Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > CenterStage - Mac Media Center

CenterStage - Mac Media Center
conny
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2005, 02:10 AM

I don't know if you all know about the CenterStage project. It's an open source project to build the best media center application for the mac. It's pluggable both on the backend (functionality) and the frontend (UI). The development has just started and a first demo is expected in a couple of weeks.
Development os going fine and we have a nice architecture for extending the application with more features and will provide an SDK for anyone to build new media plugins.
What's not decided on yet is the UI. It will be skinnable but we need to decide on a default UI which should be as good looking and easy to use as possible.
That's why I'm asking the members of this forum to head over to the CenterStage GUI forum to look at what's being designed and to provide valuable feedback and maybe even step up and create some GUI mockups.
I'm asking this because I know there is so many talented designers hanging out in this forum and it would be invaluable to have your feedback on the project.
After all we all want to have cool useful apps for the mac and if this turns out the way we want it it can vey well be one of the cooler apps to use for your new mac mini hooked up to that new Plasma flat screen TV of yours.

And if any of you are experienced Cocoa programmers, your welcome to help out as well on the development side. We would especially need someone with knowledge in defining skin formats and writing custom UI widgets. We have some very skilled programmers coding on the backend and a very good lead programmer.

Homepage: http://centerstageproject.com/
GUI Forum: http://centerstageproject.com/forum/...play.php?fid=5

Conny
Development team spokesperson

siMac
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2005, 03:05 PM

Sounds like an interesting project, but if you want to impress the people at this forum as far as GUI is concerned then all you need to do is stick to the Apple guidelines and don't use any non-standard elements.

Maybe try running a ShapeShifter theme in various stages of development to see how well the app takes to being themed?
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2005, 04:13 PM

Take a look at that link to the thread on the program - it's not like a normal app. It runs in fullscreen and is designed for viewing on TV (right?). So it wouldn't use standard elements.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2005, 05:41 PM

It looks very nice. the UI mockups are very impressive too. Makes me want to start getting into theming again. Unfortunately this iBook is painful for all that.

=(. Maybe I'll buy a cheapy PC to get some work done.

conny  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2005, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by siMac:
Sounds like an interesting project, but if you want to impress the people at this forum as far as GUI is concerned then all you need to do is stick to the Apple guidelines and don't use any non-standard elements.

Maybe try running a ShapeShifter theme in various stages of development to see how well the app takes to being themed?
As monkeybrain pointed out, this is to be displayed on a TV. Aqua was not designed for this. We will definitely try to adhere to any guidelines where they make sense but this app will most of the time be controlled via a remote control so many of the guidelines don't apply. It's definitely a challenge to design a UI where you don't have a mouse (but you could) and just a couple of buttons to press.

It's like Windows Media Center but we are of course trying to make it far far better both functionally and visually.

far200
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2005, 10:34 PM

Looks like a good project.

Will you look at adding video capture to you media software... It would great to capture tv then burn it to dvd.... and what about using bluetooth and a mouse for your remote.....

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2005, 12:12 AM

Slow site. Some of the mockups are incredible, while some make baby jesus cry. Disappointed that so many voted for the American spelling of center/centre, but them's the breaks. I hope this project will play all the file formats VLC can.

Overall, I will be eagerly waiting for this app.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 12:32 AM

That's actually pretty cool. When I "upgrade" to a new mini in a year or so, I'll want to do something with this one. Having that app would be great. Especially for music.

I'd use the music part.

Wouldn't use the iPhoto part unless I could browse NON-iPhoto folders. In other words, screw iPhoto. Let me berowse my Pictures folder from within the app. Or at least include the option to.

Would use Movies part if I could view video files on the TV screen. ALL videos. Not just QT ones, but anything WMP or VLC can view.

DVD player would be nice, but I probably wouldn't use it as I already have.. [Counts players] Xbox.. PS2.. DVD Recorder.. too many DVD players already.

TV, I don't need it. I have a TiVo. And I won't buy an eyeTV just to do the same thing. I'll stick to my TiVo's UI.

Chatting is neat. But I guess I'd need a wireless keyboard. Now, if you could use the iSight too, I might just buy one. Nah..

What would be better is if the screens rotated like a Cube when you switch to them.

It'll only be good if it looks like it came out of Apple themselves. Too bad Apple themselves won't do this... yet.

Edit: Also, It's gonna need Rendezvous networking to access files on oher Macs. I don't plan on keeping all the files on the "Media Mac".
( Last edited by Jasoco; Feb 15, 2005 at 12:38 AM. )

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2005, 11:12 PM

I would definitely use Tivo-like functions. I own a tuner, but would consider buying a nice shiny Elgato if this app rocks my bollocks. A do-it-all media app.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 12:59 AM

I just want something to supplement my TiVo, not replace it. I want something to bring functionallity to the void that's left by TiVo's so-called "Home Media" features.

As I mentioned, I want to be able to play my iTunes, (While upping the playcount, adjust/view ratings, everything TiVo can do.) view my images, (That are NOT IN iPhoto, dammit! Is that too much to ask? A browser?? Not all images are photos. Not all images are kept in iPhoto.) and view my video files. (MPG, MOV, AVI, WMP, Everything.)

If MMC can't do it, I'll just have to hook up a straight mini to the TV and forget the user friendly UI and just use Aqua on the horribly compressed and cramped resolution of the TV.

Forum Links
Forum Rules