an app that will take an image every few seconds and upload it to an ftp server.

daydream  (op)
Sep 20, 2004, 12:39 AM

OH my bad....

I will try iChat again.

Hey! Thanks for the heads up.

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2004, 01:50 AM

One strange thing about the Sony DV camcorders (of which I now own two) is that while they can be used as an input to iChat AV, they auto-off after 5 or 15 minutes.

This cannot be changed, according to the droids at Sony.

So an iSight graces my desk for iChat AV and SightSpeed (for my employer) and the Sonys are used for creating DV video for DVDs.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 01:57 AM

Try taking the tape out while using it; most cameras shut off automatically if tape is in, but taking the tape out seems to prevent that (at least with the cameras I've used so far).

YMMV...

BTW, how is Sightspeed for cross-platform use? I was using iVisit for a while but found it to be kinda clunky and slow...

Originally posted by Since EBCDIC:
One strange thing about the Sony DV camcorders (of which I now own two) is that while they can be used as an input to iChat AV, they auto-off after 5 or 15 minutes.

This cannot be changed, according to the droids at Sony.

So an iSight graces my desk for iChat AV and SightSpeed (for my employer) and the Sonys are used for creating DV video for DVDs.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

daydream  (op)
Sep 20, 2004, 02:11 AM

I works thank you �legacyb4� you did it you had the answer. I did one thing extra though. I downloaded the 10.3.5 update and it worked I was holding off as I have a major film we are posting right now.

Thank you

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2004, 11:51 AM

This is simply wrong.

iChat handles my 6 year old sony firewire camera like a charm. So does every other application that I throw at it.

9/10 times, my windows AIM friends can't video chat with me because they don't have the correct ports open or they are behind a home router and don't have the ports forwarded correctly.

I've chatted with friends all over the place. iChat is amazing.

Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2004, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by legacyb4:
Try taking the tape out while using it; most cameras shut off automatically if tape is in, but taking the tape out seems to prevent that (at least with the cameras I've used so far).

YMMV...

BTW, how is Sightspeed for cross-platform use? I was using iVisit for a while but found it to be kinda clunky and slow...

Take the tape out of your Camera, with the tape in the Camcorder will auto sahut of in 10-15 minutes.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 04:51 PM

You guys are far too kind. This stupid bag of dicks needs to learn a little courtesy, how to search the forums for an answer, and where to post his asinine questions.
I am ashamed that he is from Chicago, but that may explain his horrible grammar. Chicago public schools are shite.
( Last edited by ThisGuy; Sep 21, 2004 at 04:58 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2004, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by Buck_Naked:
Take the tape out of your Camera, with the tape in the Camcorder will auto sahut of in 10-15 minutes.
The camcorder will shut down after a while if you don't take the tape out.

Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules