Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What features are you most looking forward to in Tiger

View Poll Results: What feature are you most looking forward to in Tiger?
Poll Options:
Spotlight 128 votes (31.92%)
Dashboard 91 votes (22.69%)
New Safari RSS 9 votes (2.24%)
New Mail 35 votes (8.73%)
New iChat AV 22 votes (5.49%)
Automater 23 votes (5.74%)
Voiceover 0 votes (0%)
System Preference's Parental Controls 3 votes (0.75%)
.Mac Systemwide Sync 12 votes (2.99%)
New Quicktime 18 votes (4.49%)
New Finder 28 votes (6.98%)
Other 32 votes (7.98%)
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll
What features are you most looking forward to in Tiger (Page 2)
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2005, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by tkmd:
Spotlight- I dont care for it. I mean I really think its going to slow the system down. Even after the 2 hours just baseline indexing after Tiger installation (remember the "indexing" during the OS 9 days?)
That depends on how it's implemented. It should, in theory, only affect three things: saving files, deleting files, and displaying files in the Finder (and then only for Smart Folders). These are the only times the Spotlight database needs to be accessed. Other than these, the only way it should affect performance would be the time it takes to display one extra menu item, which is pretty negligible.

If Spotlight is properly implemented, there shouldn't be a need for dedicated "indexing time" after the baseline index is done. Instead, when a file is saved or deleted, the Spotlight index should be updated to match. Since it sounds like they plan to use SQLite for working with the index, that shouldn't cause much of a speed hit at all.

The one area where this stands to cause any kind of real performance hit would be in terms of RAM usage. SQLite itself doesn't have a lot of overhead, but the actual database will probably take up several megs.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

zzarg
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2005, 11:20 AM

for me the killer will be a sync service that keeps me Entourage, iCal, T610 (soon to be A1000) and Palm all in sync without 3rd party hacks and kludges.

after that... performance and stability

An improved Safari is great (stability, performance, rendering), but I'm scared Desktop will take too much processing power to be useful.
Spotlight sounds interesting but unless it can actually organise me (and work with Entourage) I can't see it changing my world

I just want a shipping date so I know if to buy my new machine now and fork out for Tiger a week later, or wait 2 weeks and get it bundled !

OtisWild
Mar 12, 2005, 12:45 PM

Services menu in right-click.

I really want to see that in the Finder and everywhere else. As it is, there's no real linkage between the two at a systems level (Services is cocoa, Finder is carbon).

Services is super super useful, and right-click (or ctrl-click in single-button-mouse-speak) is great for context-specific menus. The two should be joined so that if I right-click on a link I get a services context menu that shows me all the services for a URL datatype, if I right-click on a highlighted email address I should get a services context menu to send email to that address, if I right-click on a window or title bar I should get a services context menu to run Grab on that thing, etc.

It could be very cool, much better than any other UI's right-mouse.

OtisWild
Mar 12, 2005, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by travism:
Mail is a pretty nice application and could use some upgrades. I would love to see it work with gpg (if it does already, I haven't out how).
It does already.

http://www.sente.ch/software/GPGMail/

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
Core Image, but it's not on there.
That's why I voted for Quicktime.

Radish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2005, 02:55 PM

I'm waiting for the QuickTime Player app to be dragged out of the dark ages and given Cocoa underpinnings and a better UI. It's still crappy Carbon!
iQuickTime maybe?
Phew! For a minute there, I lost myself...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2005, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by Radish:
I'm waiting for the QuickTime Player app to be dragged out of the dark ages and given Cocoa underpinnings and a better UI. It's still crappy Carbon!

Why do you care what Apple uses to make it? Unless you're on the development team, it doesn't make any difference to you at all.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Marook
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2005, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by travism:
Spotlight sounds like something that may be useful but I just don't see how often I will need to do a more inclusive search than what a locate or whereis can already do for me.
It seems liek people is not really getting what Spotlight is all about. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it's ALL about Metadata.

Locate: search for files where query match something in the path of the file.
Whereis: search for applications in the default bin/ paths.

Spotlight: Search every file or applications data where there is a Spotlight plugin enabled. This means EXIF data in photos and QuickTime movies.
It means free-text of text or PDF document.
It means select an Address Book name card and select 'Spotlight <name>' to get a complete list of ALL places this persons name or details are mentions on your system.

This list goes on, and will expand when the API goes public. This feature is gonna blow Google Desktop and M$ Search into neverland.
Marook
At least - it's a reply...

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2005, 05:08 PM

I am really excited about spotlight.

I am constantly tagging my music files in iTunes so I can find them faster and come up with more creative and useful smart playlists. The ability to do this with the rest of my files in the Finder will be something I look forward to.

It's not that I am bad at keeping my files organized. In fact, I do a pretty good job. But where Spotlight will help me is by being able to pull together a list of files that are not necessarily in the same folder or category, but are related in some way.

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 08:19 PM

Resolution independent UI. Surprised no-one's mentioned this yet.
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2005, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by Tyler McAdams:
That's why I voted for Quicktime.
Hey, you're right. Just watched the WWDC again. Any app that can take advantage of QuickTime can use Core Image. So my vote will go to QuickTime.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

dru
Senior User
Mar 12, 2005, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by andreas_g4:
New FInder, hands down.
Right! It can't be as unstable as the old 'new' Finders now can it? *grumble*

Seriously, the Finder in Panther is SLOW in a folder with a non-trivial number of items and secondly, heaven help you if you're making routine use of thumbnail previews because the Finder will die off (do I smell memory leaks?)
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by Geobunny:
No one has any idea if it will be done by the time Tiger arrives...

dru
Senior User
Mar 12, 2005, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:

Why do you care what Apple uses to make it? Unless you're on the development team, it doesn't make any difference to you at all.
Quicktime sucks. MPEG2 playback is not nearly as efficient via Quicktime Pro with MPEG2 as the open source, crossplatform project VLC. Quicktime Pro is brain dead as well. You can PLAYBACK movies that you can't EXPORT because it'll suddenly say there's no damned video or sound track. It has no clue about how to export if it has to demux. This is ridiculous!
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by dru:
Quicktime sucks. MPEG2 playback is not nearly as efficient via Quicktime Pro with MPEG2 as the open source, crossplatform project VLC. Quicktime Pro is brain dead as well. You can PLAYBACK movies that you can't EXPORT because it'll suddenly say there's no damned video or sound track. It has no clue about how to export if it has to demux. This is ridiculous!
Which has what to do with Carbon?
Chuck
___

JEB
Mar 13, 2005, 12:19 AM

Well, I gotta admit, all the acknowledgement Apple's been getting of late, really kicks-boooty. OSX 10.3 / iLife '04 and '05 . . . no virii . . . what's not to like already?

I think I choose Spotlight . . . but not for myself, but for how much other people will!!!

This is what the masses will be helped by most, including my in-laws (hopefully), sister, mom, etc.

Hopefully Spotlight will make people close to all of us at home, and work . . . become less teckno-phobic, and reaaaalllly enjoy Macs . . . if you get my drift.
'Simplify. Simplify.' --Thoreau

garyp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2005, 02:03 AM

Core Graphics wasn't even in the poll, but it is the Tiger feature that I , as an artist, most look forward to.

drbones666
Mar 13, 2005, 06:31 AM

I still remember Apples promise of a .mac address FOR FREE for the rest of our lives. With that out of the way, I'd like to see an iSync program that doesn't require a .mac account.

ja
Mar 13, 2005, 07:20 AM

Core Image.

