Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The New BMW 3 Series

The New BMW 3 Series
macroy
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 10:40 PM

In depth article

A few pics

can that interior be any uglier? Really hope a 2 door version will make things better. While its not as bad as the 5/7/Z's ... it ain't exactly breathtaking either....

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by macroy:
can that interior be any uglier?
Yes, it could be a Dodge.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
Yes, it could be a Dodge.
or a saturn
http://www.mafia-designs.com

bbcclo
Jan 20, 2005, 10:49 PM

the car looks 50x better in person.... TRUST ME!

Plus, try it with Active Steering and you'll be hooked.
Also if you wait and get one with Comfort Access you'll be the man, its amazing.
15" Ti Powerbook | 15 gig 3G iPod

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2005, 11:05 PM

I'll take the A6.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 12:16 AM

Blech.

Thanks for nothing, Bangle.

Hopefully, the M3 turns out a lot better.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 12:47 AM

Oh dear. BMW stuffs up its cash cow.
Oh dear. They put "iDistract" into it.

Bye bye BMW.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 02:28 AM

Ya the inside looks as cheap as most Chrysler interiors.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2005, 03:09 AM

2005 MUSTANG!!!

God damn I want one.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
2005 MUSTANG!!!

God damn I want one.
I saw a few on the road and they look pretty ugly. Especially the lights at the back.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 03:11 AM

"Starting the engine at the touch of a button.
A new feature in the midrange segment is that the driver, benefitting from the comfort start function, just has to briefly press the starter button in order to fire the engine. Everything else is automatic, all processes continuing by themselves until the engine is running smoothly."

huh?, those need to check certain french cars, they are keyless and have that feature since four years ago.

Do you get the Serie 1 in the States?, now that is ugly

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 03:25 AM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:
I saw a few on the road and they look pretty ugly. Especially the lights at the back.
Ya the back is rather ugly, the whole thing looks like they only got it half right in terms of looks, they needed to modernize it a bit more.

The inside is rather cool and retro though.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2005, 03:29 AM

I guess I'm old school, then. I love the older muscle cars. Cameros, Chevelles, Novas, Chargers, Mustangs, etc. I love the rear of the new Mustang especially because they took it right out of the 70s Mustang.

I think they got it just right. Looks fantastic.

Plus, I think a 4.6L, 300HP V8 for under $30k is awesome.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

macroy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by bbcclo:
the car looks 50x better in person.... TRUST ME!

Plus, try it with Active Steering and you'll be hooked.
Remebered that feature when I test drove a 5 when they first came out. Actually think the adaptive headlights are more impressive - wish they had that on the M3.

Didn't the Honda preludes come with "4 wheel steering" way back in the early 90s? I'm sure the mechanics are different... but I'm guessing the concept is still the same..??

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 21, 2005, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by angelmb:
... Do you get the Serie 1 in the States?, now that is ugly
I kinda like the 1-Series (haven't seen the interior yet, though). Now, if they just sold that thing with a decent engine ... that'd be yummy.

jebjeb
Senior User
Jan 21, 2005, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by macroy:
Remebered that feature when I test drove a 5 when they first came out. Actually think the adaptive headlights are more impressive - wish they had that on the M3.

Didn't the Honda preludes come with "4 wheel steering" way back in the early 90s? I'm sure the mechanics are different... but I'm guessing the concept is still the same..??

The active steering is still only steering the front wheels but not at a linear rate. Roughly, this means that when you are going slow, a smaller steering movement will result in a higher rate of turn and vice versa.

I had a go of it in the 5 series and I was not impressed. To have the car decide how much steering input I should do depending on certain conditions took too much away from the experience, control and mostly feel of the vehicle. No wonder they didn't fit it to the new M5.

I am sure one would get used to it and it could be pretty useful sometimes but I will pass thanks. Luckily it is only an option.

As for the vehicle in general, I think it is pretty nice. It is not full-on crazy Bangle which is good. I have never initially liked a new version of the 3 until about 6 months into its lifecycle. I can see this one growing on me.

Can't wait to try the new 330d (or hopefully the 335d). Talk about torque!! Also will be interesting what the Touring (station wagon) us like. My preferred load lugger would be a 335d Touring. Sweet.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by effgee:
I kinda like the 1-Series (haven't seen the interior yet, though). Now, if they just sold that thing with a decent engine ... that'd be yummy.
What do you mean by decent engine ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 21, 2005, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by Goldfinger:
What do you mean by decent engine ?
The 3 liter, 231hp inline 6. Alternatively, I'd take the 3 liter, inline 6 diesel engine. Wonder if that thing would even fit inside the 1 series.

frates
Jan 21, 2005, 09:37 AM

v6 would fit into, there's still a lot of room available with the current engine.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 09:42 AM

Would you say that the 3 liters are a bit over kill for the 1 series ? Anyway they would have an excuse to jack up the price for 1-series once more. It's really awefull value for money.

And the now the 3 liters are 258 bhp, the 2.5 is 211 bhp (IIRC) that's a LOT of power for such a small car. More like something for a potential "M1" (what a confusing name that would be).

I do like the new 3-series. Now they have to fix the 7-series and I can start loving BMW again how I loved them before Bangle boy. They should fix the interiors as well, they are ugly and not ergnomic at all if you ask me.

Frates BMW doens't make V6s and never will.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 21, 2005, 09:54 AM

Would you say that the 3 liters are a bit over kill for the 1 series ? Anyway they would have an excuse to jack up the price for 1-series once more. It's really awefull value for money.

And the now the 3 liters are 258 bhp, the 2.5 is 211 bhp (IIRC) that's a LOT of power for such a small car. More like something for a potential "M1" (what a confusing name that would be).

I do like the new 3-series. Now they have to fix the 7-series and I can start loving BMW again how I loved them before Bangle boy. They should fix the interiors as well, they are ugly and not ergnomic at all if you ask me.

Frates BMW doens't make V6s and never will.
Well, according to the BMW Germany web site, the 3ltr inline 6 in the current 3 series, 5 series and the z4 has 231hp - not 258 (the 2.5 has 192hp)

And the 1 series' curb weight (120i) is nearly identical to that of my current Beemer which does have that engine - works just fine.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
2005 MUSTANG!!!

God damn I want one.
If you want to give me a Ford, then give me this GT!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 12:10 PM

Nice

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by effgee:
Well, according to the BMW Germany web site, the 3ltr inline 6 in the current 3 series, 5 series and the z4 has 231hp - not 258 (the 2.5 has 192hp)

And the 1 series' curb weight (120i) is nearly identical to that of my current Beemer which does have that engine - works just fine.

Yep they still use the 231bhp version right now, but the new 3-series will introduce the new 258bhp version so.. If there comes a 130i it will be that new 258bhp version.

What BMW do you currently drive ?

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 21, 2005, 01:01 PM

Yep they still use the 231bhp version right now, but the new 3-series will introduce the new 258bhp version so.. If there comes a 130i it will be that new 258bhp version. What BMW do you currently drive ?
258 would of course be even sweeter. Right now I drive Bangle's first "design crime" at BMW - a Z3 Coupe (aka "worn-out sneaker on wheels") - and I love it to death. Practical (essentially a two seater station wagon), sufficiently fast on the Autobahn and it's the bomb on curvy country roads.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 01:27 PM

The Z3 Coup� is pretty cool actually, it a bit weird but looks good (as opposed to the roadster version) and it's pretty rare so that makes it even cooler. The 3.0 in your Z3 was a special version actually, it was the first generation of the 3.0, which replaced the 2.8, and it develops 225bhp in the Z3. The version of this engine found in the other BMWs was one that developed 211bhp. Afterwards they had a small evolution and bumped it up to 231bhp now the new 258bhp adds stuff like Valvetronic.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 21, 2005, 01:46 PM

The Z3 Coup� is pretty cool actually, it a bit weird but looks good (as opposed to the roadster version) and it's pretty rare so that makes it even cooler. The 3.0 in your Z3 was a special version actually, it was the first generation of the 3.0, which replaced the 2.8, and it develops 225bhp in the Z3. The version of this engine found in the other BMWs was one that developed 211bhp. Afterwards they had a small evolution and bumped it up to 231bhp now the new 258bhp adds stuff like Valvetronic.
Not that it matters but the engine in my Coupe has 231hp (170kw) - that's what's written in the registration papers. You can also see it when you check BMW Germany's used Car section. Direct links won't work so here's the nav path: "Gebrauchtwagenb�rse" > "Marke:BMW" > "Modellreihe:Z3" > "Karosserieform:Coupe" > "Ergebnis anzeigen"

But yeah, I love my Coupe - will try to keep it around for a long time.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2005, 06:19 AM

I stand corrected.

willed
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2005, 06:34 AM

I saw a couple of new 3 series driving around here the other day with tape all over them, I guess to conceal their identity as I don't think they've been officially released just yet here. They must have been something with the Cowley Motor Works factory, just a couple of miles from here where BMW makes the Mini. Couldn't really pass much judgement because of the camouflage, but they looked okay.

Forum Links
Forum Rules