Having used the 30-day Motion trial as an indicator of what is to come, I'd say that this is easily the most important addition that will be in Tiger. It won't be obvious straight away as developers will need to integrate it into their apps, but the power it will offer in the future will hopefully be incredible.
I am definitely looking forward to spotlight and Mail [and Addressbook smart folders!], but I agree that Core Image is going to be a killer.
It is going to lead a a very Adobe-alternative world. very powerful tool for developers

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2005, 08:29 AM

I voted for Automator, of course

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2005, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by drbones666:
I still remember Apples promise of a .mac address FOR FREE for the rest of our lives. With that out of the way, I'd like to see an iSync program that doesn't require a .mac account.
It's sad to hear that your memory is fading. You know, I've always heard that the hallucinations are the first step...

simX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2005, 08:20 PM

I still remember Apples promise of a .mac address FOR FREE for the rest of our lives.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2005, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by ja:
I am definitely looking forward to spotlight and Mail [and Addressbook smart folders!], but I agree that Core Image is going to be a killer.
It is going to lead a a very Adobe-alternative world. very powerful tool for developers
How will offloading image filters to the graphics card "lead to a very Adobe-alternative world"? Do you reckon somebody would've written a Creative Suite-killer years ago if only he'd been able to figure out how to talk to the GPU?
Chuck
___

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2005, 10:13 PM

How will offloading image filters to the graphics card "lead to a very Adobe-alternative world"? Do you reckon somebody would've written a Creative Suite-killer years ago if only he'd been able to figure out how to talk to the GPU?
The CI toolkit has a lot of the hard math and manipulation already built into it. gaussian blur, color mods, transforming, rotation... you get the idea.

The offloading to the GPU is just icing for those people.

However, I'm not sure how it would work with outputting something like a blurred item? is there a rasterization process that has to happen?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2005, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by garyp:
Core Graphics wasn't even in the poll, but it is the Tiger feature that I , as an artist, most look forward to.
Core Image is a part of QuickTime, so vote for QuickTime.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2005, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
The CI toolkit has a lot of the hard math and manipulation already built into it. gaussian blur, color mods, transforming, rotation... you get the idea.
Yeah, but algorithms for those things are all either built into OS X (affine transforms) or freely available. I've never tried, so maybe there's some hump to graphics software that I just don't know about, but I find it hard to see how those can be the big obstacles to making a Photoshop-type app.

Originally posted by DeathMan:
However, I'm not sure how it would work with outputting something like a blurred item? is there a rasterization process that has to happen?
Since Quartz allows drawing into arbitrary contexts, I'd hope it's possible to use CoreImage in that drawing.
Chuck
___

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2005, 12:59 PM

How do you know you're still alive?

bd
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2005, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Geobunny:
what is that?

bd
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

SomeToast
Senior User
Mar 14, 2005, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by JEB:
no virii . . . what's not to like already?
Another mis-pluralization of "viruses"?

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2005, 01:36 PM

I don't think that any single one of these new technologies is somehow better than the others. Together they make for a fantastic new package that rawks!

I personally think Automator will be fantastic, as it allows one to chain commands and results and applications together the way one can do on the command line. Want to open a whole bunch of files in preview, resize them, save them, rename them in the finder numerically, then save them to a backup server? Automator will do that. The limits are only in the amount of support an application gives to AppleScript and Apple events.

But then there's dashboard. Want to roll a quick and dirty company client side groupware notification widget? Dashboard will let you do that. Work in a courier agency and need an app that gets incoming package notifications off a web server? Dashboard will let you do that. I think a lot of the doodahs that Apple supplies as default widgets are mainly eye candy, but Dashboard has real advantages in that it uses standard html/css/javascript, which, in conjunction with the crapload of stuff offered on the web these days in the form of web services and RSS feeds etc offer companies time saving mini applications that do what Microsoft's VBS/Windows Scripting/Active Desktop failed to do properly. (One place I used to work, we had our Notes based groupware in an Active Desktop window, but it never worked properly due to limitations of the technology)

And I agree with Diller that as soon as Core Image is out, there will be a rush of Image Editing apps trying to be Photoshop clones. However, the intricacies of actual fast pixel manipulation are still to be done. In other words you still have to write your own fast brushes etc. And this applies to vector graphics as well. Cocoa has supplied bezier editing stuff since its inception, and many apps, such as Omni Graffle use them, but none of them are anywhere near as fast as Illustrator or Freehand. I don't think it's realistic to expect code that has been continuously optimised for 15 years to be outdone with an overnight app.

In any case, I think Tiger will build on OSX' strengths and offer improvements that make its uptake both with consumers and businesses better.
weird wabbit

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2005, 03:32 PM

Some have complained about the attention given to Spotlight, saying, "I don't use a search tool at all anyways." Maybe Spotlight will give us a reason to START using it. When I switched to a Mac last year, there are things that I began to love that I never really wanted before because I didn't know they existed. Make sense? I'm optimistic about Spotlight, but I voted for Dashboard, mainly because I'm a hopeless sucker for the widgets. Mmmm..widgets!

silversurf2002
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2005, 02:57 AM

Apple should pull the finger and make both of these apps useable and open and adaptable so you can actually use them for business. I use them both, but they are severely constrained. I hope they do a major overhaul for Tiger
the meaning of life?
To be continued!!!

silversurf2002
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2005, 03:02 AM

(prior message)
I was just talking about voting for other...and addreess book and in particular iCal!!
the meaning of life?
To be continued!!!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2005, 03:44 AM

Considering that Backup and iSync will be merged into .Mac Sync, it doe4sn't appear that you'll get your wish.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2005, 04:04 AM

I'm most excited about Optimized Kernel Locking in Tiger-it should provide a modest performance boost to Dual Processor Systems

Secondly, I'm hoping for GPU accellerated UI that'll make the UI feel more snappy

Finally, I hope they make Safari on par in rendering speed with the Web Browsers on Windows PCs.
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

rjudd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2005, 09:06 AM

I'm looking forward to using Java 5.

Shame the SDK takes a lot longer to come out on X than x86 Linux or Windows.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2005, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by MacGallant:
I'm most excited about Optimized Kernel Locking in Tiger-it should provide a modest performance boost to Dual Processor Systems

Secondly, I'm hoping for GPU accellerated UI that'll make the UI feel more snappy

Finally, I hope they make Safari on par in rendering speed with the Web Browsers on Windows PCs.
Exactly.

OtisWild
Mar 15, 2005, 02:51 PM

This is not necessarily true. There's stuff related to the Finder in particular that is cannot cross the divide in a consistent way. The underlying technology matters when it can't be properly or cleanly integrated from app to app.

Everything Apple does needs to be Cocoa, with proper framework support and all the flexibility that Cocoa can provide. Carbon is really supposed to be a porting layer, nothing new or built into the OS from Apple should be using it anymore.

OtisWild
Mar 15, 2005, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
Considering that Backup and iSync will be merged into .Mac Sync, it doe4sn't appear that you'll get your wish.
I use iSync to keep my P800 sync'd. Is iSync going away?

Talk about a reason to NOT upgrade...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2005, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by OtisWild:
This is not necessarily true. There's stuff related to the Finder in particular that is cannot cross the divide in a consistent way. The underlying technology matters when it can't be properly or cleanly integrated from app to app.
What are you talking about? And more importantly, what does it have to do with QuickTime Player?

Everything Apple does needs to be Cocoa, with proper framework support and all the flexibility that Cocoa can provide. Carbon is really supposed to be a porting layer, nothing new or built into the OS from Apple should be using it anymore.
Do you have anything but your say-so to back this up?

If Carbon were only meant to be a "porting layer," then it wouldn't make much sense for Apple to deprecate most of the Cocoa menu API in favor of Menu Manager, or for several other Cocoa types (such as NSDocument) to be built on top of Carbon calls. Never mind the fact that Apple is constantly updating Carbon to make it more convenient and Cocoa-like to create applications with (see HIView and support for nibs).
Chuck
___

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2005, 04:33 PM

This is not necessarily true. There's stuff related to the Finder in particular that is cannot cross the divide in a consistent way.
Untrue.
The underlying technology matters when it can't be properly or cleanly integrated from app to app.
Always possible. Not always clean, and the effort is sadly not always put in, but it's even possible to call Cocoa windows from Carbon apps.
Carbon is really supposed to be a porting layer, nothing new or built into the OS from Apple should be using it anymore.
Either you're a Cocoa zealot, or you don't know what Carbon is.

It is true that back in the earliest days of OSX -as in, well before even the Public Beta was released- Carbon was considered a porting layer. Apple decided against going this route well before OSX's release, however, and now supports Carbon on an equal footing with Cocoa. The two codebases are slowly merging, in fact, so that eventually Cocoa will itself be a layer on top of Carbon. This process began in 10.2, with Carbon's HIView system; several Cocoa controls (including NSButton, arguably the most commonly-used Cocoa class out there) are now implemented on top of it.

The integration is, admittedly, not yet at the point where you can freely mix controls from the two systems in the same window. However, it is possible to use Cocoa windows from Carbon apps, and vice versa.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2005, 04:43 PM

OT: wow you're over 10k Millennium.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2005, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
several Cocoa controls (including NSButton, arguably the most commonly-used Cocoa class out there) are now implemented on top of it.

The integration is, admittedly, not yet at the point where you can freely mix controls from the two systems in the same window. However, it is possible to use Cocoa windows from Carbon apps, and vice versa.
The second paragraph here is pretty much what I thought, but in that case, how can NSButton be "implemented on top of it"?
Chuck
___

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2005, 07:39 PM

I voted Finder (read-only FTP, bugginess in views, etc), but I'm really looking forward to the third party stuff that's gonna be going on in Tiger. I can't wait to see applications like Adium, Quicksilver, Growl, and Desktop Manager take advantage of all the sweet new Tiger developer APIs.

"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

OtisWild
Mar 17, 2005, 03:31 PM

Untrue.

Always possible. Not always clean, and the effort is sadly not always put in, but it's even possible to call Cocoa windows from Carbon apps.

Either you're a Cocoa zealot, or you don't know what Carbon is.
OK then, how do you address the Services menu from a context-sensitive menu finder plugin? How do you do the translation between AEDescLists and NSMenus?

It may very well be possible. It is certainly unpleasant.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2005, 04:32 PM

What happened to the email triggered coffee machine ?

-t

undotwa
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2005, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by SomeToast:
Another mis-pluralization of "viruses"?
As a latinist, this is a personal beef of mine. People often insist using Latin plurals in English even though they don't know how to use them in Latin. Just because there is 'us' doesn't mean it forms the plural in 'i'. Virus, after all, has no plural. 'cornus' forms the plural as 'cornus' (4th declension noun). Corpus forms the plural as 'corpera' etc. (3rd declension NEUTER noun). Only 2nd declension masculine nouns form the plural like this.
In vino veritas.

travism
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2005, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Dog Like Nature:
You've never used Solaris? Tru64? HP-UX? What kind of UNIX guru are you??
a poor one who has only messed with the free BSDs. Well at least with actual system administration experience. I _may_ play around with Solaris x86 on my test box but I don't know how it will like ancient Compaq hardware and I haven't begun to look at how nicely it will play with my Windows/Slackware/FreeBSD set up that currently lives on that box (It maily runs as a FreeBSD web server but I test web server things under linux and windows as well to simulate different environments)
UNIX guru

"I'd not even run X11 if not for the fact I like to browse webpages with color and images"

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2005, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
I voted Finder (read-only FTP, bugginess in views, etc), but I'm really looking forward to the third party stuff that's gonna be going on in Tiger. I can't wait to see applications like Adium, Quicksilver, Growl, and Desktop Manager take advantage of all the sweet new Tiger developer APIs.

Most likely, Adium won't take full advantage of alot of Tiger. Right now they can do alot more, but won't for the sake of backwards compatibility with 10.2 (which will stop being supported when 10.4 is released)

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2005, 08:16 PM

This process began in 10.2, with Carbon's HIView system; several Cocoa controls (including NSButton, arguably the most commonly-used Cocoa class out there) are now implemented on top of it.
Stop claiming that non-sense. No Cocoa views � and therefore none of the Cocoa controls � are nor will be based on HIViews.

Forum Links
Forum Rules